X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    I disagree that it is a problem
    The problem is new members here expect that the upteen thousand registered members of Apolyton care about their pet theory and their opinion.

I don't think it's very wise if a person ignores the opinion of anyone who is a newcomer. I'd say it's quite natural for a person to come to the forums and post because they think they've got an interesting point - isn't that how most of us started out?
    Without wanting to deprive anyone of his right to post, I personally think it is a bit silly to show up as newcomer on a site, primarily dedicated to TBS gaming, and to start a thread, which basically says "Hey, your new game will be mediocre at best". Admittedly with some nicer expressions, but true in sense. If he doesn't like that new game, why the hell would he show up and post this, instead of taking his time to fora with games he actually enjoys?

I am by god not against criticism - most here know this due to my outrage after the C3C failure - but if I don't like a game a priori, I don't haunt it's forum with silly threads.

Sorry, ozmono, you may have not meant it this way, but that is how I perceived it.

Comment

Then show me a useful idea that was posted within a newcomer's first 10 posts. Because I haven't seen one.

I would be delighted if every thread had a useful idea within 10 first posts. Most threads are not ideas but rather opinions (this one included), and there's quite a number of people here who are not newcomers who make 1 insightful or useful post for 20 spammy posts.

Without wanting to deprive anyone of his right to post, I personally think it is a bit silly to show up as newcomer on a site, primarily dedicated to TBS gaming, and to start a thread, which basically says "Hey, your new game will be mediocre at best". Admittedly with some nicer expressions, but true in sense. If he doesn't like that new game, why the hell would he show up and post this, instead of taking his time to fora with games he actually enjoys?

Good in theory, but I'm indeed wondering if you read a different post than I did? With my understanding, the original post states pretty obviously that the poster likes Civ, likes some of the improvements of Civ4, and isn't saying that he doesn't like the game. I agree that it's often useless when people show up on a forum for a game they hate, but this is simply not the case.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
        See, I'm protecting the fresh meat from the grinder of people like SirRalph, and you want to see them chewed up and spit out after being harassed in the first thread they every start.
        IMHO, ozmono1914 seems prepared to defend himself. A little more than necessary, I think. Sometimes, people can’t take some jokes. Nothing wrong with that.
        However, that kind of “reception ceremony” is a bad habit, but stills present in the daily life here at Poly. That’s why I rarely post in the OT forum. No hard feelings (I never posted to much), but it’s beyond my abilities. It’s just too difficult being ignored all the time. And it’s very difficult being noticed too! Add my poor English, and you can imagine the scenario.
        It’s sad… But it’s also funny. Besides, the survivors became proud of this

Who are you saying it is unfair to?
        It’s unfair denying full access to this forum to any registered members. In fact, is against the rules, too.

The fresh meat or yourself because you won't be able to harass the new guy?
        Well, I won't be able to do it, even if I want to… I don’t have the necessary skills.

As a side note, I’m really touched and honored. I’ve never been harassed in such a way before, even in the OT forum, and I was wondering if it was my fault… Now, I’m a real Apolytoner!

Who cares if it isn't democratic, this site, as MarkG and Ming are so fond of saying isn't democratic.
        You’re right, Apolyton it’s nor supposed to be democratic. But it is supposed to be a civilized place, for everyone. So, we do expect a civilized behavior from our mates… Well, maybe I’m just an optimistic guy…
        RIAA sucks
        The Optimistas
        I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

This thread has become a pretty fun and entertaining one, although not very constructive... But OTOH, such a massive repsonse must be every newbee's dream... Actually, it'd be my dream too, I seldom get much responses in my threads.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

hate to be to blunt

if you are not convinced by end of Sept DO NOT BUY IT

then come back and post once you bought it
            anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
                  This thread has become a pretty fun and entertaining one, although not very constructive... But OTOH, such a massive repsonse must be every newbee's dream... Actually, it'd be my dream too, I seldom get much responses in my threads.
                  I've never got such response either, and I've registered on many forums around the net, and I only register to when I need to post an idea/complaint/younameit... but still I've never managed to get such a response for my first few posts
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Hey Ozmo, welcome to Poly from a fellow Aussie.

I think everyone needs to take a step back and consider something that I've seen happen to a number of new Aussie members. That something is: how Aussies relate to things.

1. Aussies are renowned "bull****ters".
                    2. We're also renowed for our sarcasim.
                    3. We're also renowed for mateship being the highest form of friendship we can bestow on someone (in fact, one of the highest Australian awards is "Mate of the Nation").

Putting these two together I'm sure people from other nations can see that the way Australian's work is if they like someone/thing then we "hang **** on it". Basically, if you can take the time to come up with a witty sarcastic remark, then you respect that person/thing.

EG:
                    1. At the same time as being strong friends with America, we can laugh at them and call them Sepos and ridicule their "way".
                    2. England is our homeland, and also very dear to many Australian's in their hearts. But that doesn't stop us from hanging it on them in sport, politics and other arenas.
                    3. Americans I know and have worked with have been amazed that two Aussie's can almost beat the piss out of each other in insults and then go to the pub and get spastic on friday night after work and be best of friends.

It's how we work. So now you know this, consider the OP. He's made it a bit simpler for everyone by actually containing his like for Civ in the post. But basically he takes the piss out of Civ, and then compliments it.

If oldies remember just this little bit of info on Aussies, then hopefully our newbies won't be taken so much out of context.

On topic:
                    I'm staying a bit more optomistic about Civ4.

1. Lessening MM isn't simplifying, but streamlining.
                    2. With 1/3 old, 1/3 improved, 1/3 new, then of course Firaxis isn't going to rant about the fact the game has settlers that can found new cities. They're only going to concentrate on the 1/3 NEW!
                    3. With the silent beta-testers from the fan base, and the years of preparation that Soren and the team have had, I'm looking forward to a very clean, smooth game. Sure, the odd bug may get through, but geeze, Windows XP on release day had 64,000 documented bugs!

Anyways, that's what I've got to say.

Dale

Comment

Why do people like the OP feel it is our responsibility to convince them to be excited about Civ4?

I like Platypus's suggestion

I skimmed most of the thread... sorry if I repeat anything:

civ's not about graphics... go play with 3dmax if you want to look at nice graphics

I forget what MM is? Mmmmmm MMmmmmm nope can't think of anything...

mandy moore?
                      massive mountains?
                      multiplayer movement?
                      help me out here guys!

marijuana affects my memory

MM = marijuana memory?

ozmo... if you don't like Civ4.. create an online petition to have god smite firaxis...

here I'll do it for you

God, please smite Firaxis

Personally, I like what I see so far about Civ4. All we can do is have faith in Firaxis.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Ozmono - if you're concerned about blowing the cost of a night out on a game you are unsure of, then wait and read what people at places like Poly and C*C think of it.

Dale - us 'Poms' know all about your Aussie sledging, and it seems that one or two of your outfielders have been getting some back. Enjoy The Oval

Comment

@Sava

MM = Micro Management
                          RIAA sucks
                          The Optimistas

Comment

You all shouldn't be ashamed to have insulted this Ozmono newbie. He was boring, agressive, and he could not spell a sentence correctly. You should not apologize. PC is never the solution, newcomer or not.

I mean it.

PS: halas now he has gone. What a pity...
                            M. le Comte

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                              Ozmono - if you're concerned about blowing the cost of a night out on a game you are unsure of, then wait and read what people at places like Poly and C*C think of it.

Dale - us 'Poms' know all about your Aussie sledging, and it seems that one or two of your outfielders have been getting some back. Enjoy The Oval
                              Ah that's alright mate. The MCG has to save money for the Commonwealth Games next year. The money we'll save on not having security around the ashes for the next four years should just about cover it.

Besides, we're feeling sorry for you mob. You haven't had it since 1989.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by Dale
                                1987 mate, you see you've underestimated how hungry we are.

Horsie has set up an Oval thread on the OT forum. I expect we'll be hearing from you blokes on there if you do well, and silence otherwise

Comment

Working...
                                X