Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The HOTW VII - Setup Thread II (or the entrance of new mods)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine, then I got France, Treize.

It's gonna be a long 100 years .

And I think the decision to start in 3 days is final. If we switch now there will only be more confusion, and everything is set and prepared for Friday. Not a good idea to do something drastic and change the starting day.

Comment

Yea, too late to change things like the start time. We are going ahead for Friday.

If you want to switch your civ to another unclaimed one you can do that at any time. But please no tinkering with traits and such.

And if people are serious about the Euro game, please start up a new thread for it.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Yes i agree with the rest we start on the 1st, no more delays

Comment

Shall we wait with the planning of the eurogame till we're done with this one

Colonel: if the hurricane hits you hard and you may not be able to play we will surely reconcider if we play or not next friday.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

cyber, you mean *THIS* friday (2 days from now), right?

I'm in cheap joke mood... uh oh. one coming at treize! watch out!

Reporter: Sir, your house has been washed away by the hurricane, how do you feel?
            Hillbilly: Weyll, it watnt as bad as last time.
            Reporter: Last time? This has happened to you before?
            Hillbilly: Yup, this is the fifth time ma house git's washed inna da ocean.
            Reporter: So what are you going to do?
            Hillbilly: We're ganna rebuild... (doh!)

and now a short jab at Toni (no offense meant, just kidding around),
            How many many similarities does Mali have with Bulgaria?
            (i know, i know, it's the traits you're referring to, but...are bulgarians known for their skill with money and their religiosity...? seriously, I know nothing about Bulgaria except where it is. )

and now to something completely different.
            and almost serious.

Here's a few tips and hints to our dear newcomers about being "bored" in a diplogame. What I mean is this, there will likely come times when some players are holding up the game because they need more time, usually during war or diplomatic negotiations. But despair not, there are many things you can do that you wouldnt normally do in most SP games, and hardly ever in other MP games.

1. Talk to your scribes. (advisor screens) You can get a lot of interesting information from the F1 - F9 screens that can be used as a basis for stories and roleplaying posts. Statistics, power graphs, what resources you could trade to who, and much more. It can be well worth looking at.

2. Talk to your neighbours. If someone is diploing with someone else, you should be paranoid enough to assume their plotting against you! The solution is to plot something evil yourself

3. Name all your units. It is quite nice to have a close and intimate relationships with your men. (not quite as close as Alexander though, some people might get the wrong idea).

4. Set up build queues. (I hate to do that myself, but it can be quite useful and save a lot of time later).

5. Practice Kung Fu if you have enough space in your room. Or better yet, pick up all the dirty socks from your floor (if you average about 0.3 pieces of clothing per turn you'll be able to see your floor at the end of the session )

6. Go get another beer/soda/water/snack/burned pizza/bowl of nudles/piece of fruit/bag of chips/crisps/bar of chocolate/chow of preference.

7. Study the tech tree, having an idea of where you want to go and why, and a backup plan if it "fails", can be very practical. It is also nice to know if those crazy mongols are close to getting their Keshiks soon, and stuff like that.

8. Spy around. Look at others cities (and their defences) where you have your scouts\spies\explorers\missionaries whatever you have available.

9. Zoom out and nametag a few geographic locations of interest. In HOTW5 my early exploration names were used through much of the game in my region (wiltwald I think the big jungle was called by most players, named by Löwenmeister the Scout). Unfortunately other players cant see them ingame, but you can post screenshots in the thread claiming exploration and naming. Wont give you any score, but it's a little fun and enhances the spirit of the game if you actually have names for mountain chains, great plains, rivers and the like. Put on the resource indicator as well and make devious plans.

10. Last but not least, go to the bathroom (but be quick).

There. That's a few hints for those of you who might get a little itchy during the long hauls. I am quite patient myself, but from time to time I just get fed up with waiting for the damned * to pop up on all names.

I am looking forward to this a LOT.
            Has anyone except Capo and Omni declared their inability to play?
            Last edited by LzPrst; August 30, 2006, 04:06.
            Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Damn you with your friday night sessions! I spend my fridays chasing a different kind of conquest victory...

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst
                cyber, you mean *THIS* friday (2 days from now), right?

yup, 2 more days.
                I'm going to open the story thread today so we can start posting our pre-game posts

Comment

Originally posted by Thrak
                  Damn you with your friday night sessions! I spend my fridays chasing a different kind of conquest victory...
                  I've pulled in that type of conquest victory already years ago. She's now sleeping being all pregnant somewhere upstairs when I'm playing civ

Comment

Originally posted by Thrak
                    Well you've got my envy, not the other way around.

Stick around and read our threads though.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think everybody can play!

11. Read a book!

12. Study a foreign language

13. Surf the web (don't alt-tab! Use a different pc for this )

14. brush your teeth (saves time after the game is done and you have to go to sleep really fast because it's 4am already and you have to go to the university next day)

15. take screenshots

16. take more screenshots

17. make queues of everything, build queues, tech-research-queues, worker-action queues. Just only so you can change it all over next turn

18. write nice stories for the story threads

19. read The Capo's looong posts that you never can't during the week because you would be too bored (:P @ The Capo)

20. calculate if you should build the force first and then the wonder and if that means that your wonder is finished earlier or that you'd better start building the wonder right away

21. check your story thread posts for spelling or grammar errors

22. read another book

23. read the Bible (as wannabe preacher I should've putted this on #1 )

24. read the paper

25. sleep (and put the speakers that loud that any noise would wake you up at the beginning of the next turn)

Comment

And I almost forgot about 26!

26. yell at those who are STILL NOT ENDING THEIR TURNS

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          I've fleshed out the TORaCTT rule a little bit more in the first post to be sure that we wno't get fights over it. I think we must be very clear about it.

Tech-trade: TORaCTT
                          trade only (self)researched or conquered techs twice
                          - Conquered techs are techs that you got in exchange for peace with another civ that lost at least one city to you. (ie. Russia loses the city of Novograd to England, England offers Russia peace if Russia gives gunpowder to England. England can trade gunpowder twice now)
                          - For trading techs for peace the TORaCTT rule counts as well! Only techs someone researched himself or gained through conquest that weren't traded twice already can be traded for peace.
                          Question - does anything change with conquered tech? Or does it fit within the same trade restrictions as regular tech trades?

Like if Russia trades gunpowder to its allies, and then England demands gunpowder to go to peace, can Russia give it up?

Comment

Hmmm, I tried to explain that but apparantly I failed
                            For conquered techs the same counts as for researched techs.

Thus:
                            - If Russia already traded tech X twice he can't give it for peace anymore
                            - If Russia gave tech x for peace he can only trade it once more
                            - Russia can only give tech x for peace if he either researched it completely himself or he got it for peace from someone else AND if he didn't give/trade it twice already

Did I forget any situation?

Comment

The story thread is open for the first submissions

Comment

woohoo. and yes. as cyber said. very important to do, SCREENSHOTS!!!
                                Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Working...
                                X