No announcement yet.

Empire of the Rising Sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harlan Thompson did a reasonably good scenario on this topic. I'd recomend that you have a look at that for some ideas (and steal his kick-arse map while you're at it ).
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Thanks, guys! Now I essentially have 3 maps to choose from, which is great! Anymore help of any kind would be greatly appreciated (especially names of Pacific island settlements at the time; I think many of their colonial names differ from their modern names).

Comment

Oh, and @typhoon, I do agree that the Dutch should be their own civ on reconsideration, but the Thai were a staunch Japanese ally. I think maybe, as Nepal, Bhutan, and Outer Mongolia (the three real neutrals) were essentially insignificant militarily compared to the beligerants, I'll just make their three capitals barbarian cities with immobile defenders (though that would lump them with my plans for the Communist Chinese, the barbarian slot is a good enough one for such things).

Comment

New version of the Japanese infantry. I think its a deprovement. Patine, up to you to choose.
          Last edited by typhoon; December 22, 2004, 13:06.

Comment

Thanks a lot, typhoon, but could I request a minor adjustment? I would like you to, if you could, adjust the shields of one or the other set so they have red rays coming out of the dot, like the Japanese war flag of the day (as opposed to their modern flag). If you could do this little touch-up, I'd be most obliged.

Comment

I have a rising sun shield on hand Patine. Why don't you give me a list of all the civ's and nationalities you want included in this game and I will provide you with the apropriate flagset.

Comment

I hope that you can find a way to include a couple of uniquely Japanese units, the suicide aircraft and the manned torpedo.

The rocket propelled suicide plane (christened Baka=stupid by the Americans who actually had little defense against it once it was launched) was a pretty effective weapon with a ton of explosives in the nose.

The Kaiten, an 18m long torpedo with a human pilot, had major teething problems but did work reasonably well if the mother sub managed to launch it. It's 40 knot speed and 1.5 ton warhead combined to make it a deadly weapon.

These should be introduced only if the war starts to go badly for the Japanese.
                Excerpts from the Manual of the Civilization Fanatic :

Money can buy happiness, just raise the luxury rate to 50%.
                Money is not the root of all evil, it is the root of great empires.

Comment

@Sarsstock: What I need is as follow:
                  -Japan
                  -USA
                  -Commonwealth
                  -China (Kuomintang)
                  -Thailand
                  -Dutch East Indies
                  -USSR
                  -Barbarians (a good flag to encompass Communist Chinese and the three above mentioned neutrals)

@AGRICOLA: Thanks for the unit note. I'll work to include them (I just need to think of a condition in the events.txt that will let the computer know the war's going bad for the Japanese and give them the advance that gives those units; either that, or say in the readme.txt 'research only if your losing').

Comment

Australia and New Zealand should be lumped in with the US and not British India. Historically, Australia and NZ co-operated extereamly closely with the US, and had very little to do with the British/Indian effort in the Pacific Theatre (for instance, the entire Australian Armed forces were put under the command of General McArthur from early 1945 until August 1945).
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I concur. ANZAC troops provideded the bulk of Macarthur's forces during the Battle of New Guinea. Furthermore, Australia itself was the main US base in the Pacific during the early years of the war.

I would recommend lumping Australia and New Zealand with the USA (although Aussie units can also be built by the Commonwealth player to reflect the Australian prescence in Slim's XIV Army.

Comment

I see your point, and I think I agree. I'll then have a British/India player in place of a Commonwealth player, and the US player will command ANZAC. Perfect! Thanks a lot guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Patine
                          I would like you to, if you could, adjust the shields of one or the other set so they have red rays coming out of the dot, like the Japanese war flag of the day (as opposed to their modern flag).
                          As far as I'm aware, the flag with the rays was the flag of the Japanese navy. So if you're gonna use it, you should only use it for the Japanese naval units (whatever those might be)... That's about the only thing I know about all of this though, so don't ask me any further.
                          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Thanks for your input, nonetheless, Mercator. I appreciate any help.

Comment

Well, if that's the case, cancel my request to have the Japanese infantry's shields changed, typhoon. They should do as they are. Thanks!

Now, does anyone know where to find good tanks, artillery, aircraft, and ships (and AGRICOLA's suggested units) in the same style?

Comment

Post a list of what you need and I´ll see what I can do for you

Comment

Working...
                                X