Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis to Include Nelson Mandela and Fidel Castro in Next XP?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acuoio

The leader may be a military leader (Hannibal/Washington), Diversity is good.

But George W. also made it to President.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

If you want to nuke Hitler, you can make a mod that lets you, but Firaxis will NEVER make Hitler a leader, because if they do, there will be such a HUGE uproar.

It's not even like he was a leader of Germany. He was a leader of Nazi Germany. Comparing the two is like comparing Germany to the Holy Roman Empire.

Comment

Frederick was the leader of Prussia. Not Germany. But Nazi Germany, modern Germany, Prussia and the Holy Roman Empire were all German.

Your first point is spot on.
        LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

Personally, I don't find Germany and the Holy Roman Empire to have anything in common except for their intentions and what they both eventually became.

When Hitler was in power, it wasn't the real Germany. Germany is a democracy, and it went into a dictatorship state for a time. Would you call the Soviet Union and Modern Russia the same things?

Comment

I'd say that I've no issue with Stalin and Peter being leaders of the Russian civ.

I don't see what German democracy has to do with who the leader should be. Bismarck had power when the country was not a democracy. For roughly the first fifty years of the state of Germany's existence it wasn't a democracy.
            Last edited by Thedrin; July 25, 2006, 08:29.
            LandMasses Version 3 Now Available since 18/05/2008.

Comment

The selection of civ leaders is done to represent the different behaviors the civilization (not necessarily the country/countries) has had throughout history. Ex: Modern France is democratic, but Napoleon was an imperialistic warmonger, as was Louis XIV to an extent.

The German civilization has gone through lots of different permutations: scattered tribes, Carolingian and Ottonian unification, the HRE, Prussian/Austrian spheres of influence (German dualism), the 2nd Reich, the Weimar Republic, the 3rd Reich, the Divided Country and the Unified Nation.

Granted, they neither can nor will pick leaders to represent each of these different time periods, and I think Frederick the Great and Otto von Bismarck are good choices to represent the civilization. Fred. represents the cultural side of the civ (Org/Phi), while Bismarck is the more pragmatic side (Exp/Ind). Were they to choose another leader (and I'm not saying they should) I would choose Barbarossa (Agg/Cha) to represent Germany's militaristic side.
              The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
              "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
              "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
              The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I'm sorry, I picked my words incorrectly, I don't mean that the default Germany is a democracy, I'm saying that when Nazi Germany took over it turned into an entirely different country, in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Prussia
                  I'm sorry, I picked my words incorrectly, I don't mean that the default Germany is a democracy, I'm saying that when Nazi Germany took over it turned into an entirely different country, in my eyes.
                  Well, it was a different country. Just like how all those different French republics were different countries. However, in both instances, it was the same civilization -- the same nation. But yes, different countries.
                  The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                  "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                  "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                  The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Working...
                  X