civ1 was not perfect either

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cort Haus
    It could be argued that old character graphics games like Hack! on unix were clear and distinct, once you knew that a semi-colon was a giant beetle etc.
    Yep, but on the other hand, the genius that designed Civ1 graphics doesn't deserve to have them compared to ASCII art

It's both the little details and the overall feel that are done well. For example, take the Civ2 original sea/ocean terrain. This was probably a Brian Reynolds 1:00AM hack, because it is very light and actually irritating on the eye if you play a long time (and civ games take a long time).

In Civ1 the sea is of a deep blue shade that won't irritate the eye.

Comment

Quick question: Why havent you rail roaded any of the sea squares that was always fun, esp combined with the finish any improvement in one turn bug

Comment

Quick answer, it ain't fun
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Exploits are never fun for serious gamer.

Comment

Then I guess I'm not a serious gamer when I try to use every advantage I can to gain victory. >={

Comment

There is difference between exploit/bug and advantage.
              Exploit/bugs dull out possible victory as cheap.

Comment

For Civ games up to Civ III after a time I was not playing against AI, but against myself. Trying to play better and setting own goals and limitations. I've quit playing Civ III after beating it on Deity minus 1. Deity itself would have been a challenge, but I lost interest in the game.

Comment

I've used some of the screenshots I made earlier to write up an Civ1 info page for my site. It's in Croatian: http://www.civilizacija.net/content.php?content.9

Comment

That I can read...

Comment

Comment

Any chance of an english translation? My croatian is a bit rusty...
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

It's just a somewhat nostalgic info page Dr Zoidberg, nothing important. I can recommend Apoytons and CivFanatics Civ1 sections for more info about this great game

Comment

I just thought it´s always fun to read game nostalgia. I haven´t played Civ 1 in over 10 years...
                            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I played Civ1 on the SNES once. The game would go into veiw city graphic and show people protesting when the city was in disorder.

Comment

Just flicked through the Civ1 text files. I'd forgotten about the newspapers!

"Nero fiddles while Rome burns"
                                "Marie Antoinette's diet revealed: cake!"

Comment

Working...
                                X