Teach me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vondrack
    Have you tried the trick I described earlier for Beta? If the progress meter runs three times full length and the text doesn't change to "Connecting to the host", click "Go Back" (lower left) and retry immediately. It helps me log in faster than if always waiting for the time out - I am seldom able to log in without retrying at least once.
    Yep - works well. I am generally able to get in on the first, second or third try.

Yesterday, Gyannther (sp) was logged in, I connected to the host on the first try, and then it tried connecting to peer Gyannther. That timed out, so I backed out, and by that time he had left the game, no one else was in, and I could connect and play.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta

Yep - works well. I am generally able to get in on the first, second or third try.

Yesterday, Gyannther (sp) was logged in, I connected to the host on the first try, and then it tried connecting to peer Gyannther. That timed out, so I backed out, and by that time he had left the game, no one else was in, and I could connect and play.
      I am guessing that you tried to log in at same time as I logged out and that caused problems.. because I saw no messages about you trying to join

Comment

• Yup, that must have been what happened. Coincidental timing.

Sorry about mispelling your nick, Gyathaar.
        Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by vondrack
          Have you tried the trick I described earlier for Beta? If the progress meter runs three times full length and the text doesn't change to "Connecting to the host", click "Go Back" (lower left) and retry immediately. It helps me log in faster than if always waiting for the time out - I am seldom able to log in without retrying at least once.
          You, sir, are a wonderful person.
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

• Anyone else missing the game? It was there in the morning... but it's not listed in the lobby anymore.

Comment

• Yeah, me too...
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Missing for me too. Guess Alex wants to make sure he wins.

Comment

• Sorry about that. Maybe someone messed with the server. Luckily I'm back at the office tomorrow to fix it.

Comment

• So just out of curiosity - in a situation like this, does the game pause until back on the server, or do we all 'miss' a turn, so to speak?

And secondly, how and why does a game get "dropped" from the server, or at least the play list?

Comment

• If the PTBS server itself shuts down (crash/system shut down/etc.), then we revert to the last autosave. Presumably you do so every turn alex?

If Gamespy somehow 'lost' it, or something, then it's possible it could pass turns without us, but I presume that a) you all have at least one turn in advance prequeued in and b) the autosave is still available for use
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• When I hear of a server, any server, going down like that, I somehow always imagine an elderly charwoman (cleaner for Yanks ) who unplugs the server's power supply so she can plug the vacuum cleaner in .
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369
                          but I presume that a) you all have at least one turn in advance prequeued in
                          Yes, my chariots must be in your capitol by now.

Comment

• OK, the game is up again. Andydog, Sir Ralph, Tassadar, you need to play your turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexman
                              Game launching now on Gamespy!
                              Game name: Teach Alexman
                              Password: password

Player 1: Snoopy369 - Mansa Musa - Mali
                              Player 2: Andydog - Augustus - Rome
                              Player 3: Alexman - Shaka Zulu - Zulus
                              Player 4: Sir Ralph - Hannibal - Carthage
                              Player 5: Tassadar - Victoria - England
                              Player 6: Gyathaar - Random - Random (Kublai)
                              Player 7: Solver - Random - Random (Tokugawa)
                              Player 8: Kirkenix - Ragnar - Vikings
                              Player 9: Blake - Random - Random (Brennus)
                              Player 10: vondrack - Random- Random (Hatshepsut)
                              Player 11: Beta - Random- Random (Peter)

Come claim your spot by setting a password, etc

Don't forget to set your e-mail address in-game so you get notifications.
                              Alex, snoop, or von, or Solver - can one of you folks explain how you set this up. I was in trying to do this today - hit new game - set the password - you go to the staging room - and all it will allow me to do is set the leader/civ for team one. How do you set it up for the others?

And how do you set the turn timer - er - scratch that - just figured that out.

Comment

• And a related question - and probably very noobish given my limited tech knowledge:

Could Apolyton not host pitboss games, or would they need a new capability above and beyond that needed to run the site? I suspect that is the case.

Comment

Working...
                                X