No announcement yet.

Ancient/Pre-Steam Unit Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought I sent you the updates I did for the AoB file Phenix - I'll e-mail again
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I for one love the idea for an ox driven chariot! Though I wasn't aware they had actually been put to use in such a way before. I have to ask, were these ever intended for a specific scenario Gareth? The complete bronze age unit set I mean? Surely you must have had some idea in your head for a scenario to inspire such a great compilation. It seems you've done the hardest part already in simply making the units, all it needs now is a scenario maker to put them to the appropriate use.
      Last edited by Sarsstock; May 12, 2005, 15:33.

Comment

Start a new thread Sarsstock, I'd like to comment without muddying up the thread.

Comment

The Graphics Showcases should probably be retopped. I think they work better that way. There is too much of an Out-of-Sight-Out-of-Mind effect in play.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Man, Gareth, you're really inspiring me to do a new ancient Oriental scenario! If that Hun thing I've been working on for a year now does not become my swan song...
            Follow the masses!
            30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Hey Stefan - welcome back

Excellent news about the Hun scenario - let me know if you need any gfx for it. Let's hope it's not your swan song as we're desperately in need of quality none-WW2 scenarios

Talking of which, I demand that someone makes me a Trojan Wars scenario.

I know Allard made one, but it's one of his earlier efforts and things have moved on.

Here's some Achaean warriors from the period. Forget the laughable quasi-Classical Greek armour seen in the execrable Brad Pitt flick; these guys were Mycenaeans and their contempories and I've based the units on Mycenaean frescos, finds and Peter Connolley's recreations thereof. I'll gladly make up some Troiadans and city gfx if anyone is prepared to take up the challenge.
              Attached Files

Comment

outstanding!
                I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Excellent work, as always, Gareth

I might be tempted to do such a scenario - after Gettysburg. I have some ideas about such a scenario by now ...

Comment

please make that scenario happen!
                    "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                    It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Originally posted by jim panse
                      Excellent work, as always, Gareth

I might be tempted to do such a scenario - after Gettysburg. I have some ideas about such a scenario by now ...
                      Good man Stephan.

Now I demand that someone makes me a Mesoamerican scenario

OK, I know there are a couple out there, but they're not very accurate when it comes to representing the Mexica (Aztec) military. In reality, the Mexica army was highly disciplined and rigidly heirarchical force with strict uniforms, shield designs and even hairstyles distinguishing rank and experience. I've based these gfx on the illustrations in the 16th century Codex Mendosa, which lays out the uniforms and shield patterns of the various ranks of the Mexica Army. There were six basic ranks of soldier excluding the mass of novice peasants, and progression from one rank to the next was achieved by capturing hapless enemies for sacrifice. Soldiers who had captured 4 enemies joined the military orders of the Jaguars or Eagles, which were otherwise the preserve of the nobility. Veterans who captured 5 enemy progressed to the Otontin military order and real heroes who had captured 6 could either become an officer or join the elite Cuachicqueh; these nutters took a vow to fight to the death and never retreat before the enemy, and led the army into battle.

There was a parallel ranking system for warrior priests with their own uniforms, also based on captives taken - I've included a 4-captive ranker as an example.

It strikes me this 'captive' system of rank could be simulated in civ by having only lower ranks buildable and awarding higher rankers via events by killing an enemy....
                      Attached Files

Comment

@fairline - I'm just starting a mythological age scenario in the Bronze and Classical Ages of Europe - the Middle East - North Africa, plus Atlantis, and many of these units could be very useful to me.

I'm not sure on the protocols; would I be allowed to use them?

UDB

Comment

Help yourself EDB

The general etiquette is that anything posted here is free for use by anyone unless the originator specifically requests otherwise. Please leave author's sigs on the graphic.

Comment

Some myth units.

1)'careful with that axe' Eugene the minotaur
                            2) catapult Polyphemos cyclops
                            3) the great god Pan
                            4) centaur archer
                            Attached Files

Comment

I was transferring stuff from my old knackered computer to my new one and I came across these Napoleonic Brits in 1812-1815 uniforms. They were originally drawn for Eivind's proposed Waterloo scenario. What happened to that Eivind?

I would appreciate it if they weren't used as the basis for any mods just yet; I want to complete other nationalities first.
                              Attached Files

Comment

They're very good Fairline. Looking forward to the other nationalities.
                                "Peace cannot be kept by force.
                                It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

Working...
                                X