No announcement yet.

No CD Petition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple answer: it's against the rules because the owners said so. And they're the ones who make the rules. I think, though, that many of the copy-paste quotes in the OTF fall under fair use.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

• On one hand, I don't like people who think that software developers should not get paid. They are like slave-owners who believe in getting something for nothing.

On the other hand, I've had a laptop that would overheat because of a civ game that whirred the CD constantly. Oh, and the CD broke too, which was uneconomic to fix post-warranty. So, Civ 3 helped break my laptop and cost me hundreds of pounds. OK, dodgy laptop anyway, so it wasn't all the game's fault, but at the margin copy protection can maul the customer badly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
        Simple answer: it's against the rules because the owners said so. And they're the ones who make the rules. I think, though, that many of the copy-paste quotes in the OTF fall under fair use.
        Fair use only entitles brief attributed quotes. I often see complete articles reposted.

Comment

• sign me up!!!

Comment

• Buy the game from Direct2Drive.com. No CD required. (but, unfortunately, the 2.08 Warlords patch doesn't work with the direct2drive copy).

Comment

• If you want to get around the cd protection feature, you can download the warlord patch from the Valve (game streaming) service, which has the no-cd patch on gamershell website.

Comment

• As a paying customer, I am not concerned about piracy problems. If you inconvenience me too much, I'll just stop buying.
                I would like to express my appreciation to the moderators of this site for their candor, open mindedness and fairness when some other sites would not even allow a discussion like this to take place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                  Simple answer: it's against the rules because the owners said so. And they're the ones who make the rules. I think, though, that many of the copy-paste quotes in the OTF fall under fair use.
                  Highly doubtful. It's commentary, but they are copying the full work.

Comment

• //signed//
                    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• I can't believe I read most of this useless thread...

//signed//

Comment

• Would appreciate an official no-cd patch also. Hell, i'd even be willing to pay 5 bucks and have to validate every now and then.

I have a version of C3C that has never been (and will never be) played because of the copy protection that prevented it from being played on my old system.

Comment

• Since I didn't sign it pre-bump, signed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                            5) Realize that your laptop's HD can only hold so many .iso's in addition to the installed game.
                            So use Game Jackal, which lets you make a profile of the protection without it being a full ISO. The reason for them NOT putting out a NO-CD is that it tends to lead to piracy, and in case you didn't notice, the game is still selling.

Many games that disappear from the retail channel deserve a NO CD when they no longer generate money. With the next expansion pack(whenever it comes out), sales of the original game will also pick back up.

Comment

• Re: Re: No CD Petition

Originally posted by Zoid

1) Download Daemon Tools
                              2) make an .iso of the Civ4 disc
                              3) Mount the .iso in DT
                              4) Problem solved!
                              Never mind...

Comment

• /signed/
                                "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                                --George Bernard Shaw
                                A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                                --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                                X