Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Completely antibiotic resistent bacteria found in US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely antibiotic resistent bacteria found in US.

For the first time, researchers have found a person in the United States carrying bacteria resistant to antibiotics of last resort. CDC chief says this could mean "the end of the road" for antibiotics.

So we now have diseases which are completely resistant to every known antibiotic and they are in the US. It is worth noting that the main cause of antibiotic resistance is the routine use of antibiotics in livestock because they make chickens, pigs, and cattle grow faster and put on more weight. That is not a medical reason, that is just an abuse which big agro corps use to pad their profits and now people are going to die because Tyson Chicken wanted their chickens to grow 8% faster.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Wasn't there already one case in a japanese hospital, several years ago, where someone died from pneumonia (or some other secondary infection) due to it reacting to none of the antibiotics administered?
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Dinner View Post
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ached-the-u-s/

So we now have diseases which are completely resistant to every known antibiotic and they are in the US. It is worth noting that the main cause of antibiotic resistance is the routine use of antibiotics in livestock because they make chickens, pigs, and cattle grow faster and put on more weight. That is not a medical reason, that is just an abuse which big agro corps use to pad their profits and now people are going to die because Tyson Chicken wanted their chickens to grow 8% faster.
      There are several reasons ... among them also, that antibiotic therapies often are stopped too early (so that part of the bacteriae survive and may be transmitted to other people ... among them bacteriae which are immune to the specific antibiotic [with the bacteriae having a chance to transfer their immunity to other bacteriae]),
      but also that antibiotics often are prescribed too early (instead of first looking if the immune reactions of the body are strong enough to fight off the bacteriae for themselves)
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I remember a podcast (Radiolab?) where somebody decided to test out a "moste excellente medicine" recipe from a medieval medical text. It involved boiling wine with various nasty crap, and to their tremendous surprise, it was wonderfully effective against bacteria in a petri dish. The scientist they interviewed speculated that, after a certain amount of time without exposure to an antibiotic, germs lose their resistance. It's hard to stay adapted to fight off absolutely every poison. Perhaps that will prove to be the key to our current conundrum: rotating medicines so the bugs keep getting hit below the belt. Of course, we'd need more medicines that actually worked, first. What happened to those weird ones that they found in the dirt a couple of years back? Held up in trials, I'm guessing?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
          I remember a podcast (Radiolab?) where somebody decided to test out a "moste excellente medicine" recipe from a medieval medical text. It involved boiling wine with various nasty crap, and to their tremendous surprise, it was wonderfully effective against bacteria in a petri dish. The scientist they interviewed speculated that, after a certain amount of time without exposure to an antibiotic, germs lose their resistance. It's hard to stay adapted to fight off absolutely every poison. Perhaps that will prove to be the key to our current conundrum: rotating medicines so the bugs keep getting hit below the belt. Of course, we'd need more medicines that actually worked, first. What happened to those weird ones that they found in the dirt a couple of years back? Held up in trials, I'm guessing?
          Of course...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cells.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	9102245
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
            Wasn't there already one case in a japanese hospital, several years ago, where someone died from pneumonia (or some other secondary infection) due to it reacting to none of the antibiotics administered?
            Yes, it has been arpund for a while but this is the first case in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              I think you are talking about a case in England where doctors had a patient with an eye infection that was antibiotic resistent. They used a 10th century eye balm as a "well, nothing else has worked and we are out of ideas" sort of thing. To their surprise the 10th century cure worked.

Comment

A 1,000-year-old treatment for eye infections could hold the key to killing antibiotic-resistant superbugs, scientists say.

Found it. It seems Bald and his leechbook came through on that one.

Comment

Hopefully none of these old medicines had Mummia as ingredient ...
                  too many old egyptian mummies already have been ground to dust for medical reasons

Comment

It's hard to stay adapted to fight off absolutely every poison.
                    Antibiotic resistance to anything comes at a cost. The only reason bacteria select for it is because of the environment in which it is presented. it is why over prescription is a problem as well as 'antibiotic' household cleaners. Don't use them. Use bleach, etc.
                    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Stopped too early => patient non-compliance
                      Prescribed too early => giving in to patient demands
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

We need something to thin the herd.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                          We need something to thin the herd.

Bovine diet pills?
                          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                            Stopped too early => patient non-compliance
                            Prescribed too early => giving in to patient demands
                            Letting agro corps pump antibiotics into livestock to boost growth rates despite every doctor saying what a bad policy it was = corruption of the highest order. Countries like China allowing them to be sold over the counter without any controls = criminal malfeasance.

Comment

True, but patient behavior is also part of the story.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                              X