Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solver, you're right that we aren't warm enough with new members in general, but in this particular case, it would have been very difficult to be nice
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I want to make two points aswell

1. Sorry for replying in the same manner I was recieved

2. I'm not going to take out my anger on Apolyton because of one member

Thank you Moderator for responding so quickly you have given me confidence that this forum is well maintained

I'm even ignoring that last comment.

PS I'm not new to this site I've kept an eye on it for awhile and just haven't posted but you'll be pleased to know that will probably be the way I act in the future
      I do think that in order for good conversations to take place you need to welcome differing opinions but hey, not all children are eager to please there mummies daddies and teachers so I guess I either accept insults like those above or don't post
      Last edited by ozmono1914; September 7, 2005, 09:56.
      Strategy Games For Strategy Gamers!

Comment

Sorry to say so ozmo, but while graphics are not among the most important aspects of a game, it's a good thing when it's better. As I said some days ago, a good game with poor graphics(good game as in good gameplay mainly) won't go as far as a good game with good graphics. I loved Civ1 and Civ2, and still does from time to time, but I'd never want to pay normal price for a game that looks like it's 10 years old. And while some would, the majority that Firaxis, and we, need to keep the franchise alive, won't buy it. Therefore it's totally neccessary to get the game to look good.

As for the interface, there's always room for improvement. And in Civ's case, it's lots of room too.

Aside from this, that Civ4 has more features, better handling of it's predecessor's features etc., is very important. I don't want to pay for the same game I payed for last time. And less MM, more features, better interface and so on is good. Something you and some others need to understand, is that simplifying does not neccessarily mean dumbing down the game, it can mean making the game better and more fun and attactive to new players. New players we need if we are to get more Civ games and continuing support of the game.

And when we're talking of support, it's mighty impressive and positive if the new modding capabilities gives us half the power it promises. It will probably give the game a much longer life and us much more fun out of it for years to come. Just as Civ2 did.

Last, but not least, please don't go away just because some people attack you now, I can assure you that there is lots of good and nice people around here(several of them also over at CivFanatics, but this is the best site by far), both in this forum, but also in the other forums. The OT is a place many great posters reside, and the Other games forum is also worth a visit. You'd be welcome to join one or more of our forum games over there. And lastly, there is many other games covered here, take a look for yourself, I promise you won't regret.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Solver, you're right that we aren't warm enough with new members in general, but in this particular case, it would have been very difficult to be nice

Had he said that Civ4 will suck in l33t speak without giving any justification, I would agree. However, the original post does not say that and, in fact, does not even say Civ4 will be bad. Besides, I'd say that the golden rule especially regarding new posters is that f you can't be nice, be silent.

Ozmo, as for your actual complaint... I don't think you or anyone else can make an informed statement now. To see whether Civ4 is a dramatic change from previous games, one has to play it. e know of some new concepts, we know what Firaxis have been working on, we even know how some of those new concepts work, but without playing the game it's impossible to say what the result is. It's possible to make a game very different with a few new concepts and changes, and it's possible to add lots of stuff, but essentially have only a slight improvement over the previous game.

I am optimistic about Civ4. Why? Because I trust Firaxis as a whole, I trust Soren as a designer and a programmer, and I trust the beta test group, whoever they are.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Beutiful, I've been waiting to discuss what I intended to discuss. As I said I'm not going(worst scenerio is I just don't post I like this site)

Alright I agreeWith/understand the majority of what you mentioned and especially about the simplifying not NECCESSARILY meaning dumbing down. Chess is a good example, its definetely not a game for those not willing to think!

But as Adagio said its a matter of personal preference. I want substance over seduction. I agree the game looks great and as I said I'll be buying it but I think if there were more games of such a nature I wouldn't. EG I don't play many sports games but play the occassional one so when I want a soccer game I get Pro Evolution even though Fifa is probably more established.

Comment

Sorry by that, ozmono.

Sir Ralph, back to your cage right NOW!

Btw, I'm J/k...
              RIAA sucks
              The Optimistas
              I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by ozmono1914
                I do think that in order for good conversations to take place you need to welcome differing opinions but hey, not all children are eager to please there mummies daddies and teachers so I guess I either accept insults like those above or don't post
                You probably did not understand, that you are the one hurling insults here, not me.

And I am sorry, if I overestimated your comprehension, but you probably missed the point, that my second and fourth posts were indeed computer-generated, I gave you even a link to the site in my third post.

My first post was just an expression of boredom, because every few weeks somebody comes here and makes complaints on a game, that he does not even know yet, based on sparse informations and vague guesses at best. It is a waste of time to judge about this game, yet. Wait till it comes out and write your review on the whole thing. My computer-generated second post was actually a joke, this site generates random rants on any subject, you just have to enter a name. I am sorry, but you are probably the only person here, who did not "get" that.

You called me a fool, an idiot and other names. Do not expect me to treat you with any respect in the future, unless you apologize.

Comment

Solver I just read your comment and your right I'm just assuming that it will be a dramitic change based upon

the dramitic combat changes(if they do what they said)
                  the Religion factors
                  Civics changes
                  Culture changes
                  and Diplomacy changes

But don't get me wrong I used to many smiles and I exagratted my true feelings the truth is I'm on this site discussing this now because I enjoy the Civ games but I am dissapointed that the main focuss(at the very least press focuss) is regarding graphics and interface

Comment

Who allowed you to leave your place under the table, Aro?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph

You probably did not understand, that you are the one hurling insults here, not me.
                      I don't want to bicker but I won't apologize for getting defensive when being the center of jokes or being ignored

PS that particular insult(if it is interpreted that way was in retalation to the person insulting me followed by the

Comment

There is a difference between getting defensive and getting offensive, though. But as you wish, don't apologize then. Shrug. Suum cuique.

Comment

Okay now we've been properly introduced I just want to say I was in the wrong as much as anyone and I'm happy to forget it.

Actually I'm suprised to see the amount of positive responses that came once the situation calmed down abit and I must say those responses alone proved the quality of this forum

As far as the apology goes I'll do the next best thing, I'll say that the comments I made about you were rash, harse and premature and I was acting imaturely myself

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                            Who allowed you to leave your place under the table, Aro?

Well, according my doctor, if I take my medications, I'm allowed to walk around a bit...

As a side note, Sir Ralph... I was just kidding...

RIAA sucks
                            The Optimistas
                            I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro
                              As a side note, Sir Ralph... I was just kidding...

You should have written that in your post then.

Instead you wrote, that you are J/k. Which means John Kennedy and is a goddamn lie. For what kind of fool do you take me, knave?

Comment

After reading the OP, I have no idea about what ozmono1914 wants to be convinced.

That Civ 4 will be an improvement over Civ 3? I certainly hope so. That Civ 4 is special? Hmm, special is a rather subjective sentiment. Besides, as Sir Ralph pointed out, it's rather hard to make any sort of judgement at this point, seeing that there's nothing substantial out there.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X