Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what do we do when when nobody has a job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

China is trying to solve its overpopulation problem.
    total: 36.7 years
    male: 35.8 years
    female: 37.5 years
    total: 37.6 years
    male: 36.3 years
    female: 39 years
    One of these is China, one of these is the United States.
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
      KH makes "robots" that know how to trade in our electronic markets (I'm sure his programs are not limited to just stocks and options). That whole system is an interesting experiment in Darwinian AI (I think that kind of competition leads to AIs going down rat holes to non-optimal end results).

I invented an algorithm to automatically create Rete networks given a set of starting points and desired goals. Think of it as an AI that can figure out how to do things on its own. I am now engaged in making it possible for lots of little computer apps (robots) behave seamlessly as one really big and capable app. I also am part of building the systems that allow for millions of computer apps (robots) to create their own networks, register themselves, and communicate seamlessly with each other.

Perhaps this is why neither one of us is particularly worried about the robots taking over.
      Pretty sure the robot masters (typed monsters first) will be the first ones up against the wall.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
        One of these is China, one of these is the United States.
        Your point is that the mean age in China is almost the same as the mean age in the US? That represents a tremendous deceleration in growth for China. Remember that in recent decades the majority of growth in population for the United States has come from immigration. Try finding those figures for the mid-1990's, mid-1980's and mid-1970's.

The point is that China has more than 4 times the population of the US yet less territory to put them on. They would actually like to whittle down some of that population.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
          Every few years all Americans have a chance to chose who gets to make laws. You have an option to choose other people but so far Americans seem to be happy with the status quo.

When the rest of the US starts thinking like you, you can easily elect a party that will change you ridiculous tax system, your health care system etc.
          We don't have a party that is willing to make such changes. New parties don't survive in the United States. There hasn't been a new party that has broken into the national system in over 160 years.
          I think a combination of NGDP Targeting by the central bank + progressive taxation of wages (income from AIs should count as wages not as investment income) + a Guaranteed Income will take care of the transitional period between today and the moment when the robots take over everything.
          A system like that would guarantee that there is enough demand in the economy to keep everybody who wants to work employed while generating enough revenue to subsidize low productivity/unemployed workers.

Having said all that I think that it is unlikely that something like that will happen. More probably people will do something stupid. Just look at what happens in Europe in the last 6 years. It really crushes ones faith in humanity.
          When the troubles come our government will bail out the banks and corporations and send in the National Guard for the rest. Hmmmmm............. By then the National Guard might be robotic. The news will be robotic too, so move along people, nothing to see here!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
            My goal is to be one of the last productive humans. I'm pretty sure that by the time the bots get to me there will only be a million or so people working. I bet this will prove lucrative. Then I can enjoy the singularity on a private beach somewhere.
            You're assuming we'll have the politics to do it.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

everyone will be on disability when there are no jobs left.

seems to be the thing to do in this country. disability nation.

Comment

Technological improvements don't result in better lives for people unless good decisions are taken at the political level.

Economic improvements tend to concentrate wealth & power in the hand of a select few.

And besides, growth is unsustainable.

We're not a robot short of freedom.
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
                  And besides, growth is unsustainable.
                  This again?????
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Well, technically he is right, AFAIWK. Unless we find a way to go agains the second law of thermodynamics, everything is, in the long run, unsustainable
                    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by My Wife Hates CIV View Post
                      everyone will be on disability when there are no jobs left.

seems to be the thing to do in this country. disability nation.
                      You have to be examined by a doctor first. Alcoholism isn't an accpeted disability in the US.
                      If say only 10 to 20% of the country is still working how are you going to raise enough money by taxes to pay everyone? If you raise taxes won't people with income just leave the country?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
                        Well, I can see why Communism doesn't have an overpopulation problem.
                        /points to China

you dumbfuck
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove View Post
                          If you raise taxes won't people with income just leave the country?
                          Good. GTFO

go live in dubai

wait for the oil to run out and madmen to come and chop your head off
                          (not you personally)
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Who in their right mind would go to Dubai when Bermuda is right there?
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Heck, even Canada has lower taxes (at least for corporations).
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Bermuda would be easy to carpet bomb.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X