What do Jewish Missionarys say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do Jewish Missionarys say?

When the Jewish missionarys spread Judism, what do the missionarys chant?

My coworker and I are pretty sure it is hebrew - but we were wondering what it translates into in English. Anyone know??
    Early to rise, Early to bed.
    Makes you healthy and socially dead.

You would think it would be the Shemah, but it doesn't sound at all like that to me. Could it be "the LORD bless you and keep you?" Come on where are the Hebrew scholars out there? This has been dirivng me nuts also.

Comment

It is probably gibberish meant to sound Hebrew. That way, they just can't offend anyone.

Firaxis did it with the Pirates! remake. The pirates speak gibberish, but its funny, one word seems to pop up in several of the conversations the pirates say. The word is Chu-ban. My daughter and I have taken this word up as a loving way to taunt each other. Like when we play air hockey, I'll say, "I'm never gonna let a chu-ban like you beat me!" Then I let her win. I'm sure the parenting experts would find some kind of fault with that, but she gets a kick out of it.
      The Rook

Comment

Not the hi-jack or anything. But I also have a question about the religious sounds. I was wondering if anyone out there had any info as to what the chanting the Taoist religion has (when discovered and when it spreads). It's really neat and I wanna download some, but have no idea what it is called or how to go about finding out what it is! In fact, i'm not sure it is even chanting... it sorta sounds like it could be a type of organ

BTW: This is kind of a long shot, but for anyone out there who played Age of Empires 2: Age of Kings, when you were in a skirmish or multiplayer game selecting your team to play as a unique sound clip would play for each team when the game started. If you ever played as the Mongols, they had the same kind of chanting/organ.

Anyway, I've been wondering this for the past 7 years or so (since 1999 when AoE2 came out) and have just recently remember my *interest* in whatever this music is from Civ4. I'd love it if anyone had any info on it.
        Last edited by To_Serve_Man; March 1, 2006, 00:48.
        "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
          Not the hi-jack or anything. But I also have a question about the religious sounds. I was wondering if anyone out there had any info as to what the chanting the Taoist religion has (when discovered and when it spreads). It's really neat and I wanna download some, but have no idea what it is called or how to go about finding out what it is! In fact, i'm not sure it is even chanting... it sorta sounds like it could be a type of organ
          I always thought it to be very reminiscent of Mongolian throat singing, but I'm not quite sure if that's actually what it is (actual throat singing sounds much more 'raw', the Taoist sound is more like a cleaned-up version of it). The fact that it reminds you of the AoK Mongols sound (never played AoK myself) seems to confirm this...
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I was under the impression that Taoism is a dead religion.
            The Rook

Comment

Aren't they all?
              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                Aren't they all?
                Yes, but it would be a brave man to tell Off-Topic that

Comment

Since when is ones anonimity on the 'net not assured anymore?
                  He who knows others is wise.
                  He who knows himself is enlightened.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Wether any of the 7 religions are dead or not is irellevant to Civ4 and to this thread, so please keep to the topic.

I would also like to know what those missionaries chant.
                    Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
                    Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Comment

Originally posted by Rook
                      I was under the impression that Taoism is a dead religion.
                      No, Taoism is still alive in China - although every other religon and Communism is squeezing it.
                      Jim Cobb

Comment

I always think is sounds like "Whoa-a-oh! We be singing!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin the Dane
                          Wether any of the 7 religions are dead or not is irellevant to Civ4 and to this thread, so please keep to the topic.

I would also like to know what those missionaries chant.
                          Actually it IS relavant. The poster asked what the Taosists were chanting in Civ 4. I asked whether Taoism is dead, because if it is, that would make it harder to find an answer. Because someone else made a joke about it is not my fault.
                          The Rook

Comment

After some investigation, (I feel kinda bad hi-jacking like this and not really helping the OP.... but I really have no knowledge of the Jewish faith or anything. Although I find that sometimes if you take sound file and edit it with just the basic Windows Sound Recorder [assuming your using Windows] and either slow it down or speed it up, it sometimes makes it clearer) and searching around the net for Mongolian Throat chants (which lead me to Tuvan and Chinese throat chants also), it does seem like the Taoist missionary (and Mongols from Age of Kings) do seem to have a very... "orchestrated" version. The samples I found on the net obviously don't represent the whole body of work that encompasses Mongolian Throat chanting. The net samples were simple, usually one harmonious note with little change in notes: where as the computer games seem to have a little rhythm/melody they sing.
                            "Mr. Chambers! Don't get on that ship! We've mastered the book, To Serve Man.... it - its a cook book!"

Comment

Originally posted by To_Serve_Man
                              I was wondering if anyone out there had any info as to what the chanting the Taoist religion has (when discovered and when it spreads).
                              I went back and listen to it some more. It sounds like a kind of Chinese musical instrument to me.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X