No announcement yet.

Civ 4 Music :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I would like to join this argument especially since I dispise Nietzsche with a passion (he did die insane and alone, which I think is very related to his ideas) I won't.

I'll just ask how do I get the opening music to my playlist..what is it called in the files? I love that song. Also did anyone else notice that the lights that come up (which I assume are to represent the spread of civilization) don't ever go over to America? Rather odd especially given that Fraxis is an american company...
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by Shaka II
      Probably just ahead of his time a few hundred years. In Europe, he's not that far off. Not everyone is as smart as Nietzche.
      I'm not sure about that. Since the 17th century the influence of religion has been declining slowly, but it seems to me that in recent years it's on the rise again. The USA now is certainly a lot more religious than it was during its founding. The Founding Fathers were all atheists.

In Europe, I think christianity is still in the retreat. But thanks to massive immigration we have new religions ready to replace it.

So the current trend doesn't look good. Hopefully that will change again in the future. I think it will, but it's impossible to be sure.

Originally posted by dacole
      As much as I would like to join this argument especially since I dispise Nietzsche with a passion (he did die insane and alone, which I think is very related to his ideas) I won't.
      But you just did.

Comment

padillah:

hehe, fair enough. i was just trying to clarify, if only for the sake of other readers who might not know much about china either.

although i would argue that historians CAN make valid assessments as to the relative influence (qualitative, not quantitative) of belief systems within certain timeframes and geographical regions.
        Last edited by tai4ji2x; December 23, 2005, 04:52.

Comment

Originally posted by tai4ji2x
          padillah:

hehe, fair enough. i was just trying to clarify, if only for the sake of other readers who might not know much about china either.
          Well, far be it from me to let knowledge spoil a really good argument.

although i would argue that historians CAN make valid assessments as to the relative influence (qualitative, not quantitative) of belief systems within certain timeframes and geographical regions.
          To a greater or lesser degree. And even then only in as much as that religion is displayed or defended prominently enough to be noticed. I have friends that are "non-praticing, non-believing Catholics" does that make them Christian? They ARE Catholic. But they admit they DON'T believe in it.

There's just no way to tell.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumPion
            dvorak = teh win
            I think I speak for most of us when I say...

WHAT?

Tom P.

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Diadem

I'm not sure about that. Since the 17th century the influence of religion has been declining slowly, but it seems to me that in recent years it's on the rise again. The USA now is certainly a lot more religious than it was during its founding. The Founding Fathers were all atheists.

Actually they were all deiests they believed in a clockwork god that made the universie then let it alone. The closest to Atheism was Jefferson, the most effective in making it an industrial power, Alexandar Hamilton was ALMOST a fundamentalist. None were nearly as fundamentalist as the current born agains would have you believe. The seperation of church and state was however more to protect the church from being corrupted by the state than to protect the state from religion. There is a BIG difference between freedom of religon and freedom from religon one we thankfully have in the US the other we thankfully do not.

Comment

Originally posted by padillah

To a greater or lesser degree. And even then only in as much as that religion is displayed or defended prominently enough to be noticed. I have friends that are "non-praticing, non-believing Catholics" does that make them Christian? They ARE Catholic. But they admit they DON'T believe in it.

There's just no way to tell.

Tom P.
                I would say they are not unlike Judaism catholicism is not a race as well as a religon. "non-practicing non-believing catholics are not catholics.

Comment

Originally posted by dacole

I would say they are not unlike Judaism catholicism is not a race as well as a religon. "non-practicing non-believing catholics are not catholics.
                  I'm with you. I think it's funny when people try to say that Jesus Christ was Jewish because he was born to Jewish parents.

He's Judean, but he's NOT Jewish. There's a definate difference between a race and a religion.

Tom P.

Comment

well...

The argument there and one which I actually think may be accurate is that he wasn't really trying to found a new religon but reform judaism. Moot in the modern world though where they are different religons.

To get this back on somewhat the topic of Civ IV..looks like from the research I've done that you only got the CD if you bought the pre-order out of curiosity are they going to sell the CD seperatly? As well..what is the title given to the mp3 of the opening song...?

Comment

I don't meant o be smart-alec but I think it's "OpeningSong.mp3". Seriously.

Ah, I just looked and it's called "OpeningMenu.mp3" in the "Assets\Sounds\Soundtrack" directory.

Comercially it's called "Baba Yetu" and I forgot the composers name. It's back in the begining of this thread though.

Tom P.

Comment

Originally posted by Diadem
                        They were mostly deists or at the most Unitarians, but one could only guess in the modern era, post Darwin, what they would believe. In any case, the deists were not Christian.

In Europe, I think christianity is still in the retreat. But thanks to massive immigration we have new religions ready to replace it.

So the current trend doesn't look good. Hopefully that will change again in the future. I think it will, but it's impossible to be sure.
                        We are behind the progress of Europe, but the tide toward secularism in the U.S. has begun to flow once again as it did during the Enlightenment, though it may not seem that way.

Comment

thats the word I was looking for!

Yes most except hamilton who was pretty religously conservative were diests not sure if that makes them christian or not..they certinly didn't believe in some of the things that fundamentalists today believe but even Franklin believed there was something.

Anyway wondering what they would believe and how they would act today is pretty ridiculous..we follow the laws they laid down not what they would do, I mean though they were not fundamentalist christains I'm sure they would never have given women the right to vote, set up the EPA or many of the other GOOD things there laws have allowed.

Thanks for telling me the song file had looked for it but couldn't find it. Now to put it in my song list...

Comment

I'm glad that that opening number is an actual song. They could have done something sleazy like hiring Adiemus to sing one of their numbers made up of strings of non-sense syllables.

Is there a list of all the pieces used for background music in Civ 4?
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

That's not qute true. Franklin, Payne and Jefferson were definitely deists, but most of the others were not. Washington remained an Anglican during the revolution and afterwards helped to found the Episcopal church. Patrick Henry attempted to found a state religion in Virginia after the revolution. The church pews in which John Adams, Sam Adams, Isaac Putnam and John Hancock sat in are still preserved in Boston. Those are the most prominent "Founding Fathers" that I know for certain what their beliefs were. I wonder if anyone ever tried to sort out the Continental Congress according to religious beliefs?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove

That's not qute true. Franklin, Payne and Jefferson were definitely deists, but most of the others were not. Washington remained an Anglican during the revolution and afterwards helped to found the Episcopal church. Patrick Henry attempted to found a state religion in Virginia after the revolution. The church pews in which John Adams, Sam Adams, Isaac Putnam and John Hancock sat in are still preserved in Boston. Those are the most prominent "Founding Fathers" that I know for certain what their beliefs were. I wonder if anyone ever tried to sort out the Continental Congress according to religious beliefs?
                                Washington kept his religion well concealed and foiled most attempts to drag it out of him. But there was in general a difference between the religious denomination that these founders were born into or practiced early on, and that which they practiced later in life. Also, their true religious leanings were in general not disclosed in public, because deism was frowned upon, considered a religion for infidels. But in their private letters amongst themselves, their religious views were often expressed (but not Washington, though it appears that he also was a deist, from an interview with his Episcopal church reverend). Also, there wasn't really a church for deists, they were an offshoot of the Unitarians, so usually attended church there as Jefferson did.

Wikipedia has them listed as:

· George Washington – Deist; Episcopalian (VA)
                                · John Adams – Unitarian (MA)
                                · Thomas Jefferson – Deist; Episcopalian (VA)
                                · James Madison – Deist; Episcopalian (VA)
                                · James Monroe – Deist; Episcopalian (VA)
                                · John Quincy Adams – Unitarian (MA) [5]

The religious views of George Washington are a matter of some controversy. There is strong evidence that he (like a number of the other Founding Fathers) was a deist—believing in Divine Providence, but not believing in divine intervention in the world after the initial design. Before the revolution, when the Church of England was still the state religion in Virginia, he served as a member of the vestry (council) for his local congregation. He spoke often of the value of religion in general, and he sometimes accompanied his wife Martha Washington to Christian church services. However, there is no record of his ever becoming a communicant in any Christian church and he would regularly leave services before communion—with the other non-communicants. When Rev. Dr. James Abercrombie, rector of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Philadelphia mentioned in a weekly sermon that those in elevated stations set an unhappy example by leaving at communion, Washington ceased attending at all on communion Sundays. Long after Washington died, asked about Washington's beliefs, Abercrombie replied: "Sir, Washington was a Deist." An unfinished book of copied prayers attributed to him (as a youth) by a collector was rejected by the Smithsonian Institution for lack of authenticity.[1] Various prayers said to have been composed by him in his later life are highly edited. He did not ask for any clergy on his deathbed, though one was available. His funeral services were those of the Freemasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X