No announcement yet.

3.17 changelist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just so we can have an idea of how many starts are forested, I took a screenshot of 50 starts generated with RandomScriptMap (all settings default, with Advanced Start on to ensure you can the entire fat cross.) I did not use regenerate map since that leaves the same settings as the last map and therefore you will not get a random map type each time.

Anyway, I found that 54% of all starts will have more than 49% forest and 34% of all starts will have more than 70% forest. (Note that both of those numbers are only counting land squares within the fat cross of the starting point) Although you are twice as likely to have >49% forest on a coastal start than an inland start and 3 times as likely to have >70% forests on a coastal start.

If you want to look at screenies, here:

In that file is there is text document with a lot more info of what I found out. For those of you who don't want to want to download a 7.5 MB file for a singe text document, here:

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

to proper testing.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Do we know what causes this? I don't see anything obvious in the code, unless it's just a higher percentage of forests (60% currently, afaict, but it's been that way since the last Vanilla patch, I believe, ie BTS release).
        There is a thread over on CFC about the Cause of BTS All-forest One-resource Starts. The first post gives a good explanation about why, from a code perspective, these starts are generated. There is certainly scope to improve it within the SDK/Python.

Originally posted by Will
        I found that 54% of all starts will have more than 49% forest and 34% of all starts will have more than 70% forest.
        It would be interesting to see how many of the non-forested land squares contained resources that wouldn't be revealed until later in the game. I'd wager that most of the empty land sqaures on the heavily forested starts would contain a bonus.

Comment

That must be an OS setting ... is it Vista?? Mine installed just fine

Civ4 is the only game I've had this happen to. Plenty of other games have autoupdaters and none of them just fail like this.

You do know where to find the downloaded patch EXE, once that happened, right?

Of course. I wasn't going to go through that again.

Plus, inexplicably, I got better download from 'Poly than Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Plus, inexplicably, I got better download from 'Poly than Firaxis
            Only about 4 people downloaded the patch from'Poly.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I downloaded it twice from poly
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Multiply that by a couple of hundred and you might not be too far from the truth
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I downloaded it from poly after Gamespy cut off connection for no reason
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Thanks to everyone involved with the continued support of this wonderful game. We civ-addicts greatly appreciate it; I know I do.
                    I keep a record of all my civ games here.

aÅ¡tassi kammu naklu Å¡a Å¡umeri ṣullulu akkadû ana Å¡utēÅ¡uri aÅ¡ṭu
                    "I am able to read texts so sophisticated that the Sumerian is obscure and the Akkadian hard to explain" (King Assurbanipal of Assyria 7th century BC)

Comment

Originally posted by MontyLaremane
                      It would be interesting to see how many of the non-forested land squares contained resources that wouldn't be revealed until later in the game. I'd wager that most of the empty land sqaures on the heavily forested starts would contain a bonus.
                      Agreed. That test is invalid since he didn't go into Worldbuilder to reveal any hidden resources that were in those empty tiles. The number for forested starts would have been much higher that way.

Comment

Originally posted by fed1943
                        Just patched.
                        Old saves no longer work.
                        Just the pitboss with Snoopy369 hosting it goes on.
                        Someone can,please,to guide me how to fix it?
                        My thanks in advance.
                        I loaded my 3.13 saved game just fine.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I sure do like that Worst Enemy notification in the diplo screen. On my first run through, Hatshepsut became the worst enemy of three other civs, including Shaka, so I figured it wasn't a good idea to have Open Borders with her or do any trading.

Comment

Re: 3.17 changelist

Added tectonics map script (thanks LDiCesare)
                            Added Earth2 map script (thanks GRM7584)
                            Added RandomScriptMap map script (thanks Refar)
                            Can anyone tell me what these map scripts do, or where I can find that information?

Comment

Thanks, Alexman, hope you get some sleep tonight

edit: I posted a local copy here:

for those unable to connect to GameSpy to download the retail patch. Please do not use this if you have the Direct2Drive or Steam versions of the game, use their own patching mechanisms.
                              thanks Alex and thanks Snoop
                              Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                              I am of the Horde.

Comment

Barbarian spearmen .

There goes my habit to do barb hunting with chariots (which used to be great up to axemen).

Comment

Working...
                                X