Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Service Announcement: Calling people African-American is racist now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know, right!?

I almost fell off my chair
    I guess I have mellowed some.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by NICE MOBIUS View Post
      It's because she didn't say it, Kid!

You're calling ME stupid when you are flat out wrong about Whoopi Goldberg accusing people of being racist and you don't even have the balls to admit you're wrong!

Christ, you even make Ben sound reasonable in this thread!
      You're stupid because you don't understand what people are saying.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

After rereading it, I don't see where she called people that use that term racists. Could you point out where that was in case I just missed it?
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
          Ok. Well, use the term in conversation sometime, and I'd be curious how others respond. I've *never* once had anyone call me a Canadian-American. Ever.

I prefer the term, "snowback". TBF.
          I call them black people around people I don't know who might be offended. That's because I'm not differentiating between African-American and black. When you say black people in America people know who you are talking about.

But that doesn't mean I think it's OK for people to assume that it's racist for saying African-American. Such people are just stupid PC people.

I wouldn't call you a Canadian-American. I would call you Canadian. And if you don't like it I'll just laugh at you.

Comment

I call them black people around people I don't know who might be offended.
            What do you call them otherwise?

I wouldn't call you a Canadian-American. I would call you Canadian. And if you don't like it I'll just laugh at you.
            Most do. Doesn't bother me. Nobody calls me Canadian American though, it gets a few people to laugh.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

What do you call them otherwise?

Most do. Doesn't bother me. Nobody calls me Canadian American though, it gets a few people to laugh.
              If it doesn't bother you then it's not the same thing.

Comment

If it doesn't bother you then it's not the same thing.
                Meh, I look forward to being a real American like Ted Cruz.

Comment

I grew up during and around the black power movement, the term african american eventually replaced black in younger people's vocabularies. I thought social conservatives were angry with the hyphenating of america so I'd think they'd be supportive of Whoopi's comment. I dont really care if people hyphenate their identities, my ancestry is irish and german (and who knows beyond that) and apparently we have a little portuguese but I'm not so sure about that. If I wasn't so detached from the past I might refer to myself as irish american in certain situations (like this) but I'm fine with people trying to keep attached to their family's history. Melting pots are good but I still appreciate the various flavors produced by humanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                    I grew up during and around the black power movement, the term african american eventually replaced black in younger people's vocabularies. I thought social conservatives were angry with the hyphenating of america so I'd think they'd be supportive of Whoopi's comment. I dont really care if people hyphenate their identities, my ancestry is irish and german (and who knows beyond that) and apparently we have a little portuguese but I'm not so sure about that. If I wasn't so detached from the past I might refer to myself as irish american in certain situations (like this) but I'm fine with people trying to keep attached to their family's history. Melting pots are good but I still appreciate the various flavors produced by humanity.
                    Are you familiar with the show, The Voice? Social conservatives don't watch that show. The audience cheered. That should explain why social conservatives would not be appreciative of her sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                      Are you familiar with the show, The Voice? Social conservatives don't watch that show. The audience cheered. That should explain why social conservatives would not be appreciative of her sentiment.
                      I thought The Voice was a singing show. Your familiarity is scary.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I mean The View

Comment

That should explain why social conservatives would not be appreciative of her sentiment.
                          Are you suggesting I'm not social conservative? Berz agrees with me here about hyphenated Americans. IF you're born in America, you're an American. Black, White, Brown, Red and Yellow.

Comment

I was friends with an Indian (as in, from the country of India) in grad school, and at one point he asked me "are you a Native American?" to which I responded "I don't think so..." (because a lot of my ancestors were lumberjacks and fur trappers etc and who knows who they passed their STDs on to) to which he asked "oh, where were you born?" to which I responded "Chicago" and then everybody was thoroughly confused.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                              I mean The View
                              I figured that but it's much funnier if it's the voice.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Are you suggesting I'm not social conservative? Berz agrees with me here about hyphenated Americans. IF you're born in America, you're an American. Black, White, Brown, Red and Yellow.
                                No one is saying otherwise. No one is saying African-Americans aren't Americans. It's stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X