Replacing Religions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GeoModder
    Is this still going on? How about a PBEM named "Religious Schism"?
    Anyone?
    Well, actually... I was thinking that Nathan's concept - of redefining/renaming religions would be the great basis for a democracy game.

I know Felinism would attract Kloreep, Big Furry Monster, snoopy369, as well as myself.

But if someone wants to start a pbem along these lines, count me in. It would be purrrrrrfect.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• What is it with religion that people get so worked up about it? Pretty much every discussion on the topic goes waaayyy off-topic...

Most of the discussion here belongs in the OT, I'm gonna have to cut it off here. If you want to continue it, do so where it belongs. From now on, please only discuss the original topic of this thread: alternatives for real-world religions. If you don't agree with this topic or the reasons of nbarclay to start this thread, noone's forcing you to read it...
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

• Back on topic, then.

In response to Beta' suggestion of the inclusion of such a heathen religion, I can only say:

Dogs >> Cats.

-LordShiva, High Priest of Caninism
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• Originally posted by LordShiva
          Back on topic, then.

In response to Beta' suggestion of the inclusion of such a heathen religion, I can only say:

Dogs >> Cats.

-LordShiva, High Priest of Caninism
          Bring it on dog breath. And what is your religion about anyway. Complete subservience to humans? Licking your private parts? Doing #2 in public? Remember...

Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
          Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta
            Bring it on dog breath. And what is your religion about anyway. Complete subservience to humans? Licking your private parts? Doing #2 in public?[/SIZE]
            I always find it funny when people claim that cats are smarter than dogs.

Blind Person (a Felinist, maybe): But... I don't WANT to go up in the tree!
            "Smart" "Guide"-cat: (lick) (lick) (lick) Ooh, look, here's another part of my body I don't think I've licked yet.

Don't forget the police department's Attack Cats .. and the drug sniffer cats.. and the Alpine Rescue cats...

(Now, before Locutus bans me) How about a Dogs vs. Cats/Caninism vs. Felinism scenario? Garfield's cool and all, but Pres. Dogbert is undefeatable.
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

• I find your defending of slavery rather repulsive... whatever the form.... ancient or American...

There's no discussion needed, the forced servitude and ownership of another human being is wrong/evil... end of story...
              Hallowed are the ORI!! :unworthy:

Comment

• Its a game about history. Slavery is as old as Humanity, and continues to this day. Leaving it out seems silly to me, it had massive economic effect on ancient empires.
                By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

• Originally posted by ulyanov

In Australia this would translate to

Football
                  Cricket
                  Football
                  Supercar Racing
                  Football
                  Football
                  Football

By football I mean any code....
                  By football you mean AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL. Soccer and Gridiron are girls games.

Comment

• Originally posted by stargatefan
                    I find your defending of slavery rather repulsive... whatever the form.... ancient or American...

There's no discussion needed, the forced servitude and ownership of another human being is wrong/evil... end of story...
                    I see it as just a game. I will quite happily enslave nations, destroy cities, genocide, force religious conversions, throw nukes around like confetti, feed christians to lions, torture, murder and whatever other disgusting things you could think of. I would think nothing of doing these things in a game.

I real life I would not hit another person under any circumstances other than necessary self defense. In a game I might exterminate the population of a continent just for the hell of it.

It is a game. It is not real.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beta
                      Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.
                      Why be "staff" when you can be a "master"? Felinists are weird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                        If there is a god, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't give a rat's ass about anything in a computer game.

Oh, Boris- you jest.

It's eye is on the sparrow, but just happened to have a case of divine glaucoma and conjunctivitis during the Thirty Years' War, the Holocaust, the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia/Kampuchea, the Sudan/Ethiopian/Somalian famine, the conquests of Timur Lenk...

...oh and it designed diseases that only poor people get when they're malnourished, and one big whopper that killed people presumably for the grievous sin of wearing period costume- the Black Death.

So obviously any and all Christians who choose to play a non-Christian civilization not devoted to the worship of a jealous and angry god will be vapourized, or have to spend eternity in Hell giving oral relief to gay atheists.
                        Last edited by molly bloom; October 17, 2005, 08:11.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• You're a bad bad boy, Molyy
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Spiffor
                            You're a bad bad boy, Molyy

If there's a Hell below, that's where I'm gonna go...

to paraphrase the late, great Curtis Mayfield.

In any case, I suspect I'd find the apres 'Day of Judgment' conversation would be more interesting there.
                            Attached Files

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Solver
                              I guess because no one else put their point to such an extreme.

Don't you realize that, while for an atheist his atheism is not the most important thing in life, for religious people religion is one of the most important or the most important thing in their lives? I would also push my point very strongly if we were talking about one of the most important things in my life.
                              The problem is, religions tends to become an important thing to atheists, when they are so important to religious people, they feel mandated to pilot planes into buildings, bomb abortion clinics and generally tell atheists what they can or cannot do because of their religion.

Very few religious people are satisfied with having their religion the most important part of their private lifes, unfortunately - and that is why many atheists resent it.
                              The problem with leadership is inevitably: Who will play God?
                              - Frank Herbert

Comment

• Originally posted by Martinus

Very few religious people are satisfied with having their religion the most important part of their private lifes, unfortunately - and that is why many atheists resent it.

Quite.

I'm more than happy to celebrate the holy days of religions, especially if like Catholicism, Sikhism, Islam, Hinduism and Judaism there's special foods involved.

I'm rather less happy when people then assume that their religion allows them to limit my civil rights in a secular society.

For some, toleration is a one-way street, or a cul de sac.

Comment

Working...
                                X