Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Firaxians are so drammatically scared by mountains ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Firaxians are so drammatically scared by mountains ?

I am using this great forum to decide when the moment to buy civ IV will come and reading here and there I was literally astonished knowing how much Firaxians are scared by mountains....

I live in a country full of mountains and I can assure we have both tunnels and road that cross them even at 3500 mt ,infact I 'am used to run on them on summer with my motorbike and during winter I go on tunnels below them,they do exists,I am not a liar !! I swear it !

If necessary I can post a screenshots that witness the existence of tunnels,and I won't perform any kind of Photoshop cure.

In addition when I am on mountains top I can easily spot several beatutiful helicopters , planes , parachutes men ,etc etc..even above 4000 mt..

So , why , if I understood right , in Civ IV there is no chance to build road,tunnels over mountains and also helicopters can't fly over them ?

Gunter

Because, for the first time in Civ, mountains are what they should be: A natural barrier.
    "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
    "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
    Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Bill3000
      Because, for the first time in Civ, mountains are what they should be: A natural barrier.
      I repeat , I have seen them ,I swear it , helicopters travelling trough high mountains, I didn't talk about UFOs but helicopters.

Gunter

Comment

Try taking a whole army across those mountains, and it becomes harder(but perhaps not impossible).
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

You can travel over hills. You can build roads over hills. Your home, as modelled in Civ4, would be considered hills. Mountains are things similar to Mount Everest - you can't reliably get companies of troops over it at will.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Helicopters ?

Tunnels ?

Mountain roads used by skiers' vehicles till 3500 mt every winter seasons ??

Gunter

Comment

its a game feature. check out the world map and consider the way they've done those. maybe they should have loosened it up a little so that helicopters and infantry could cross mountains (and elephants....) but thats for them to decide and you to mod.
              Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

I've yet to see an Apache helicopter battle the winds of the Mt.Everest peak and win, crossing it... or a tunnel beneath it

Consider this: there are A LOT few montains on every map than in civ3... so think about those tiles like very very very very (etc. etc. etc.) high montains unreachable and unusable.
                HTTP Error 404 - File or Directory not found
                Internet Information Services (IIS)

Comment

The manual calls them peaks, not mountains. Consider the hills to be a workable "mountain" and peaks to be inhospitable terrain.

There are few to none on maps compared to prior versions of the game, so it's not a bad thing for me.

Comment

There should be units like alpine troops (ah the good ol days of civ2) able to cross this terrain.

Comment

I do agree that Alpine Troops would be awesome, and perfectly fitting.
                      "Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
                      "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
                      Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                        Try taking a whole army across those mountains, and it becomes harder(but perhaps not impossible).
                        See Hannibal (not the one from the A-Team), an army, some war elephants and the year 218 BC for details.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                          You can travel over hills. You can build roads over hills. Your home, as modelled in Civ4, would be considered hills. Mountains are things similar to Mount Everest - you can't reliably get companies of troops over it at will.
                          But once every few centuries or so, someone does successfully transport a whole army over mountains.

Hannibal -- as I'm sure others have already mentioned before in another thread.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH

See Hannibal (not the one from the A-Team), an army, some war elephants and the year 218 BC for details.
                            Take a look at his losses and the challenges he met.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Losses and terrain design

One thing I've not liked about Civ design has bee the binary "impossible"/"possible rules."

I don't see any reason why mountains should be more impassable that desert terrain for the majority of units. How does it make sense that I could park a large army in the middle of the Sahara without a supply line and they can remain there for 100's of years?

To me, it would make more sense if Deserts, Mountains, perhaps even Jungle terrain caused a small amount of damage to units each turn. Then you could have an "Alpine" promotion to offset it.

Comment

Working...
                              X