No announcement yet.

The Mysterious Pharaoh Leaderhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are we just assuming that it's Ramses the Great?
    The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
    "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
    "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
    The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

The image looks like Ramses II.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
        So are we just assuming that it's Ramses the Great?
        I'm not 100% convinced, but he is the favorite I would say.
        http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Zoolooman
          The image looks like Ramses II.
          Really? Could you recognize Ramses based on what little we know of his appearance?

Fun little game: guess the pharaoh. Which one of these are Ramses II (and who are the other ones)? Can you tell without googling?

If you ask me, the Firaxis image could've been modeled after just about any one of these, they don't look that different for the most part.

I think Ramses II and Menes would be the obvious choices, but could be anyone really. And frankly, who cares? Any of the first 7 choices in the poll would be fine by me, and I could think of a few others I wouldn't mind either (Seti I, Ahmose, Ramses III) -- Egypt's so old, it had so many great leaders.
          Attached Files
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

1 is Khufu, 4 is Khafra and 5 is Ramses II. I don't know the others. 6 could be Hatshepsut.
            "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
            "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
            The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

If, as I believe, Firaxis has used Civ1 as inspiration, none of those statues is neccessarily relevant Locutus.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Ancient Egyptian art aimed to portray its subjects as stylised, idealised forms. As such, pharaohs were depicted according to a standardised template, and bore little resemblence to what they looked like in real life. Case in point: Hatshepsut was depicted as a guy with a beard, because that was how the ideal pharaoh looked.

So, as Nikolai says, none of these statues nor any existing artwork for that matter is necessarily relevant.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Alexander,

Only the real obvious ones, huh (especially 5)? But there's more than one Ramses II in there, care to venture a guess who the other one(s) is/are?

No, 6 is not Hatshepsut. Despite its appearance that's a male pharaoh.

Originally posted by LordShiva
                  So, as Nikolai says, none of these statues nor any existing artwork for that matter is necessarily relevant.
                  That's exactly my point (although it's not what Nikolai said )

Comment

If I had to venture a guess as to which was the other Ramses, I'd say 3, maybe 7.

6 is not Hatshepsut? Which dynasty liked to make their Pharaohs look girly? Is it Thutmose III? Because that would be really ironic.

I'm not sure on the others, but I'd say that 2 is Old Kingdom, 9 is new kingdom and 8 is a Nubian. Is that right?

You know, despite the stylized features and standardized gear, each of these images really does seem to have a different face.
                    Last edited by Alexander I; March 19, 2006, 00:01.

Comment

Menes and Augustus Caesar already have diplo text in the XML files, so I'm guessing they're in.
                      "The human race would have perished long ago if its preservation had depended only on the reasoning of its members." - Rousseau
                      "Vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer!" - Erich Honecker
                      "If one has good arms, one will always have good friends." - Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander01
                        If I had to venture a guess as to which was the other Ramses, I'd say 3, maybe 7.

6 is not Hatshepsut? Which dynasty liked to make their Pharaohs look girly? Is it Thutmose III? Because that would be really ironic.
                        Ah, you needed an edit 3 hours later, but you got them eventually 3 and 7 are indeed Ramses II as well. But so is 8, so that's not Nubian obviously. And yes, the Thutmosis one is very ironic, which is why it's my favourite ancient Egyptian statue. Well, that and because it's positively gorgeous and absolutely perfectly preserved from the waist up, not a scratch on it (pictures can't do it justice, especially not with that poor lighting -- if you ever visit Luxor make sure you visit the museum, it's small and doesn't have much to offer compared to Cairo, but that statue (and an almost equally well-preserved statue of Amenhotep III with Sobek) alone makes it worthwhile).

I'm not sure on the others, but I'd say that 2 is Old Kingdom
                        Even older. No need to guess, you know who it is now

9 is indeed New Kingdom, it's Ramses III. 10 is Amenhotep III. That should cover them all.

You know, despite the stylized features and standardized gear, each of these images really does seem to have a different face.
                        Yes they do, even ones of the same pharaoh. Which just goes to show how pointless speculation on the Civ4 pharaoh is... but I guess the same can be said about most discussions on Apolyton

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                          Even older. No need to guess, you know who it is now
                          You mean it's Menes? I didn't think we had any proof that he existed, except for people who believe he's the same as Narmer and point to the Narmer palette. Could you elaborate? You obviously have access to some info that I don't.

Ah, you needed an edit 3 hours later,
                          Yes, I went back and reread your post and saw that you said there might be more than 1 other Ramses picture. So I took another stab at it.

By the way, that was fun. I enjoy being stumped. We should try something like that again.
                          Last edited by Alexander I; March 19, 2006, 10:40.

Comment

Really? Could you recognize Ramses based on what little we know of his appearance?
                            Yea, really, but not because I can recognize Ramses II from a random statue or drawing. :]

Blame Civilization.

It looks like Ramses II because of this guy:
                            Attached Files

Comment

And at last, the long discussed Civ1 portrait is made manifest.

Comment

You got to be kidding me, I postred that pic in the other thread discussing this days ago.
                                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Working...
                                X