No announcement yet.

Analysis of Popular Diplogame Civs/Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dunno, I've seen it happen before. We just have to have dedicated and patient players.

Comment

Ok, I updated the list with the Dance of Civilization civs/leaders:
      Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
      On a different note, here are the civs/leaders: (alphabetical order)
      Code:
      Arabs		Saladin 
      Byzantine	Justinian I 
      Dutch 		Willem van Oranje 
      Egypt 		Ramesses II 
      England 	Elizabeth 
      Greece 		Pericles 
      Inca 		Huayna Capac 
      India 		Mahatma Ghandi 
      Korea 		Wang Kon 
      Mali 		Mansa Musa 
      Native America 	Sitting Bull 
      Ottoman 	Mehmed II 
      Persia 		Darius I 
      Rome 		Augustus 
      Russia 		Catherine
      The only original pick in the whole bunch is Darius.

Augustus, Mehmed, Justinian, and Pericles are chosen for only the second time.

Saladin, Willem van Oranje, Catherine and Sitting Bull are selected for the third time.

Gandhi, Mansa Musa, Ramses and Wang Kong picked for the fourth time.

Elizabeth is picked for the 7th time.

And of course....Huayna Capac is picked for the 8th time.

Also, surprise, surprise financial is overly represented again this game:

FIN 6
      SPI 5
      PHI 4
      PRO 3
      CRE 3
      IMP 3
      IND 3
      ORG 2
      EXP 1
      CHA 0
      AGG 0
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Who was the Natives, Inca, Celts, and all the various Japanese players?

Also, who took over for the Vikings? Trev?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I took over Japan after another player had it then maddox or whatever his name is took over for me.

Comment

This thread is very confusing. Is cappo doing another mod?

Comment

NOTE that Ozzy bumped this thread from Aug 25 2008.
              "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
              *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                Who was the Natives, Inca, Celts, and all the various Japanese players?

Also, who took over for the Vikings? Trev?
                Marcus (Aussie_lurker) was Vikings.

Inca was Whiplash or something...

Maybe Cyber could post a list of the real players in BTP if he has some idle time

I'd love to know who the Celts were... never worked that out.
                "Old age and skill will overcome youth and treachery. "
                *deity of THE DEITIANS*

Comment

I'll post a list later, it's somewhere near the end of the last org thread of BtP as well.
                  Perhaps Inca are picked for the 8th time, but this time a new player may picked him for the first time. Not to mention that I don't remember the Inca ever winning a game.
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Sub's should be excluded from your list Ozzy. I inherited Russia in BtP and would no more pick them than America as they are an utter waste of space. UU and UB have no worth when the game starts and that's what counts in Civ Choice. Leader Choice is different and Vicky is a damn good leader for England. Byzantines are a goodie as well and I love SPI leaders. You cannot just ban any popular Civ or make an arbitrary choice as to who is too good to get them!

Inca are the acknowledged best but they are not that easy for a beginner to play. In SP they are a dream but this is not SP. I don't understand why Zulu were so unpopular as they are brilliant for early game expansion. Egypt is a peach as well under good old Ram and Khmer are no slouches! I can understand why, on the map design, Portugal has been banned as Carracks would have unbalanced the game totally but that is only down to UU not any other advantage.

You might as well ban Wonders next!

PS. Can people please stop posting as PitBoss ******.
                    “Quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur”
                    - Anon

Comment

If the exact same civs and leaders are being picked every game that is not only dull but it suggests an imbalance in the game. Certain leaders are picked more often because, rightly or wrongly, they are perceived to offer a competitive advantage. A competitive advantage that is spread unevenly will unbalance a game.

In some MP communities for example they outright ban the Inca for this reason. Because in their games, like ours, the Inca are always chosen. In their quest for balance and fairness in the game they sought to limit this competitive advantage.

Just something for us to consider as well. This thread is a way of tracking that.

Comment

It's good to track it, Ozzy. But so far no game has been won by the same leader all the time, so I see no reason to ban any civ yet. Maybe the new 'fair play' category can give some boost to rare leaders.

@St Jon: I'm going to disable the pitboss accounts when I'm home somewhere during this weekend. (it's going to be a busy weekend)
                        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                        X