Rest in Peace, SG(2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of his deeds

I would like to say a few words about what Ivor brought us, because he was not only a witty writer and a very strong strategist, but also one of those who gave most to the community, much more than the smiling daily 'robust constructive criticism' that all of us will remember:
    (IIRC)
    -Co-author of the most thorough study about starting techs (more than 5000 starts)
    -Co-creator of Apolyton's Great Library
    -'Very early lander', especially on big maps (samson and solo had almost specialized into small maps, when Ivor advised solo to have a look at some of his saves on bigger maps, and that was the starting point of solo's strategy guide)
    - 'Admiral Puke', some sort of Lord Nelson, 2 centuries later (I refer especially to the 'Rome PBEM' played by Dave V, SG[1], SG(2) and myself, that Ivor won so brilliantly)
    Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

R.I.P.

My condolances to those he left behind.

I'm sure he'll have a respawn sometime, somewhere, but that's hardly comforting on days like this.
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Alas the thread title meant what I feared...

Though I never had the pleasure to play a succession game with SG(2), I read most of them and learnt a lot, while having many a good laugh thanks to the "robust constructive criticism".

We'll miss you Ivor

My thoughts are with you, SG[1] and SG{3}
        Ankh-Morpork, we have an orangutan...
        Discworld Scenario: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...8&pagenumber=1
        POMARJ Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...8&pagenumber=1
        LOST LEGIONS Scenario:http://www.apolyton.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169464

Comment

Cyrion said exactly what I thought - the thread title is alas true. I had hoped that it was a nonsense tale about his being defeated at Prince level but how likely was that?
          A deity-level player, and to judge from the small insight given into his personality by the posts he made here, a deity-level person too. This is a sad loss for the entire on-line Civ community and more particularly for Liverpool's Git community.
          I feel sure that SG(2) will respawn in a prime 4-special river location, a far better place than here.
          RIP

Comment

Death, be not proud…

Let us break out the armbands to mourn his passing,
            and let us break out best red our pockets can afford to remember him by.
            Attached Files
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Very sad news indeed. I will miss him.

My deepest sympathies to the SG´s and those closest to him.

Zenon

Comment

Sincere sympathies to Ivor's friends and family. His wit and wisdom added a lot to my enjoyment of this site and the game. He was one of my favorite friends from this site.

Thanks for sharing this tragic news, Stu. The site's loss of a "virtual" friend is a lesser one than your loss. But for me, personally, it's better to know Ivor's fate than to have him disappear mysteriously.

Comment

I've only known SG(2) for a short time, but I came to admire the assistance and kindness he offered to newbies. Rather than alienation, his 'robust constructive criticism' served as a bond between teacher and student of the great game we all play.

I'd only known him through the succession games, but I pass my condolences onto his family.

Godspeed, Ivor.
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                  2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Rest in Peace Ivor
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

My friends, my thanks for your kind words - they have touched us.

Ivor will be buried at noon on Monday 15th at St Luke's, Formby.

Stu
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

You're all in my thoughts ... as one of my quotes, one I believe in fervently, says, "Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart," by Confucius. SG(2)'s heart goes on, and always will.

**bows head, closes eyes**

Gatekeeper
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I know I didn't post around here, but I don't know that I've ever encountered a forum member passing away before.
                          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I saw the bad news in Obiwan's sig.

SG(2) was a fine civvist. He will be missed around here.

Comment

How awful. I read and enjoyed his posts over the years, but I can only imagine the pain you're going through now. You are in my prayers.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

My condolences, this is sad news indeed.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                                I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                                X