Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Six Civs Belong in the Next Expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Six Civs Belong in the Next Expansion?

The way I see it, if we as a gaming community tell Firaxis what civs we want in an expansion, they're more likely to see things our way.

I mean, no Babylon in Warlords? Devastating. So pick 6 civs in the poll, and tell us all why you chose them.
    BABYLONIANS!
    13.85%
    Mayans
    7.98%
    Hebrews
    7.04%
    Thai
    4.23%
    Byzantines
    7.28%
    Sumerians
    4.46%
    Hittites
    3.76%
    Khmer
    2.82%
    Ethiopians
    5.87%
    Dutch
    7.51%
    Potuguese
    6.57%
    Sioux
    3.76%
    Iroquois
    6.57%
    Austrians
    3.76%
    Polish
    4.69%
    Indonesians
    2.58%
    Other... (Say what and why)
    3.05%
    Yes, we have no bananas!
    4.23%
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Personally, I wonder whether the Babylonians are being held back for yet another expansion pack further down the road than Warlords.
    Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
    +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
    http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by TimeTraveler
      Personally, I wonder whether the Babylonians are being held back for yet another expansion pack further down the road than Warlords.
      Oh, I certainly hope they are (as it is a better option than none at all). But why hold them back?
      The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

My votes were:
        Babylon
        Sumeria
        Byzantium
        Iroquouis
        Khmer
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

How about I start erasing every Alexander's post which mentions Babylon ?
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

hmmm... trying to skew the poll towards Babylon, Alexander?
            Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Comment

Originally posted by Solvah
              How about I start erasing every Alexander's post which mentions Babylon ?
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Babylonians, Dutch, Hebrews, Iroquois, Khmer, Mayans.

Babylonians: Mesopotamia is one of the cradles of cilvilization. Sumerians would be acceptable, too, but I'm a Civ nostalgic.

Khmer, Mayans: We have Angkor Wat and Chichen Itza in the game, right?

Dutch: They built up one of the most important trade empires.

Iroquois: I'd like to have at least one native north American tribe in Civ. The Sioux would also be okay.

Hebrews: A rather close call for civ no. 6 (the Ethiopians and the Portugese being strong contenders), but if Judaism and Christianity are in the game, the Hebrews should be, too.
                "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

I think the Polish should be in there... Poland has been at the center of political and military strategy between European powers for hundreds of years, and at one time had one of the largest land empires in central Europe.

Comment

Mayans, Polish, Babylonians, Sumerians, Ethiopians, Khmer.

Polish because the game has never had a proper central European civ (Germans are a bit iffy whether they are central European or not). Could also take the Slavs or similar.

For a hypothetical 3rd expansion I would pick: Portuguese, Dutch, Minoans, Assyrians, Nubian, Thai. After that you've pretty much exhausted the good choices and have to start picking mediocre-ish ones (Thai are a bit iffy already). Harappans would be a good one but they're not really suited for the Civ format.

But quit whinging about Babylon. Yes, I want them in too but we get the point already...
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Hebrews: If they are good enough for God himself, they're good enough for a PC game.

Ethiopians: some Ethiopian women are sexy, Moses would have agreed with me on that one.

Babylonians: like Alexander I'm quite surprised they're not in already. A nobrainer.

Sumerians: the world's first recorded civilization-in-the-modern-sense. (Unless you count pre-Flood nomads)

Hittites: these are another civilization that comes to people's lips when asked to 'think of some famous civilizations'. More famous than, say, the 'Portugese civilization' or the 'Polish civilization'.

Byzantines: very important civilization which led to the development of the Eastern Orthodox Christian tradition, one of the three main divisions of Christianity.

But I was thinking about this more closely last night, and I wondered if they might theme the next expansion pack along such 'ancient' lines? They might for example choose to have more medieval, Renaissance, industrial and modern warfare represented in the next XP on account of the fact that Warlords is set mostly in the ancient era.

We might be looking for more stuff like variations of Christianity in the next XP, to represent the inquisition and inter-Christian warfare of medieval Europe, as well as colonization of new New World-related stuff.

It's unlikely, I think, that Firaxis will make their next XP Biblically-themed as 5 out of my 6 choices above would require.

Comment

Apolytoners' Civ Preference List

Alexander01: Babylon
                        Son of David: Israel
                        Herreson: Ethiopia
                        LordShiva: Zimbabwe led by Canaan Banana

Who else? I don't mean those with one or two posts sayin "X would be cool," but rather, those with conviction.

(PS. This poll is invalid )
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

PPS. I voted for all the bogus options, as is my custom, and was surprised to see that I wasn't the only one in any of the cases.

Comment

Seems that the Mayans are quite popular, too.

(And the Austrians are on par with the Hittites and the Sioux. )
                            "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

My guess:

Firaxian #1: "Babylon really ought to be in here, huh?"

Firaxian #2: "Yeah, but so should half a dozen others. If we pull out the Thai or Polynesians we'll get a lot of chatter on the forums."

Firaxian #3: "Or we could just not use Babylon in this game at all. Ever."

Firaxian #1: "..."

Firaxian #2: "Yeah, that'd do the trick."
                              "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                              "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                              "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Working...
                              X