civ1 was not perfect either

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civ1 was not perfect either

In this interview: http://planetcivilization.gamespy.co...ws.Detail&id=4 (already covered in the news section) it is assumed that civ1 was perfect and didn't need any patching.

Well, that's not true. there's a civ1 patch. There are about 2 or 3 civ1 versions I think. Of course it wasn't possible to distribute it over the internet though.

And civ1 got one VERY VERY huge bug. If your empire grew too large and got too many citizen (they were displayed at the top, rembember) the new citizen were displayed on the map, and resulted in super-tiles with >50 bread and >50 shields where you could build hyper cities that would grow every turn and crank out amazingly much production.

Growing a large empire always resulted into this and always made the game unplayable in the end.
    Perhaps the casual gamer never noticed this though.

So please don't act as if civ1 was all perfect and patching was something that wasn't needed in those days. civ1 got bugs and there were new versions. They were just never released as patches.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

I remember perfectly well, that Civ1 was perfect, don't spread out such lies
    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
      I remember perfectly well, that Civ1 was perfect, don't spread out such lies
      that's because you're just a casual gamer

Comment

I thought Hyper-cities was a feature, not a bug

Comment

It was my favourite feature.

Comment

It's true, it's true.

In my day we had real bugs. And they weren't fixed very easily neither.

Comment

I played civ 1 on an Atari ST. The way 'corruption' worked was to create unhappy citizens due to city number and distance. Eventually you'd get negative happiness in a far-flung city and the game would crash when you opened that city. Ah, those were the days - when moving a boat out of port woud create unhappiness...

Comment

Remember, when the first patch for civ2 was launched (and you found that out a few months later) we became happy!

Now we're badmouthing the developping house for the fact that a patch is nessecary since all we want is perfect games for little money

Comment

There was a patch for Civ2?

Why wasn't I online back then to find out?

Comment

There were several.

Comment

several??
                      He who knows others is wise.
                      He who knows himself is enlightened.
                      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Yes, several patches. In your base civ2 directory, there should be a file called patch.txt that describes the changes up through patch 1.11. For comparison, the final version of Civ II before Conflicts in Civilization was released was 2.42, so 1.11 was probably not the last patch. I've attached my copy of patch.txt to this post.

One note in there that I found interesting:

-- Civ2 Patch version 1.06 --

* OOPS! Patch 1.04 broke the AI. This fixes it. Sorry!
                        Attached Files
                        oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

Yes, there were several before 2.42. There was also the unofficial MGE patch after.

Comment

Look, some bugs were really serious:
                            (the comments are cool )

* The "Auto" feature can no longer be used to circumvent the 50% penalty for production changes (sorry).
                            * Some problems with user-defined techs (where it was not recognizing that user-defined techs had been discovered) have been corrected.
                            * Problem where users received a black box or black screen when going to the Civilopedia (or when a new advance discovered) has been corrected.
                            * The "Winning" animation is no longer displayed when another civilization wins the space race (!)
                            * OOPS! Patch 1.04 broke the AI. This fixes it. Sorry!

I got bored copying and pasting after these, there were much more
                            Some people really think that everything used to be better in the past

Comment

This is a good point, Cyber. I would just add that earlier games didn't have the huge graphical demands that we see now, and I think this helped to simplify to focus on gameplay. And I don't even mean this to say that something like Civ4 has less of a focus, per se, but the more complex you make a game, it's clear more things can go wrong in more ways.

Anyway, for somebody not to be happy with Firaxis making some leaps and bounds with the past two, very responsive patches is just crazy. On the other hand, I understand that game is virtually unplayable for some people, and I hope those issues get resolved by the next patch.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                              X