Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firaxis to Include Nelson Mandela and Fidel Castro in Next XP?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LordShiva

Huayna Capac would beg to differ

So would Hatshepsut, Montezuma, and Mansa Musa.
    So would Alexander.
    The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
    - Frank Herbert

Comment

Anyway, going back to the original discussion (especially since the Hitler/Stalin/Mao debate has been already done to death a number of times), I don't particularly mind introducing not-so-succesful leaders, provided that they fulfill the following criteria:

1. They actually ruled the country (which rules out characters like Joan of Arc),

2. They are historically documented (which rules out King Arthur, Hyppolita and the like).

Other than that, I think the determination should be made at the civilization level, not at the leader level - Castro and Mandela, for example, do not deserve to be leaders not because they themselves were not important, but because the nations they represent do not deserve to be civilizations in the Civilization sense - they are both very young countries and such countries should be included only in exceptional circumstances, when they really have a claim to greatness so to speak (such as the USA).

As for including "failures" as leaders, I don't necessarily mind that, provided that they are recognisable and there are no better candidates - so while it may work for less prominent civs such as Zulus or Mali (which did not go on to become superpowers), it would be much more difficult to justify introducing some failure as a leader of Germany or France, as these countries have many more recognised and succesful leaders to choose from.
      The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
      - Frank Herbert

Comment

Originally posted by Martinus
        1. They actually ruled the country (which rules out characters like Joan of Arc),
        Rules out Gandhi, too...
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Rules out Gandhi, too...

Very true.

Even so, India's not short of great rulers, whether 'echt' Indian (that is, would pass the aneeshm respectability test ) or quasi-Indian, like the Kushans Vima Kadphises or Kanishka.

A southern Indian ruler like one of the Cholas might be nice for a change...

Kanishka's coinage
          Attached Files
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Rules out Gandhi, too...
            Hannibal too. Just an extraordinary general. And Brennus never ruled "the Celts." He was just a chieftain of one of many Gallic tribes (I believe his were the Senones ).
            The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

Any single ruler was a part of their civilization for only a very short time. Someone representative of the civilization still needed to be selected. For that reason, anyone would be a valid (and probably invalid) choice.
              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
              2004 Presidential Candidate
              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01

Hannibal too. Just an extraordinary general. And Brennus never ruled "the Celts." He was just a chieftain of one of many Gallic tribes (I believe his were the Senones ).
                Yes, but it's called 'Civilization'.

Since nobody ever ruled ALL the Celts, they'd have to go with rulers of localized parts of the Celtic civilization.

So naturally, they'd go with the more well-known ones, such as Boudicca, Cartimandua, Brennus, Cogidubnus, Vercingetorix and so on.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

If you have Caesar you will need to have Vercingetorix too.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                    If you have Caesar you will need to have Vercingetorix too.

Otherwise, how will Julius be able to go Alesia on a Sunday afternoon ?

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Since nobody ever ruled ALL the Celts, they'd have to go with rulers of localized parts of the Celtic civilization.

So naturally, they'd go with the more well-known ones, such as Boudicca, Cartimandua, Brennus, Cogidubnus, Vercingetorix and so on.
                      Boudica only ruled two tribes in eastern Britian for a few years. Vercingetix may get in.
                      USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

I know. My point was that Civ leaders don't necessarily have to be some big emperor who ruled a vast empire, as is evidenced by the inclusion of Gandhi and Hannibal. As the most recognizable individuals from their respective countries, I see no problem with their inclusion.

I would've picked Vercingetorix or Boudicca over Brennus myself, but since nobody ever ruled all the Celts as you say, I suppose it doesn't really matter.
                        The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
                        "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
                        "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
                        The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

I think the key is whether or not that "leader" and their country made a significant impact on the rest of the world at some given period in history. The leader may be a military leader (Hannibal/Washington), a spiritual leader (Ghandi), or an all-around great leader (Roosevelt, Churchill, etc). Although Hitler fills the bill, he is still today viewed in a negative light and there are people who are still very sensitive to him and what he did.

In my opinion, Firaxis should pick a leader or two per nation and move on to the next. Diversity is good.

Comment

Personally I would like to see Lady Godiva as leader of the Brits.

I'd be in diplomatic conversation with her now and then during my game whenever I get the horn (of war sound).

Comment

They just have to be GOOD leaders - Gandhi.

Comment

I think some thought should go to the possible scenarios. For this reason, I would love to see Hitler, Tojo, Stalin, and Vercingtorix, though Boudica might not be too bad either.

And sometimes, I want to have a leader I hate (Hitler, Tojo, Stalin) on the map, just so I can kill them. Wouldn't it be great to nuke Hitler?
                                I don't know what I've been told!
                                Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                                Love to press the Buster Switch!
                                Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Working...
                                X