No announcement yet.

Empire of the Rising Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Harry, your ideas certainly have merit. The real issue remains however; the pacific war was primarily a naval conflict with the principal units of strength being aircraft carriers. This is the essence of the theatre. If the AI is incapable of using them in any rational way, then it makes the whole undertaking much more unrealistic.

I was delighted when I first purchased my MGE. It had East Wind/Rain on it, which was the first Pacific war scenario I had ever seen. How I was disappointed when I realized the severe limitations of the AI in regard to carrier warfare.

How much better things could be if both sides could be played by humans.

Oddly, this is one cavern where no one has delved. MGE has the capability to play simultaneously, thru I-net connect. I've only tried it once, and failed, I believe because I didn't have a high-speed connection at the time. Given that both sides have a high speed connect, I don't see why two people can't play a scenario simultaneously, just like people often do the vanilla/default game in other areas of this very site.

Lost in America.
    "a freaking mastermind." --Stefu
    "or a very good liar." --Stefu
    "Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.

Comment

edit
      Last edited by techumseh; December 24, 2004, 13:28.
      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

I wonder if the Japanes might require two types of battleships? One for their many older, WWI types and a second one for the state-of-the-art monsters of the Yamato class.
        Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
        Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Go with 2 types, the yamato and an older one
          don't do the kongo class, try something different
          use a Ise class, they look like they'll fit the type,
          use this page for reference

this site is a goldmine for ww2 navy info
          I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
          Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
          Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

Like Exile, I wonder why no-one actually tries to get a real MP game of CIV2 going here.

Imagine something like Red Front, but with human players!

Top notch!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

No MP-Game please...
              Alles ist möglich! Nichts wird uns aufhalten!
              Solidarität mit Island!

Join the Þ ß ð ä ö ü õ - Front!

Comment

Sorry I took so long responding, people. Thanks for the additional units, typhoon, they should help greatly! As for the issue of carrier and amphibious warfare, I've read your warnings and advice very carefully, but I think that events related solutions would likely work better than just giving the US starting carriers and marines and letting them sit or be wasted. However, what if I set the US carriers' attack rating to 0 to avoid suicide attacks (vanilla civ carriers only have a 1 anyway). Any thoughts on how (and if) that could work?

Comment

I'm just glad such a good scenario is generating so much discussion. I guess there is still a great hunger for a Pacific War scenario.

Comment

Say, could I ask someone to make me a good atomic bomber unit (just a generic bomber to use as an early nuke equivalent). Other than Communist Chinese insurgents, neutral garrison, and US home forces units, I've got all the unit graphics I really need.

@Sarsstock: I too am pleased at the abundance of input on this scen. And, great flags, Chris!

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling

Like Exile, I wonder why no-one actually tries to get a real MP game of CIV2 going here.
                      Although I'm not sure whether you mean PBEM or some other form of MP, I think that there are several reasons.

MP games tend to take a very long time to play because about the best that can be expected is that each player will take a day to make his/her move. This problem is compounded when players are scattered across many time zones.

When I first tripped across CFC and Poly I spent considerable time reading threads to get an idea about the sites and the individual forums. I recall two posts by players A and B where player A was looking for a MP game and player B's response (IIRC, this is an accurate paraphrase) was that "I suspect that you have been reloading but, sure, let's have a game".

To make sure that I wasn't talking BS, I just took a look at the Poly PBEM forum and found this gem of a post by a player who has also been very active in the various Democracy games at Poly.

Originally posted by conmcb25
                      My patience for delays in PBEMs is at an all time low.

Probably because Ive only finished ONE in about 20 months of playing
                      Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                      Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

Originally posted by curtsibling

Imagine something like Red Front, but with human players!

Top notch!

Kobra (also known as eivind) and I once started playing a game of Second Reich by Michael Jeszenka together in a network game. We didn't get very far because he had to get going (time zone difference) but it certainly is fun and doable.

Comment

@ Patine

Here's some B29s by fairline. The one in the centre is the Enola Gay, the plane which dropped the Hiroshima bomb.

Comment

what was the plane that carried the Nagasaki bomb
                            I am not delusional! Now if you'll excuse me, i'm gonna go dance with the purple wombat who's playing show-tunes in my coffee cup!
                            Rules are like Egg's. They're fun when thrown out the window!
                            Difference is irrelevant when dosage is higher than recommended!

Comment

If I'm not wrong it was Bock's Car, flown by Captain Frederick C. Bock.

Comment

You're almost right, the plane's name was 'Bockscar'. It was named after its commander Capt. F.C. Bocks. But on this mission the plane was flown by Major Sweeney, Capt. Bock was flying an observation plane. The primary target was Kokura, but because of the heavy clouds and smoke, they chosed the secondary target, Nagasaki.

Flying is man's second biggest experience. lLanding is the first.

Comment

Working...
                                X