No announcement yet.

Moving Cannon from Steel to Gunpowder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trebuchet idea is great, but I would attach it to machinery rather than engineering.

That was also my initial idea, but Engineering is better for game balance. Machinery is already a hugely critical tech - Crossbowmen, required for Macemen, gives Windmills and Watermills. Piling Trebuchets on top of that would give too much for one technology.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Don't forget that Machinery is also required at Civil Service for the Macemen.

Cavalry/Cannon - give it a shot, see how it actually plays. Theory is one thing; play is another.
      Friedrich Psitalon
      Admin, Civ4Players Ladder
      Consultant, Firaxis Games

Comment

You could also give an auto-promotion via modding with a certain tech - which may be a cleaner solution than simply switching units when a new tech comes along.

Pardon my interruption... I can't wait to see what kind of mods people come up with.

Comment

Trip, can that be done? A promotion that gets applied to all units of some type, including existing ones, when a tech is discovered?

Comment

Sure.

- Check tech when researched through onTechAcquired() ->

- (Bit of a hack but we won't concern ourselves with that for modding purposes)
            If the tech researched is a 'special one' ->

- Loop through all player's units and use setHasPromotion()

- onUnitCreated() - applySetHasPromotion()

Voila.

Comment

Damn, you really have to respect Python!

Comment

Given how creative, technically-talented and addicted Civ fans tend to be matched with the modding power provided, Civ 4 will probably be the best-modded game in history.

Comment

Working...
                X