• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Utility] Atlas Map Generator

Welcome to the Atlas Project!
    Current Version: 0.43 (1 Feb '06)
    Original thread on CFC forums
    The Homepage of the Atlas Project

Atlas is a Java program written by me that is intended as a Map Generator for Civ 4. It will generate maps that are bigger, more varied, more realistic and more customizable than those from the standard map generator, giving the user control over every single parameter, and (optionally) providing a preview of the map as well.

For now, it mostly serves the map creators as an easy tool to generate blank or halfbuilt maps of any size. Eventually it will generate maps that are ready to play.

Latest changes - version 0.43 - released 01/02/06
    - Finally! The long anticipated RIVERS are in! W00t!
    - Atlas now includes my other two utilities: DefaultPlayers Tweaker and Gamespeed Tuner
    - Greatly improved continent shapes. No more blobs!
    - The Atlas Project now comes in a handy installer package! I hope it works for everyone, if not, please let me know.
    - Added random seed option
    - Added flood plains
    - Changed coastline setting 'Chaotic' to be different from 'Irregular'
    - Changed coastline setting 'Irregular' to have less off-coast isles
    - Fixed a bug that caused an endless loop in river generation
    - Fixed a bug that prevented rivers from beginning in anything but grassland

9 step installation manual:

Quick Manual:

1)Download the zip at the bottom of this post and extract it
    2)Double click on Setup_Atlas043.exe and follow the instructions
    3)Start the program by going to Start->Programs->Atlas v0.43
    4)Mess with the controls until you have generated a map you like
    5)Press save
    6)Copy the file Atlas.Civ4WorldBuilderSave from C:\Program Files\Map Generator to C:\My Documents\My Games\Civ IV\Saves\WorldBuilder. You can rename the 'Atlas' part of the file too, if you like.
    7)Start Civilization 4
    8)Click Single player, Play Scenario, choose 'Atlas' or whatever name you gave the file
    9)The rest should be obvious

Limitations, troubleshooting and future additions:
    - Note that you need Java Runtime Environment 1.5 to run this program. This can be downloaded for free here
    -Warning! The fact that Atlas allows you to generate maps of up to 400x400, does not mean that you or anyone else will be able to play on such gigantic maps!!
    - Functions that are not yet implemented are greyed out
    - If you get an error, you can't get the program to run, or if you think my English is crap : Please let me know!

Finally, some screenshots...
    See the website for more screenshots

I hope you like my little application. Please let me know what you think of it, and please check back soon for updates!

See ya,

Junuxx

Downloads of previous versions Total: 9243
    Click here to download
    Last edited by Junuxx; February 1, 2006, 13:15.

Check out my Atlas Map Generator

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

-reserved-

Generate, preview and play Civ IV maps of any size with the alternative Map Generator

Comment

Wow, great work! this is really a fantastic program. I like it a lot.

The only things I can think of that it really needs are rivers and effective mountain ranges. Continents that are less round and more irregularly shaped would be nice too, but so far it already looks fantastic.

And so fast too.. I'm impressed. Good work!

Comment

Version 0.23 is done!

I've added some presets, different island types and coastal water types, and enabled Y-wrapping and XY-wrapping.

See first post for new download.

An example of the preset 'Micronesia'. A flat world with a gazillion little islands

An example of a XY-wrapped world. This one seems very interesting to me, because both land and sea are infinite

Comment

Junuxx,

I would VERY MUCH like to talk to you about this program.

I am involved in a scientific project with geographical/geological implications. The author with whom I am closely working has developed a completely new prime-mover theory with implications for continent formation and weather systems. What I would like to do is speak with you about incorporating this logic into how your program works such that we could use it to model the theory.

Can you please send me an email?

Christopher.AshATrogers.com
          (change "AT" to @).

Comment

@ WoodenTaco:
            Thank you very much

My to do list is as follows :

v0.3:
            - add Mountains, Hills, Ice and Tundra
            - add Starting Locations
            - add 'Play' button to immediately open this map with Civ 4
            - add Coastal start option

v0.4:
            - add Resources
            - add Rivers and lakes
            - improve coastlines and continent shapes
            - add Save dialog that lets you name the file
            - add Load dialog to edit existent map
            - add Help function

any suggestions are welcome

@1shmae1:
            I am highly interested. I sent you an e-mail

Comment

Nice :-).

Maybe be able to "freeze" parts of the map that you like and randomize the rest.

Some stats how much of everything the map includes.

Maybe add/include the planetshifter:
              If you are making a flat world and you screwed up the positions badly, shift the world in one quick step! Use PlanetShifter! No warrenty, not friendly, comes with C++ code and instructions. I saved myself hours fixing my huge Europe/Mediterranean/Middle East map that had too much wasted...

Comment

I haven't tried it yet since I'm at work, so ignore if this feature already exists, but..

I would suggest having a way to generate and play the map without seeing a preview first! It ruins the exploration phase for me

Comment

Going to add some terrain and starting locs tonight...

@Zuul:
                  You mean like keeping certain continents and discarding some others? Sounds cool indeed, but I fear it could be difficult to implement.
                  Shifting the planet on the other hand would be easy, don't need to include that program for that.
                  thanks for the comment anyway!

@AlexTG
                  Yes, I understand. It is on the to-do-list

Comment

Just a little *bump* because version 0.25 is ready.
                    See the first post for what's new.

One of the new additions is a toggle to turn off the preview, as requested
                    Last edited by Junuxx; November 22, 2005, 23:13.

Comment

Quite a big update, it's version 0.30 now

Comment

I have been thinking of designing a map generator based on principles of Plate Tectonics, Eroshion and Isoplasty (the rising and sinking of crust based on its density). I majored in Geology before switching to Computer Science

With your permishon I would like to get into your Source Code and try to add this. I think the benifits would be enormous. As far as I can tell no map generator has EVER been based on a simulation of plate tectonics, rather random number generators churn out blops of land that get smothed togeter but do not move. The most obvious flaw in ever map I have ever seen is the total lack of Mountain ranges, mountains just apear randomly or worse are clustered in the center of the continents. Even a crude simulation should be able to give a good broken coastline and coastal mountain ranges.
                        Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

@Impaler:

My thoughts exactly. Altough Civ 4's "Highland" maps give rather good mountain ranges, I think.
                          I see an opportunity for cooperation here

By the way, I've sort of completed a website for Atlas, you can find it here

Comment

Junuxx:

I posted a request in your thread appearing in the Civ 4 forum of the other Civ community website requesting either an all land map (such as "Great Plains") or the ability to generate a much larger single continent that will cover a significant portion of the map.

I hope that this might soon be possible.

Comment

Hey Son of Moose!

It's already quite possible to make all-land maps!

I just haven't added any presets which do that. But it's very easy to tweak the settings yourself (continents & continent size) to create an all-land map.
                              See the map and the settings below.

Comment

Working...
                              X