No announcement yet.

NEW Civ2 Tournament August 16 - September 14, 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, you can replay as often as you'd like, but only the first submission is valid for the purposes of scoring.

Hell, you can cheat and reload if you really want to, but I see why anyone would want to. This is an honourable contest, and if you are really so bad at Civ 2 that you have to cheat then why would you want to enter? Top of the rankings on merit is impressive, but any other way will mean you look a fool later when you are caught.

(No offense LL, this was more of a general message, and not directed at you)

Comment

I just looked more closely at the HOF results.

Why are all the types of victory measured by Score when score is itself a type of victory??

Should not the rankings for Conquest and Spaceship Landing be measured by earliest date??

Or am I misreading the results??

Monk
      so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Are we going to do more of these? I completely missed this one
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk

Should not the rankings for Conquest and Spaceship Landing be measured by earliest date??

Monk
          Yes, of course, they should.
          I don't think any good player cares for score nowadays, since anyone knows that high scores are just a bore, and the only real proof of skill is landing or conquering early.
          Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk
            I just looked more closely at the HOF results.

Why are all the types of victory measured by Score when score is itself a type of victory??

Or am I misreading the results??

Monk
            well, the system is completed automated in this regard. all possible type victories are shown along with their best scores and dates
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

new tournament coming up later today

Comment

posted in the news

August 14 has passed and the Civ2 August Tournament is now closed for "first time" entries, pending entries from people using our extended deadline option, (Klaatu, Old n Slow and debeest to be exact).

Final closing for the official results and the... awards ceremony date is September 21st. Second attempt games (please note so in the description of your game) can be entered after the 21st. The tournament entry of the Hall of Fame will remain open for anyone who havent goten into the game at all, to enter a "unofficial" entry.

Our September tournament is coming up...

Comment

I was hoping I had made the extended deadline... working on a One City variation...

Comment

To my surprise (and to the detriment of my marital relationship), I may be able to post tonight by the late deadline.

I just got fusion power, in 1774. I still need some turns to build my ship -- I've been so focused on science that I haven't organized well enough to have all the parts ready at the same time. I should launch maybe 5 turns from now and land around 1800.

Last time I built a ship was probably 3-4 years ago, and this one will land about 120 years sooner than any I've built before. I guess I have learned something, even playing conquest games.

Comment

Oh I've learned something as well -- trying to play "fast" comes at a cost -- by speeding through the turns in a hurry, one makes a portfolio of mistakes, including missing opportunities. Might get finished tonight.

Don't know how I'll end this, but it will be after 1900.
                      Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

Just finished an OCC in 1885. Trying to post my final save now. Hope this still counts.

Comment

WHEW! Well, I guess technically I posted late, and I"m not sure how many different ways I screwed up altogether... Lessee, the drive with all my email on it crashed yesterday, so I couldn't find my password, etc., and had to dick around with it instead of finishing my game (Old n Slow is exactly right about hurrying, btw). Then, never having experienced uploading, I'm pretty sure that I uploaded the autosave file (possibly the wrong one) instead of my actual save game. But hey! I'd actually forgotten how great a game Civ 2 is, especially compared to Civ 3 which I still can't get. (Of course, 'remembering' all the Civ 3 functions, etc., sure screwed up my brilliant strategy.)

Next time, I'll try to start earlier. Thanks to MarkG.

At least I've had practice driving a spaceship!

Regards,
                          Klaatu

Comment

Huzzah! I finished the game exactly on deadline, in real time (9/21/04, 22:00 hours) and in game time (landing in 1800, my personal goal, 155 years ahead of the best time I ever previously built a spaceship, which I last did in 1998).

There's so much to say about what I did right and what I did wrong, but it's late and I'm just happy to have made it. This really gives me a fuller appreciation of the work of the early landing masters. I salute you!
                            Last edited by debeest; September 22, 2004, 15:04.

Comment

Nope, didn't make it. I'm past 1910, the howies are out & I'm taking a city or two per turn...slowed by my normal fault of not having enough engineers to make the network of roads & RR.

Then family wants attention. so this will have to wait until... another time.

On to the next game.
                              Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

So, is there not to be an announcement of the winning games??

Monk
                                so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Working...
                                X