No announcement yet.

Patch v152 out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the 2 National wonder limit is helpful for those seeking a culture victory when you need 3 legacy cities, since it pushes you in the right direction.

It also gives you some interesting choices,

Do you want Heoric Epic with Iron Works for a super fast production of units or do you want Heoric Epic with West Point to produce level 4 units. (Also requires either Agressive traight or the Pentagon)

Originally posted by Silver14
    At least it is only for national wonders and not world wonders.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

• My only remaining request:

A true randomize map option. When I start a game, I don't want to know that it is a pangaea, or archipelago, etc.

There should be a few random map options:
      Random Classic (pangaea, archipelago, continent)
      Random SP (all the options in Play Now!)
      Random MP (the maps designed specifically for MP, such as Balanced and Mirror)
      Random All

This patch is fantastic. Thank you, Firaxis.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        I disagree. A weakened unit by nature simply does not fight as well as an undamaged one.
        So you're saying that you think logic is more important than gameplay. Well, fair enough - but I imagine that a lot of strategy game players prefer better gameplay. Chess is a case in point. It's one of the most popular strategy games of all time, yet it is far from realistic!

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        Look, it's a unit. A military unit doesn't die, because you can replace the personel.
        Fair enough. My point was that there are many unrealistic things in Civ that exist purely to enhance gameplay. A better example would have been how long it takes units to move. How many years to move a few hundred miles?

For my tastes, better gameplay makes this perfectly acceptible, just as it makes the new rules for weakened units perfectly acceptible.

Clearly, one man's meat is another's poison.

Comment

• here's a bug
          my 1.52 score on normal speed is recorded as 'normal'
          however, all my previous scores are now labelled 'epic, although i have played them all on normal. i guess a bug, probably because of introduction of 'marathon' duration.

squeaked past on points on prince

Comment

• Excellent. I was gone from my computer for several days and I'm really glad to see this is out. Both my systems are downloading the patch currently.

Thanks, Firaxis!
            One of these days I'll make 501 posts, and you won't have to look at my silly little diplomat anymore.
            "Oh my God, what a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?"

Comment

• After installing the patch I'm being asked if I want to replace the quick save file whenever I shift+f5 to quick save. Kind of takes the quick out of quick save. Also the games crashes after saving the quick save when I answer yes. Turing the quick save function into a "save and exit" function...

Comment

• Not a single crash so far and the game runs faster.

I'm satisfied with 1.52. Just need to test it in MP.

Comment

• Hrm... something is definitely screwy here. Running v1.52 with NO mods installed other than xml script that alters diplomacy speech and altering cavalry upgrade to tank, as well as moving cannon to replacable parts.

"Your system has run out of video memory. Please try reducing your video settings.
                  File:\main\civilization4.bak\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0 \CoreLibs\NiDX9Renderer\NiDX9VBManager.cpp, Line:1018"

Now, here's the tricky part. I'm running an Athlon64 3400+ with 1GB RAM, GeForce FX 5950 w/ 256MB RAM, Win XP Pro... No other programs running except Konfabulator and one single IE window open (with apolyton on it, of course!). Graphics settings: 1280x1024x32, high.

Was playing as English, just discovered steam power in 1860ish, huge terra map, low sea level, etc.

I don't see how I could have run out of video memory with that 256MB... This is not a low end system....

I have had problems with terra maps before, especially huge terra, though never -this- problem. Usually it's just a CTD problem that XP recovers gracefully from, and has a bit of warning before it goes (like blacking out regions when I click the minimap to a distant location, or slow load times). Mostly I have problems like this when I try to run that 18 civs earth map LOL, but that's more because the AI is crying under the weight of 18 civs, not graphics! I don't get it...

(oh, and the worst part is that when it crashed me to desktop, it left me in 16 COLOR mode...yes, that's 4 bit color...640x480)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my drivers are completely up to date as of early december. *shrugs*
                  Last edited by Aloriel; December 24, 2005, 21:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
                    My only remaining request:

A true randomize map option. When I start a game, I don't want to know that it is a pangaea, or archipelago, etc.

There should be a few random map options:
                    Random Classic (pangaea, archipelago, continent)
                    Random SP (all the options in Play Now!)
                    Random MP (the maps designed specifically for MP, such as Balanced and Mirror)
                    Random All

This patch is fantastic. Thank you, Firaxis.
                    Quoted for Redundancy!!!!!
                    Populus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur

Comment

• Well, the strategy layer is still not saved and right-clicking on a tech in the Reaserch screen still changes that to the tech to research. And my wonder movies still skip (well, at least they are back to being that bad. For a while I couldn't watch them at all.)

None of these bugs have been fixed in two patches.

But it is faster and I don't crash so that's good (of course I never did CtD so that's kind of par but still...).

Tom P.

Comment

• Originally posted by padillah
                        Well, the strategy layer is still not saved and right-clicking on a tech in the Reaserch screen still changes that to the tech to research. And my wonder movies still skip (well, at least they are back to being that bad. For a while I couldn't watch them at all.)

None of these bugs have been fixed in two patches.

But it is faster and I don't crash so that's good (of course I never did CtD so that's kind of par but still...).

Tom P.
                        The movie-skip bug has a fix. Set the in-game anti-aliasing to 0, then exit the game (and turn on your hardware anti-aliasing if it can handle the fram rate hit). Now start Civ4 again and your movies shouldn't skip anymore.
                        The research right-click bug is qute anoying, I'l agree.
                        I'm also seeing a bug where practicly half the time the descriptive tool-tips for the what-to-build/research-next pop-ups don't show up on mouse-over. If I go into the "Show me the big picture" or "Examine City" options, still no tooltips there either. Once all the popups are dealt with, the tooltips work again. This is intermitent. Some turns, tooltips-on-popups work, some turns they don't.
                        I blame Microsoft: It's just easier that way.
                        Merry Chistmass, everyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by aebbeka
                          Is anyone having PBEM problems? I tried playing a turn with the new patch and got this error, right before crashing to the desktop. What's it talking about? I haven't modded a single thing.
                          Unfortunately, all games protected by admin passwords will have this problem. If you can find a way to clear the admin password before upgrading, you will be able to continue your games under 1.52. You might have to edit the save manually to do that, however.

Comment

• Well, I have just started a new game with no unofficial patches or mods. I have set mem_saver = 1 and use "managed textures."

The game starts up fine, but CtD after the first turn.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by alexman

Unfortunately, all games protected by admin passwords will have this problem. If you can find a way to clear the admin password before upgrading, you will be able to continue your games under 1.52. You might have to edit the save manually to do that, however.
                              ah, the first great tip regarding this. thanks alex!!!
                              that explains why all of my own PBEMs are broke and not many others.

anyhow, how to manually edit it out?

and will it work like this:
                              1) install 1.09 game version
                              2) load all PBEMs singly
                              3) SHIFT-ALT-D and delete admin password
                              4) save it from within the game (not the end-of-turn save)
                              5) repeat from 2-4 until all are done
                              6) upgrade to 1.52
                              7) load all these up again
                              8) set the admin password another time
                              9) repeat 7-8
                              10) play

?

thanks again
                              - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                              - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• On a positive note the Civlopedia seems to cross-linked now. That was something I can't see why they skipped. This game is complicated enough without making me wade through the entire 'pedia to find something.

Tom P.

Oh, and Merry Christmas (I got Quake 4, how cool is that!)

Comment

Working...
                                X