Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help help people think differently than me I find that offensive

Comment

• But it's okay to play a game where you simulate killing and conquering a lot of people ?

Which version of the Bible is it where Jesus says:

'Yea verily, I say unto you- my words are backed with nuclear weapons!' because I can't find it in the King James Authorized Version. But it's okay to play a game where you simulate killing and conquering a lot of people ?

Hmmm ... can see you need to read the full text of the Bible, which as a book is mostly all about killing and conquering a lot of people. For now, read Psalm 149.

As for the nuclear weapons, I don't think Jesus needs them! See Book of Revelation.

Comment

• It CONTAINS killing people, but that's certainly NOT what it is ABOUT. And I can say this as a very unreligious christian.

If you really feel that way... that would be really, really sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDexter
          It CONTAINS killing people, but that's certainly NOT what it is ABOUT. And I can say this as a very unreligious christian.

If you really feel that way... that would be really, really sad.
          He's talking mostly about the Old Testament, which is full of the angry, vengeful God. The New Testament is the one with the happier, more fun God.

Comment

• What science advance do you need for the happier, more fun God? Can we mod it in?
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

• Originally posted by Node
              help help people think differently than me I find that offensive
              Yeah, I've seen a bunch of that mentality in the reactions of people to the OP. Why people are so offended that he would want to change the names of the religions for himself is beyond me. It isn't like he is saying that the game shouldn't have included the religions as they are, or that he is trying to get Firaxis to "patch" the game to change the names. He just came here to get suggestions for new "fantasy" religion names and some pointers on making the mod. And for that a bunch of people seem to have felt the need to bite his head off.

*shrug*
              That it is wrong for a man to say he is certain of the objective truth of a proposition unless he can provide evidence which logically justifies that certainty. This is what agnosticism asserts and in my opinion, is all that is essential to agnosticism. ["Agnosticism and Christianity", 1889, Thomas Huxley]

Gary Denney
              >>>-----The Archer----->

Comment

• Heh, heh, my apologies. I have read the Bible cover to cover in several versions, and I am a devout Christian, though a rather non-religious Christian. I have also read some of the great texts of Judaism, Hinduism, and Buddhism; and The Koran. Not to mention William James, Carl Jung, and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

I was trying to make a point with my crude remark. The idea that any religion is all about nice people doing nice things to make things nicer for everyone is sort of superficial. What religions attempt to accomplish is to forward the stability and growth of civilization. That often requires pulling the sword out of the stone and going to war.

Both the Old and New Testaments contain incredible amounts of violence, bloodshed, and war; and Jesus does make statements in the gospels that would indicate that driving the moneylenders out of the temple with a whip of small cords was not at all out of character.

Comment

• Be sure to add the Pastafarian religion based on the teachings of the Church of the Flying Sphagetti monster.

Comment

• I'm a "serious" born again Christian and I have no problems with the content of this or any other game. I've played Doom 3 and GTA: San Andreasa and several other "morally corrupt" games and have thoroughly enjoyed myself playing them.

I guess for me personally (and not everyone can do this), I have no trouble with seperating fictional, virtual worlds and the true, real life world.

I don't ignore or compromise my beliefs by killing people in GTA and in the same way I don't do that by taking Islam as my state religion in Civ4. In real life I would not consider either and in fact find both quite difficult to comprehend let alone actually do. And that's an understatement really.

However I do understand what you're saying nbarclay and I have no problem with you wanting to protect yourself and your faith in this way after reading all your posts. If you percieve that having other religions in the game will personally cause you (and maybe others like you) problems of one sort or another then go ahead and mod the game.
                    Currently working on:
                    A Song of Ice and Fire Mod for Civ 4!
                    Click me to find out more!

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                      NASCAR isn't a sport, by your own definition!
                      Quite the contrary:

It is governed by a set of rules.

It takes some level of skill to drive around the track.

It takes a HUGE amount of stamina for the fans to stay awake.

Comment

• you revived a 5 1/2 month dead thread???
                        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• I just thought that needing saying. My apologies.

Comment

• Originally posted by nbarclay
                            I got to thinking about religion from the perspective of fictional people living in a fictional world created by human beings, and I may have a viable set of pseudoreligions.

The Firaxian family of religions:

Firaxianism - Worship of all the "High Firaxians" who created the game.

Sidism - Focuses on the worship of Sid, who defined the fundamental nature of the universe.

Sorenism - Credits Soren as the source of all intelligence and as the driving force behind making the world the way it is now.

Web-based Religions:

Apolytonism - Believes that people should live their lives according to the guidance of the Apolytonians.

GOTMism - Believes that every month of a person's life should be lived as if it were a great game.

Other religions:

Playerism - Believes that the human being playing the game at a particular moment is worthy of the highest worship.

Randomism - Belief that fate is guided by the mystical Random Number Generator.
                            As an agnostic leaning heavily towards atheism, I can't really relate to your motivations for doing this, but I do really like the replacement religions you came up with, very clever. Do you mind telling me what techs open up which religions? Sidism, Sorenism, and Playerism all seem like they should be monotheistic religions, so having them replace Judaism, Christianity, and Islam respectively looks like it would make sense. Not sure where you'd put the others, though.

Comment

• Suggestions:

Firaxianism - Polytheism, because it seems to be a pretty basic approach to understanding the universe with multiple deities.

Apolytonism - Code of Laws? Not sure on this one.

GOTMism - Philosophy

Randomism - Meditation? Maybe put this under Code of Laws because that kind of thinking might be needed before people would truly understand randomness...or maybe move it to Philosophy, not sure.

My girlfriend believes we live in a simulation so this is all pretty relevant to my home life, heh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Badtz Maru
                                Suggestions:

Firaxianism - Polytheism, because it seems to be a pretty basic approach to understanding the universe with multiple deities.

Apolytonism - Code of Laws? Not sure on this one.

GOTMism - Philosophy

Randomism - Meditation? Maybe put this under Code of Laws because that kind of thinking might be needed before people would truly understand randomness...or maybe move it to Philosophy, not sure.

My girlfriend believes we live in a simulation so this is all pretty relevant to my home life, heh.
                                Those are details, we already have civliopedi entries ( look at my extensive post) ; I was wondering what about shrines?
                                I'm not buying BtS until Firaxis impliments the "contiguous cultural border negates colony tax" concept.

Comment

Working...
                                X