• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sign Me In
    Better than playing blitz chess and piano simultaneously: Warcraft III

Comment

• Signed
      Broogan Dreadbow
      WindowsXP Pro SP2, AMD AthlonXP 2800+, ASUS A7V600, ATI Radeon 9800Pro/128, TB Santa Cruz, 3x512MB PC2700 DDR, Seagate 200GB, Maxtor 40GB

Comment

• I don't know why people care so much about the licences, they charge you a rip of prices for some game or silly software and justify that by that they'll continue producing it if you pay them, yea right, just becase YOU or ME payed for a game or software a large sum of money you could use to go on summer vacation and enjoy yourself. Its normal to pay that buggy micro**** windows and get they're louzy online support and they even never patch all the security holes. To pay for that? Please... those companys will earn they're bloody money from the sweat of underpayed workers anyway and they want our money support for that? Get lost, tell those fairy tales to someone else, tell it to the brainwashed americans. When I see on some americans forums how scary they talk about piracy even ban users who mention it I LMAO on that. If this makes any sense, consider me SIGNED. And yea, about that MORAL thing, who is moral today? Those selling companies are moral when they charge you such prices for products? Yea right.. when the whole world becomes moral, I will be "moral" too, whatever that means. I work for minimum wage in my country, if I were paid better, maybe I would be more "moral". Until world is like this, I have no time or money to be moral enough. I said my opinion democratic way. If I crossed the line or some rules of this forum by saying what I think, feel free to ban me. I will understand..

Comment

• I like to pay. Even if I can get it free (not steal) I want to pay. Experience have shown me it is cheaper.
          Obviously, if I pay you and you try to deceive me... guard yourself.

Best regards,

Comment

• Sign me out.

Playing swap in and and out with CDs is annoying and frustrating, but I look at it this way: I have a key to my house and to my car and to my games. All my really valuable things have keys of some sort. The keys for my loved ones may not be physical things, but all my really valuable things have keys.
            If you aren't confused,
            You don't understand.

Comment

• I don't claim to be the sole person who can say what is "right" and what is "wrong" but I'm pretty sure that under my moral code your opinions fall in the "wrong" category viktor82.

Comment

• Anyone here, who just like to own stuff? No matter your moral code, it's nice to have a CIV4 box in my shelf, with a proper manual and all...

Somehow, I get the feeling, that I might pirate EA's latest NHL or something, your basic cookie cutter sequel. But not CIV. No way. There's enough game in Civ to warrant the price, which can't be said about many games out today... Those I might download, play for 5 minutes, and then uninstall, because they are frak'in boring.

Mind you, I did download a copy of CIV while my game was in the mail... Just for the fix.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

• I totally agree with the NO-CD concept. I've always used them even though I've got the original disc

Swapping discs all the time, extra loading time, disc-drives that are really noisy - who wants that?

So thumbs up for me!

\Skodkim

Comment

• If you want to send petition, send it to Take2, not to Firaxis that has no control on such things.

It's always publishers call, not call of the developers.

Comment

• Sign me up.

Not as it is a major hassle putting the disc in, but I have a 3 year old and an 18 month old, and in my case it is a hassle remembering to go and get the discs from the bedrrom, where they are hidden from my beloved monsters, before the wife goes to sleep.

She does not see the funny side of me waking her up

I am on my second store bought CIV thanks to an oopsy of the kids.
                      I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

• personally. I'd like them to install a no-cd patch to civ4 because the copyright protection software that detects the cd is incompatible with my laptop's dvd drive!

I'm actively searching for a hacked version of the binary right now for the simple fact that I can't play the friggin game on my main gaming machine without it.

very sad. I've never tried to bypass copyright protection before, but the stupid developers have given me no choice.
                        In a minute there is time
                        For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
                        - T. S. Eliot

Comment

• Originally posted by jdchambe
                          very sad. I've never tried to bypass copyright protection before, but the stupid developers have given me no choice.
                          Yes, they're really dumb, especially when you see that Stardock is selling hundred thousands of Galciv2 without CD protection (BTW, you should really give it a try !)

I'm also playing mostly on my laptop and I prefer to have an additionnal battery rather than a CD reader, so I found a nice solution for this kind of issue: Alcohol52 & SD4Hider

Alcohol52 cost 40€ but believe me it's a very good investment : your original CDs are kept in a safe place and you don't have to bring them along (I have WC3, CIV, GCII and EUII on my laptop)
                          Better than playing blitz chess and piano simultaneously: Warcraft III

Comment

• I'm loath to try anything from Stardock again for a different reason. I despise the software distribution software that they force me to install. Last time I installed Stardock software on my machine, nothing short of a complete system rollback was able to extricate that infernal beast from my system.

As for copyright protection: developers need to strike the right balance on that front and these over aggressive measures are the wrong balance. by implementing a copy right scheme that locks a subset of your users out from being able to play the game they payed for the only thing they are accomplishing is training their customers to investigate and learn about copyright protection hacks and workarounds which they never would have had any interest in otherwise.
                            In a minute there is time
                            For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.
                            - T. S. Eliot

Comment

• I think the biggest problem with CD requirements is that nowadays every $200 system comes with a CD burner.

10 years ago, requiring the CD meant people couldn't copy the game without either breaking the lock or spending $5 on a writable CD and finding a friend with a $500 burner. Spending $40 on the game seemed reasonable even disregarding the moral/ethical issues.

Now-a-days any shmuck can copy the CD for $0.25 and have a perfectly functional game. You can even download the CD image over the net for free. Moral/Ethical issues aside, spending $60 in the store seems rediculously expensive.

Oh, and that CD image you rip from the web, probably already has the copy-protection broken.

CD protection does seem to be of very little value, and still be of reasonably high annoyance.

Comment

• This game is Retarted

Thanks Firaxis for reminding me of the HELL of early 90s late 80s gaming.

This game has caused me nothing but hassle!

After I try to run it.

DVD get STUCK in drive...!
                                DVD dissapear from My Computer??? huh?

Then I need REBOOT, to get my own DVD drive back

CIv4 Make my computer freeze and locks up after a number of insert CD tries.

I have spent 1 hour so far to get this to work. now I find I need uninstall my DVD burner software...lol.???

Then I find it want to use MY DVD drive as it personal copy protect dongle?

This is rubbish. I will never recommend a Firaxis 2K game to anyone. You realy have remind me of bad experiences of early computer days. Please go to hell 2K users dont want this crap no more.

Comment

Working...
                                X