Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: 3.17 changelist

Originally posted by dashiva217

Can anyone tell me what these map scripts do, or where I can find that information?
    Full descriptions are available in the Customizations/Map Scripts subforum on CFC. However, in a nutshell:

Earth2 is a modification of the "Terra" map, but instead it generates a map that is similar to the shape of the continents on Earth. All civs start in the "old world", and there are no 'culturally linked' starting places to geography (so you can have the Zulus starting in Europe, for example, or the Incans starting in Southeast Asia.) (I've uploaded my own mod of this mod -- "Earth3" -- on CFC that removes all limits on starting points, so civs can start in the New or Old world.)

Tectonics tries to create continents based on simulated tectonic activity. It's a very complex script that produces some interesting maps. The author, LDiCesare, has been working on it and updating it for the past three years, and it now has a lot of options. There was a long spell when I, personally, was playing nothing but this map. (The author is more active on 'Poly than CFC, I believe.)

RandomScriptMap is basically an improvement on the "shuffle" script, except more map scripts are added to the random mix.
    "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Thanks for the information, jkp1187!

Sounds like some fun new options, then! And I think I'll check out your Earth3 too.

Comment

I Just came across this post over at CivFanatics by someone calling him/herself lilnev regarding the all forest starts:

Could you fix the "forest-spam" bug that's been around forever, please? I pointed it out to Bhruic some time ago, and he said he was already aware of it, and I also submitted it to Firaxis, but it's still not fixed....

In the normalizeAddExtras function in CvGame.cpp, there's an "if" clause that's been commented out, causing many start locations to be forested on every single non-resource tile in the fat cross that can support a forest. In vanilla and Warlords, this clause was in effect, such that start locations would receive a modest, random number of added forests; plus the variable iCount is not used anywhere else; to me, it's clear that commenting out this line in BtS was inadvertent.

Compute a threshold for starting location quality at 80% of the best starting location.
        For each civ, if it is below that threshold
        __iCount = 0
        __For each plot in the fat cross
        ____//If SorenRandNum test based on iCount
        ____If plot does not have a bonus resource, and isn't the center plot
        ______Add a forest if possible
        ______iCount++
        ____}
        __}

There's a second bug just below it, too:

__iWaterCount = 0
        __for each plot in the fat cross
        ____iWaterCount++
        ____if isWater()
        ______check for water resources
        ____else
        ______check for land resources
        ____}
        __bLandBias = (iWaterCount > MAX_NUM_TILES/2)
        __Add resources to tiles that can support them, until value > the 80% threshold established earlier, or until (2*waterResources + 3*landResources) >= 12
        }

iWaterCount++ clearly belongs inside the isWater() test. As written, iWaterCount will always add up to MAX_NUM_TILES - 1, and bLandBias will always be true. bLandBias exists to encourage addition of land resources to water-heavy capitals.
        Last edited by Willem; June 22, 2008, 12:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          Originally posted by snoopy369
          That must be an OS setting ... is it Vista?? Mine installed just fine

Civ4 is the only game I've had this happen to. Plenty of other games have autoupdaters and none of them just fail like this.

You do know where to find the downloaded patch EXE, once that happened, right?

Of course. I wasn't going to go through that again.

Plus, inexplicably, I got better download from 'Poly than Firaxis
          I also got mine here.
          And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

You probably got a better download speed because we have more bandwidth than firaxis/2kgames server I suspect...
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I got a better download here, as well.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Thanks for the patch, Firaxis guys!!!

Comment

I am downloading it from here as my ingame patcher seems buggerup.............
                  I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

I do not see the patch on the Firaxis site. The most recent one listed here is 3.13:

Am I looking in the wrong place?

Comment

I could not see it last night either, and the ingame patcher did not work either. But a friend of mine in NZ had successfully patched via it a few hours earlier - so I just figured it was a PNG bandwidth issue.

No idea why it is not on their site however...
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

"Anti-Tank get 20% air interception chance"

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus66
                          "Anti-Tank get 20% air interception chance"

Why?
                          Because they should get only a 10% chance, just as infantry and even machine guns should (but only in their own tile, not in adjacent ones).

That's how I have it with my game. You should be able to prioritize intercept promotions if there is a large air threat.

The only way you can avoid an air strike hitting you is to intercept; even a simple strike aborted can be significant. I do not care for that certainty of substantial damage just by targeting a unit with aircraft.

Sorry Brutus, for this being a semi-smart alecky / non-response, but I had to say it.

Comment

guess im hosed for the patch. i play civ on my comp & my laptop. in swapping bk & forth i lost one of my civ4 disks. wasnt a big issue at the time because of warlords then sword. + i wasnt using my lappy as much.
                            when i started using my lapp again, i loaded a nocd patch onto both comps to prevent further disc loss. & was just tired of dealing with getting the disk out & putting it away. also figured there proly wouldnt be another patch before another exp came out so thought i was covered...
                            now i cant install the patch unless i install original civ4.. & im missing the install disk. have the play disk, but that does me no good.
                            oh well sol for me until next exp i guess.
                            Last edited by mike2h; July 12, 2008, 21:39.

Comment

i found my bkp .exe & & del the nocd vers & replaced with the bkp. still same prob, tells me i need an 'older vers'. what is retarded is that it wont let me just reonstall swords, it wants civ4 reinstalled, wich i can no longer install.
                              & there is nothing wrong with my installs as they play fine.

Comment

any sugestions/advice.. besides spending another $30 for new game

Comment

Working...
                                X