No announcement yet.

"Diplomacy I" Planning Thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diplogames are a good solution to heartbreak....
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Since we aren't going to start the game until HOTW XII is over (or at least close enough for the majority of civs not to care anymore ) we will have plenty of time to discuss maps. I like to keep updated lists so here is the updated roster/list:

-The Capo
      -Vamp
      -Pinchak
      -Deity (wants to play on Earth map)
      -Toni
      -Danny P.O.
      -MMC
      -LzPrst

I think if we don't get anymore players this is enough. Although I will leave 2 to 3 spots open just in case. So there are only 2 or 3 more spots available. I agree with standard speed for the game, there's no need for an epic diplogame especially with tech vouchers and pitboss format. I suggest that vouchers get bumped up to twenty though since we have half the players. We will spare the anonymous this time so its easier to get into contact with one another, and I am making it a REQUIREMENT that some form of IM service be utilized and made available by all players. You don't HAVE TO get one in partciular, but you should at least be available on one. I find diplomacy "in person" makes the game that much better.

In case you haven't done so already, you are going to have to download the modpack
      RIGHT HERE and put it into your beyond the sword/mods folder. If you need further instructions please PM me.

There are/will be 14 extra civs you can use, if you REALLY want to, beyond the civs available in the mod (which also has Israel and the Iroquois). Those are the following civs:

MODULE PACK 1
      - Hungary
      - Teutonic Order
      - Nubia
      - Phoenicia

The Americas Module Pack (coming soon)
      - Argentina
      - Brazil
      - Canada
      - Cuba
      - Gran Colombia
      - Mexico

Module Pack 2 (coming soon)
      - Republic of Iran
      - Minoans
      - Songhai Empire
      - Vietnamese Empire

If you are wondering why there aren't more European modules, that is because I am going to make the Europe module pack (which will have like 15 civs in it) after these, but that isn't going to be done for a long time.

I'd almost rather nobody used modules, but honestly it won't effect the game at all, at least not in any negative way. So if one of these civs piques your interests, you can use it. While we're on hiatus from BtP we can discuss issues related to this game, particularly the dreaded "double-turn" issue.
      "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

Without sounding too big headed I think Toni and myself should be handicapped in some way...
        "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
        *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Also, I'm fine with starting it asap.

HOTW12 can keep going regardless.
          *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

-The Capo
            -Vamp
            -Pinchak
            -Toni
            -Danny P.O.
            -MMC
            -LzPrst
            -Cybershy!!!!
            *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by deity
              Without sounding too big headed I think Toni and myself should be handicapped in some way...
              Agreed!

No Fin or Ind civs!

Maybe... give you two less tech vouchers than everyone else. Personally I think 20 is way too many. I think maybe like 12 for everyone, and like 7 for you two.

(remember HOTWXII had around this many players and we had 10 vouchers)

Also, while I'm not playing, I offer to make the map and be a reliable sub (something needed for a good game). So for what its worth, my vote is also for a world map.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

We can discuss handicaps after we officialize the roster. Cybershy said he doesn't know if he can play, so we can wait for his reply. I'd also like Heraclitus to play too, and the new Roman player (I forget his name), we need more new blood in here.

I don't know if we are going to use a pre-made map, if we are doing an Earth game, of course we'd have to use a premade map, and in that case I suppose Ozzy can make it. But we haven't decided the size and time yet and I think there was talk of using a map script. At least this was between some of us. So there is still plenty of time to get that handled. The most important thing right now though is to download the mod and play it a few times to get a handle of some of the new leaders. We've got plenty of time for the rest of it, but I'd suggest you start testing out some fo the new leaders.

Another thing, MMC, Vamp, Pinchak, and I (even a game with deity dude) have been quasi-reqgularly playing MP games with this mod. So if you wanted to try your hand with a few of the new leaders in an MP format if you contact one of us we will start up a game, that way you can get more experience with some of the new leaders' trait combos/UUs and UBs. But we'll see if we can get any more players and then we'll start the planning phase. I also wanted to get 2 to 3 people signed up to sub. So if Cyber, Ozzy, and maybe Heraclitus can't play could you offer to be "permenant subs" in case we need you at a moment's notice?
                "Our cause is in the hands of fate. We can not guarantee success. But we can do something better; we can deserve it." -John Adams

One Love.

Comment

Well, while we wait to get this game planned out (which I hope to start doing shortly) I made something for you guys to use in the Diplomacy mod. It's the Americas Module Pack. It includes Mexico, Canada, Gran Colombia, Cuba, Brazil and Argentina. They all have flavored units. You can download these modules, RIGHT HERE!

The next one should be out soon and I added two new civs to it. It will include Vietnam, Iran, Minoa, Songhai, Congo and Australia (for all of you Aussie blokes out there). Actually I am kind of hoping one of the Aussies takes up the reigns of the Australians... maybe deity... a throwback to HOTW2?

One Love.

Comment

I'll tell you if I'm in about the moment you guys want me to tell at last. (if possible, shortly before the game begins)
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Aw damn. Room for one more.
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                        Aw damn. Room for one more.
                        I think we MIGHT be able to squeeze you in Beta.

One Love.

Comment

Alright, well the updated list looks like this:

-The Capo
                          -Vamp
                          -Pinchak
                          -Toni
                          -Danny P.O.
                          -MMC
                          -LzPrst
                          -Beta
                          -Cybershy?

I kind of wanted to cut it off at ten, but I actually invited Ras to play too. So if he wants in we'll let him in. As far as deity goes (with Industrious and Financial civs) I think if he picks Australia he can have one of those traits. Mainly because one of the leaders is Industrious/Protective (Curtin) and the other is Financial/Charismatic (Menzies). Although it hasn't been released yet, so maybe if someone knows a bit more than I do (and by that I mean Wikipedia) we can change those traits.

But we'll let him have one of those traits ONLY if he picks Australia. How about that?

EDIT: As far as NEW civs go, the mod already has the Iroquois and Israel as playable civs. But from my module packs the following civs will also be available to play as;

-Teutonic Order
                          -Phoenicians
                          -Nubians
                          -Hungarians
                          -Canada
                          -Brazil
                          -Cuba
                          -Mexico
                          -Gran Colombia (Basically Venezuela, Colombia, Panama, Ecuador and Peru combined)
                          -Argentina
                          -Vietnam
                          -Songhai
                          -Congo
                          -Iran
                          -Minoans
                          -Australia

Those are not selectable in the normal game, they are modules that have to be put in (no difficulty there though, you just pop a folder into the Modules folder and voila, they're in) so if you have any interest in these civs you should let everyone know now.

One Love.

Comment

Nah, I won't let you guys wait for my answer. Let me say: "Yes please, can I be in it?"
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Re: "Diplomacy I" Planning Thread...

TC - a couple of questions...

Originally posted by The Capo
                              as well as seven new religions so you have a broader base to work with culturally (for storyline purposes, there will still only be seven religions in the game and they work just like the vanilla religions.)
                              Does this mean there are 7 or 14 religions in the game? Your explanation sounds contradictory, but maybe I am just reading it wrong.

Also - where does one track down the traits and UU's for civs like the Phoenicians or Congolese or Nubians? Or are these just renamed regular BTS civs (Carthage, Mali, Egyptians)?

And game speed? Or with this being a diplo game, is that a silly question?
                              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

First make sure you have DOWNLOADED THE MOD and installed it properly. The suggested settings are med to high graphics settings. To counteract the memory used I used no combat zoom, quick attack mode, no movies. But you can play with whatever settings depending on your computer (my computer just sucks).

As far as the religions go; you are right that wasn't very clear. There are 14 religions to CHOOSE FROM in the game. If you play a custom game with 'choose religion' selected you have a choice of 14 religions. Only seven will be founded during a given game. If you play without choose religion you will never see the extra seven religions. So there are 14 religions to choose from, but only seven will be founded.

In the updated version of the game (which will have next war) I am going to add a couple more and chance some of the names on these, but we will not use that mod for this game because I haven't even started it yet and probably won't start for a few months or longer. But in the meantime these are the religions available:

- Voodoo; called Vodoun or Vodun in Africa, is a west/central african religion, which is a mixture of numerous african religions and beliefs as well as some christian and muslim concepts. The religion spread to the caribbean through the slave trade and is popular in certain island countries there. When it is mixed with Catholicism it is known as "Santeria."

-Aesir Mythology; the collective of Norse gods is known as Aesir. This is a norse or viking religion. It is pagan, and polytheistic.

-Pesedjet; this is the religion of ancient Egypt.

-Olympic Pantheon; this is the religion of the ancient Greek world. This was also worshipped by the Romans, and at one time was the prevailing belief system throughout the mediterranean, although it was often mixed with local belief systems.

-Toltec Faith; this is a really bad name for what should be called Nahualism (I just didn't know how to change it when I put the mod out). It is a MesoAmerican religion founded in the southern Gulf of mexico near the Yucatan basin. It was originated by the Toltecs (although they may simply be a mythological culture) and spread to the Olmecs, Maya, Aztecs and as far south as to the Inca who adopted many of its gods, including the serpent-God Nahual (who eventually became known as Quetzecoatl).

-Zoroastrianism; is an ancient Persian, monotheistic, religion based on the teachings of Zoroaster. It is also known as Mazdaism as it is centered around Ahura Mazda, the supreme deity. It was extremely popular in the anceint near east up until the muslim conquest.

-Shinto; shinto is the native religion of Japan, it is polytheistic and animistic. It worships spirits called Kami, who are considered gods of specific items and actions. Ancestor worship is also important in shinto.

So those are the new religions. As far as getting the new civs goes you are going to have to download the mod and install it properly. Make sure you have BtS 3.17 in, I know that's a no-brainer but you'll be surprised how many "your mod doesn't work!" comments I got in my discussion thread, only to find out the idiots didn't have 3.17 installed. Then you can download MODULE PACK 1 (Nubia, Teutonic Order, Phoenicia, Hungary) and THE AMERICAS (Mexico, Cuba, Argentina, Canada, Brazil, Gran Colombia). Once you have downloaded those files nad have decompressed them. If you don't have a decompression program I think you can visit THIS SITE to get one. If it isn't there just search for WinRAR its pretty easy to get and to use.

Once you have put the mod in the proper place. You will need to decompress the module packs. It is important to note that you DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE FOLDER INTO THE MOD. The Module packs are made to be customizable to the players' preference. So basically you can have every civilization in your game, or you can have only one. So decompress the module packs and place them in their own folder for safe keeping. When you want to try a particular civ copy ITS FOLDER and then paste it INTO THE MODULES FOLDER (in the mod). So here are two examples...

DO NOT DO THIS>>> .....beyondthesword/mods/diplomacy/assets/modules/modulepack1/Nubia/

DO THIS>>>.....beyondthesword/mods/diplomacy/assets/modules/Nubia

The modules WILL NOT work with the vanilla version of the game and will most likely not work with any other mod. And by "not work with" I mean CRASH.

The other module pack will be out shortly and will include Congo, Vietnam, Songhai, Iran, Australia and the Minoans. If you have any questions about the mod itself please visit THE DISCUSSION THREAD at CivFanatics. You can keep updated on what is going on, plus there are preview screen shots of the new modules.
                                Last edited by The Capo; December 27, 2008, 14:29.

One Love.

Comment

Working...
                                X