Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we should push ahead and draft an official letter to these powers that be anyway.

We also should tell them the code is wanted for personal uses, and not commercial.

Perhaps we could ask the CTP guys what they put in their letter?
    http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
    http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• *zap* (threadjack removed)

Curt: This is the thread that got the ball rolling: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=82253
      It seems that in the end, all the e-mails didn't do anything and it was due to several ex-Activisioners who visited Apolyton that it finally got off the ground.

Have a look around the CtP source code forum.

And I think we should get started.
      Last edited by Mercator; September 8, 2004, 11:06.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• Roger that, Merc!

http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
        http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Alright, let's get this ball rolling.

Comment

• Do you guys know about this guy who made his own version of Civ2 (to correct its flaws). Maybe we don't need the source code after all.

C-evo is a freeware empire building game for Windows
            This is a link to...The Civilization II Scenario League and this is a link to...My Food Blog

Comment

• I do, but his version doesn't seem that hot. Then again, I may be wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by kobayashi
                Do you guys know about this guy who made his own version of Civ2 (to correct its flaws). Maybe we don't need the source code after all.

http://c-evo.org/
                Yes, CEvo is ok but it's in Delphi and i don't know (or want to know) Delphi...
                "If it works, it's obsolete."
                -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• And we don't want to make something that looks like Civ2, we want to improve Civ2 itself.

If we wanted to make something that looks like Civ2, we'd join the FreeCiv (or CEvo, if you must ) team.
                  Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• Sign me up! NULLpaulNULL@cullivan.comNULL
                    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercator
                      And we don't want to make something that looks like Civ2, we want to improve Civ2 itself.

If we wanted to make something that looks like Civ2, we'd join the FreeCiv (or CEvo, if you must ) team.
                      That would be 'C-evo' to be exact.

In relation to getting a lead. Try to get in touch with one of the team members (John?) of Test of Time. They had access to the original code when writing ToT. He dropped by from time to time on the ToT forum. It's been awhile however.
                      Last edited by CapTVK; September 13, 2004, 16:41.
                      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

• Originally posted by CapTVK
                        That would be 'C-evo' to be exact.
                        Ok, but it still continue to be in Delphi...
                        "If it works, it's obsolete."
                        -- Marshall McLuhan

Comment

• Originally posted by CapTVK
                          In relation to getting a lead. Try to get in touch with one of the team members (John?) of Test of Time. They had access to the original code when writing ToT. He dropped by from time to time on the ToT forum. It's been awhile however.
                          That would be John Possidente, but I doubt any Civ2 "official" still visits here. But if you happen to have any e-mail addresses...

... And I'd more interested in the ToT code than the original code

He might have registered with a valid e-mail address though.
                          Last edited by Mercator; September 21, 2004, 05:52.

Comment

• I'm new to programming (about two weeks), and probably wrong, but why couldn't we make our own civ 2 source, then use that source to improve.
                            Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

Comment

• Originally posted by GoPostal
                              I'm new to programming (about two weeks), and probably wrong, but why couldn't we make our own civ 2 source, then use that source to improve.
                              Because we want full compatibility with Civ2. We want Civ2 with all the glitches ironed out, and our own improvements added.

Without the original source code we won't ever be able to find out all the details of how the Civ2 engine works, so we could only make something that kinda resembles Civ2, which is exactly what FreeCiv and C-Evo have been doing. If that's what you want, that's fine too, but that's not what we're after.

Creating something from scratch takes way longer than editing existing code too, and even that's already a tedious process.
                              Last edited by Mercator; September 21, 2004, 05:58.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoPostal
                                I'm new to programming (about two weeks), and probably wrong, but why couldn't we make our own civ 2 source, then use that source to improve.
                                This idea has been suggested before. A heartfelt piece of advice is in place. DO NOT TRY TO REINVENT THE WHEEL!

Does Stella Polaris say anything?

If you plan to rebuild Civ2 from scratch don't. If you really want to help take a good look at Freeciv and browse the source. It's the only tried&tested project that is truly free. C-evo isn't because you can only edit the AI, not the source. CtP2 comes with so many legal strings attached you can make a nice bag for yourself. But if you have the original, go ahead. As for CoC...well... it has survived the initial stage but it isn't Civ2 in the sense we know .
                                Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                                X