New Scenario--The Italian Wars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtsibling
    I would let Exile use the fort GFX first, then borrow it after release...

You´re right. I should wait until Exile has finished and release his scenario.
    American War of Independence
    A Divided Nation - US Civilwar

Comment

My playtest (as the Italians) is going well, and I should be ready for some reporting soon: where do you want it, here or by pm?

Note: very, very enjoyable to play! more comments in the report!
      Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
      Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
      POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
      LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Go ahead and report here.
        Lost in America.
        "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
        "or a very good liar." --Stefu
        "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

Cooked my pc last night playing this on MGE. Does anyone know a maxed-out-processor fix for MGE, like the one made for ToT?
          http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Sorry to hear that Gareth. That why your email doesn't work?

Work continues. Much updated version now. Still bug-fixing and engineering. Nomenclature altered.
            Lost in America.

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
              Cooked my pc last night playing this on MGE. Does anyone know a maxed-out-processor fix for MGE, like the one made for ToT?
              I sent you a link to one a while ago, I tried it myslef recently however and it didn't work for me...

You might try underclocking your cpu if your bios settings will allow that
              Sea Kings TOT

Sors salutis/ et virtutis/ michi nunc contraria,/ est affectus/ et defectus/ semper in angaria./
              Hac in hora/ sine mora/ corde pulsem tangite;/ quod per sortem/ sternit fortem,/ mecum omnes plangite!

Comment

Woohoo.

I've got two happy wonders and a number of techs free. Keeping in mind this one only runs from 1494-1544, does anyone have any pet ideas they'd like to see implemented?

Been looking for days and can't find anything that suits me. contemporary Religion in Italy was a swamp. Wasn't making anybody happy.

Preparing to revamp tech tree and paradigm, possibly--next on the agenda.
                Lost in America.

Comment

Originally posted by Exile
                  Sorry to hear that Gareth. That why your email doesn't work?
                  E-mail is malfunctioning again, but I don't think that has anything to do with MGE overloading my processor; that's a function of the bad code by the civII team. There's no lasting damage to my PC but I can't run the risk of running MGE on it any more

Can you PM me ?
                  http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

WONDERS

Well.. a suggestion can be
                    "The stake/burning of Savonarola"
                    he was a powerful monk, that had great influence on Firenze that time, and was "friend" of Carl VIII..
                    this, and the verbal attacks he did against corrupted religion..
                    made his enemies grow in numbers..

In 1498 when Medici rule again in florence.. they arrest him as heretic.. and execute him in public square..

Maybe this event had made some people happy/quiete..

Another one can be :
                    "The Amerigo Vespucci expedition"
                    in 1497 along with
                    Juan de la Cosa he reach America.. better he reach the land that will receive his name..
                    Also this one maybe can be seen as a happy moment of glory..

Comment

Originally posted by Von Bert
                      WONDERS

Well.. a suggestion can be
                      "The stake/burning of Savonarola"
                      In 1498 when Medici rule again in florence.. they arrest him as heretic.. and execute him in public square..
                      Maybe this event had made some people happy/quiete..

Another one can be :
                      "The Amerigo Vespucci expedition"
                      in 1497 along with Juan de la Cosa he reach America.. better he reach the land that will receive his name..
                      Also this one maybe can be seen as a happy moment of glory..
                      good suggestions
                      "Dilexi iustitiam, odivi iniquitatem, propterea morior in exilio" [PAPA GREGORIUS VII +1085] - ("He amado la justicia, he odiado la iniquidad, por eso muero en exilio") - ("I loved justice, I hated unfairness, that's why I die in exile") - (J'ai aimé la justice, j'ai détesté l'iniquité, c'est pourquoi je meurs en exil") - ("Ich liebte Gerechtigkeit und hasste Ungerechtigkeit, deshalb sterbe ich im Exil")

Comment

things continue . . . .

Read about Savonarola. Seems like he did just the opposite of a happy wonder though.

Sadly, looks like the helicopter/fortress idea doesn't work. The thing does get the defensive benefit of being in a city, but the interaction I was hoping for between siege artillery, fortresses, and bombardment isn't going to work. Looks like the siege artillery unit is superfluous. Von Bert, it just won't work.

The tech paradigm is now at 4. might yet go down to 3. A rework and polishing of the tech tree is about all that's left. The numbers all seem to work the way they're intended.

Might still be a few text bugs.
                        Lost in America.

Comment

Re: things continue . . . .

Read about Savonarola. Seems like he did just the opposite of a happy wonder though.
                          More like a police station.

Sadly, looks like the helicopter/fortress idea doesn't work. The thing does get the defensive benefit of being in a city, but the interaction I was hoping for between siege artillery, fortresses, and bombardment isn't going to work. Looks like the siege artillery unit is superfluous. Von Bert, it just won't work.
                          Rats! I had high hopes for this idea. When I tested it, I saw some strange results (i.e. normal air fighter not working as expected against a normal air helo). Any chance that this is slot-specific? Must domains = 1? Must mf>0? Terrain have an effect? When I have a chance, I'm going to test further.
                          El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

What we would expect, that ground units could NOT attack the air unit-helicopter-fortress, isn't the case. No matter where they were, ground units seem to be able to attack a "0" range air unit.

The bombardment-air units did NOT receive any kind of bonus that I could detect attacking the heli/fortresses.

I didn't test

1.) giving the fortress any other range

2.) roles. Just put the role of the fortress on "defend."

3.) slots. There might be hope here. Weird, hardwired slots are often the answer to questions like these.

This one is very near completion. A final tweak of the tech tree and a week or so of looking for bugs and it'll be released.
                            Last edited by Exile; March 18, 2007, 19:59.
                            Lost in America.

Comment

helicopter/fortress? :O
                              mmhhh.. i dunno.. but what i imagined maybe it was a
                              paradrop-sea-carrier ( Werd did actually ! )
                              that can be tested-used as out-of-town-fortress, if it is what u need.
                              The downside is that you must give each city a "sea-town" flag to let them build it.. and make house rule to NOT move them on sea.
                              So what happen is:
                              you build a fortress.. u can then paradrop it on land (it work!) then, as the "ship" is now "high and dry".. it will not move anymore.
                              In a test i did the fortress was attacked by enemy land units..
                              I tried to give it a defense of 10, as it will defend like "ship in port".. and was getting somehow resistent to attacks.
                              I suggest also if u use it.. that u hide the health bar..
                              why ? cause u never know when a besieged fortress is going to surrender..
                              So.. the fortress will be a static units.. move-just-once..
                              maybe "researched" after the artillery start to get in use.
                              sure.. the AI will not use it properly i suppose..

Savonarola ? LOL yep you are right.. is the "reverse" of a wonder..or somehow a police station..
                              is for this that the wonder could be.. "the burning at stake of him as heretic".. LOL .. well not a lot of laugh maybe..
                              but some laugh..
                              Last edited by Von Bert; March 19, 2007, 06:15.

Comment

It took me longer than expected, but here it is at last!

The comments might seem a bit "rough", but I don't have much time to "polish" my post!

So I played a full game as the Italians at King level. Here is, in short, the things I observed:

- At the end of 1544, I had conquered all of Sardinia, all the original cities on "continental" Italy except for Rome, Benevento, Gaeta, Maples, Cartagena, Taranto, Crotone, Reggio and Otranto which were still in the hands of their original owners

- I was at peace with the french for the whole game (easy!), and waged war against Tuscans, Papacy, Venitians and Napolitans one after the other, in that order

- for the 1st part I built mainly infrastructure and trade, which allowed me to cruise along the tech tree (without micromanagement of any kind)

- I never felt any risk of losing any city as the defense/offense ratio is geared towards defense

- your readme says that the game ends in 1544, but there is nothing forcing you to do so in game, so I guess you might set a maximum number of turns in the Scenario Parameters

- sometimes, an empty window (message) opens during the AI turn: do you still need to finalize something about it?

- I NEVER had any timber: is that normal (and yes, I peeked in the event, and yes Turin was in my hands!)

- the AI is fully unable to take any city with walls: maybe the Heavy cannons stats should be increased (or given the ignore city walls flag)? I think I didn't see any "protected" city change hands (except to fall into mine )

- I tried the siege artillery + bombardment: it is useless! so I relied on vet h. cannons and vet arquebusiers to take cities

The tech paradigm is now at 4. might yet go down to 3.
                                - I would leave it as it is as I was able to get all of them (and am no great player)!

Apart from those minor points, it is a very good scen, Exile: I had a great time playing it!
                                Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
                                Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
                                POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
                                LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Working...
                                X