New Gamespot Hands-On Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Gamespot Hands-On Preview

3 newgameplay videos and lots of new screens including what looks to be the entire research/tech tree.

It's one of the most anticipated games of the year, and we played the heck out of it.

cool stuff... thanks for the link!

One thing i was wondering about regarding techs. It was said that you can research anything as long as it has a connection to a previous tech. Also, if one tech has 2 connections, you only need one of the previous ones, right?

It has also been said that there are no 'ages' per say - its one long tech tree.

So my question then is, how does that work with techs that have no preceding techs - like FLIGHT?

I'm sure there is something that prevents me from researching flight in the stoneage, but how does it work?

Comment

What is it with this sudden rush of Settlers bringing news?

Not that I'm complaining...
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The idea is that you can go right to flight in maybe 10 techs, but the problem is how costly it would be to research those techs without the income of a modern economy, then researching then building a bomber would take like 900 turns (ok so that's a bit much).
        GC Magazine|Gamecatcher

Comment

I read the article and it seems that the writer is a tad bit too excited about automation of workers. Of all the Civ titles, I never automated my workers; one of the reasons, is because I don't want the workers to build roads and railroads in ridiculous routes that make no practical sense.

And what if I prefer a specific type of improvement on a certain tile, even if an automated worker wants to replace it with what is suppose to be the best improvement for that tile?

I have always micromanaged workers, and by the late game, I do get the feeling of tediousness and weariness but I have taken it as a necessary inconvenience, given the flaws of automated workers.

Maybe with Civ IV I will try automating my workers for the first time, to see how it works. They may be more "intelligently" automated than in previous Civ titles.
          Last edited by MrFun; September 20, 2005, 23:40.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The reviewer does sound like he does not know that the workers could be automated since civ II
            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Okay, Leonard Nimoy.... AWESOME.

(for those of you who didn't read the hands on, Mr. Nimoy does a voice over for each Technology)

Comment

Originally posted by MxM
                The reviewer does sound like he does not know that the workers could be automated since civ II
                And I have heard from others about the flaws of automated workers -- which is why I never desired to try it myself.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                  And I have heard from others about the flaws of automated workers -- which is why I never desired to try it myself.
                  But you do know that you could automate them in the past civ games, right? The reviewer, however, sounds like "Oh! behold! Worker automation! first time I see it! and WAW!!! autoexplore! That is hugely new!!!"
                  The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                  certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                  -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MattPilot
                    cool stuff... thanks for the link!

One thing i was wondering about regarding techs. It was said that you can research anything as long as it has a connection to a previous tech. Also, if one tech has 2 connections, you only need one of the previous ones, right?

It has also been said that there are no 'ages' per say - its one long tech tree.

So my question then is, how does that work with techs that have no preceding techs - like FLIGHT?

I'm sure there is something that prevents me from researching flight in the stoneage, but how does it work?
                    There may be no ages per say, but if they were ages, then there will be 5 ages. Age 1 has 20 dis. Age 2 has 19, Age 3 has 17, Age 4 has 19, and Age 5 has 16 if you count furture dis.

Comment

It looks very nice. I also like the way the interface has been progressing. Though I am curious to see that "Broadway musical" resource .

I am, though JUMPING FOR JOY, over what Verenti noticed:

because every time you research a new technology, the grandfatherly voice of Leonard Nimoy (Mr. Spock himself!) kicks in with an appropriate quote from history

That was one of my favorite additions to SMAC and I'm tickled pink to know that it'll be in CivIV! That's absolutely great
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah, wow, Nimoy eh? He must play Civ then.
                        be free

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          .... Though I am curious to see that "Broadway musical" resource .
                          Obviously a city-built (great wonder?) resource.

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                            What is it with this sudden rush of Settlers bringing news?
                            you're getting old....
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

User-friendly is the term for this chapter of Civ, and the game will immediately highlight attractive tiles to establish cities, taking into account nearby resources, terrain features, and proximity to other cities or civilizations.

Interesting....
                              There are even esoteric resources, such as Broadway musicals and hit movies, which can make your people happy or that you can trade with other nations.

Go to war to aquire Star Wars franchise?
                              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X