X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ask Apolyton Anything about Conquer the World

in short:
    - Have beta #2 for the last two days
    - Already consider the Conquer the World campaign as a second bonus game that you get with RoN
    - Ask anything!
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Well, the Conquer the World aspect sounds really cool, and if there is anything that could determine whether I buy this game or not, that would be it (it would be that?). So, I have a couple of questions:

1) How long do you think does it approximately take? Both the whole campaign, and separate stages? Just in the ballpark, a day, a week, a month?

2) Secondly, I realize that since you've had the beta for so little time, you probably haven't played through a whole CtW campaign, but what do you think about replayability value of the thing? Say, we start the campaign several times being the same nation, can there be some variation of strategy, or is it pretty much set, that if you start in territory A, you will always have to conquer territory B, then C, etc.?

Thanks.
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

Comment

Originally posted by vovansim
      1) How long do you think does it approximately take? Both the whole campaign, and separate stages? Just in the ballpark, a day, a week, a month?
      first of all, i characterize the process as a TBS where each turn is an RTS game. this mean you can stop and go back to it easily.

now these "turn games" are in small maps(total of 5-6 cities on the map(at the end)) so dont last long(from 15 to 40 minutes, of course depensing on how good you are)

i havent finished a full campaign yet, but i would calculate it to even less than 10 hours

2) Secondly, I realize that since you've had the beta for so little time, you probably haven't played through a whole CtW campaign, but what do you think about replayability value of the thing? Say, we start the campaign several times being the same nation, can there be some variation of strategy, or is it pretty much set, that if you start in territory A, you will always have to conquer territory B, then C, etc.?
      the multiple paths are virtually unlimited, not only affected by your choices, but also by what other nations do.

example on the first: starting as greeks, i could try to fight the russians in eastern europe(as i did), or try to face the several nations on western europe(french, italians, english, spanish) or attack turkey and then go for africa, etc

on the second: i had allied with the french which controlled half of europe so i was feeling secure geting the russians and preparing for the turks. in a single turns the french were eliminated by the incas (who had the entire north america at the time) and i had a totally different situation in my hands...

btw, if you attack a nation's main region(with it's capital), it's elliminated and you get most of it's territories. so surprises are probably often....

Comment

Back on topic, the Conquer The World looks to be fun for single player. Can it be played as an extended MP game for people with no lives?

unfortunately no
        it would be awsome if it did

another let down is that currently the scenario editor cant not create ctw-like campaigns. i'm told that it's in wish list for the future though....

Comment

Can you choose starting and ending age in CTW?
          "The meaning of war is not to die for your country, but making your enemies die for their..."

Staff member at RoN Empire

Comment

hmmm no

every few turns the "world advances" to the next age and in your turn-games you will start with that age

Comment

How much of strategy in it? I mean, do you have to take care of your economy, happiness, research, things to build, or you just have to move your armies and fiddle with tactics to win battles and conquer new territories, sort of a glorified boardgame?
              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

you just have to move your armies and fiddle with tactics to win battles and conquer new territories, sort of a glorified boardgame?
                more like that. there is no such thing as a group of global settings in economy, happiness, goverment, etc

but each territory has special bonuses, resources, etc which add to your strength. you can also gain "bonus cards" from some of the territories that you can use in future turns at your convienience. these create the layer for the "which road do i take" question....

and then there is diplomacy: you can make alliances(by paying money which you get from resources or... extortion of enemies) and if you attack a territory that is adjastent to your enemy he will also take part in the turn-game against the common enemy.
                the extortion part that i mentioned is that when you set to attack a territory(if you have peace you must pay credits, so there's a decision in that too) the enemy might come up with a "i'll give you X credits to stop for 3 turns" proposal...
                Last edited by MarkG; February 15, 2003, 11:48.

Comment

I have read that you get armies from each territory. What are these? Just markers on the main map? Do you then have to build troops for your army in the scenario?

How is the AI in planning movements in the main map? In battle? Are there various difficult settings? Do they make smart moves?

What are bonus cards? Give some examples of whats on them to be used.

I am sure I will have more as I read your responses, thanks Markos - and if you just give me the beta copy you won't have to answer my questions.
                  About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Interesting thing about diplomacy. I especially like the enemy begging you to not invade him...

I second tniem's questions about AI. How is it?

And, btw, have you found many bugs in this build? Do you think we'll have a relatively "bug-free" game in our hands when it is released?

Thanks, Markos.
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I hope so, Alexmn. BHG has been working on it for nearly 3 years now. That should be enough time to polish it.
                      Seemingly Benign
                      Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                        I have read that you get armies from each territory. What are these? Just markers on the main map? Do you then have to build troops for your army in the scenario?
                        some of the territories give you armies when you gain them.
                        - armies are used to attack a territory(one attack per turn)
                        - armies can be moved between territories, one army on each one
                        - if you have armies on adjastent terittories they will join as reinforcements
                        - if you have 2 more reinforcements than your enemy, you take the territory without a fight!

How is the AI in planning movements in the main map? In battle? Are there various difficult settings? Do they make smart moves?
                        i'm only on my first game on the easy level, so no judgement there

What are bonus cards? Give some examples of whats on them to be used.
                        bonus cards are usually giving you wonder-like and civ-specific bonuses: increased gather rates, decrased attrocity for you, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                          And, btw, have you found many bugs in this build? Do you think we'll have a relatively "bug-free" game in our hands when it is released?
                          the main game is bug-free right now. even on beta #1 (now 6 months old) needed 3 hours of continuous play to make a crash. CTW has some issues. i havent played much MP yet...

Comment

Markos, overall, how do you rate the whole game? How would you compare it to Civ and RTS games such as AoE?
                            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Well, I have a ton of questions now. Answer the ones you feel like answering, and I will be happy.

1) I know that you can establish trade routes between different cities in your territory. What about different territories on the world map? Do they generate extra income if you build some extra caravans?

2) Let us say you invade some empty territory, build up your cities, defeat the barbarians, and what not. Then, some time later, somebody else attacks that territory of yours. Then, when you go back to the real-time turn, will you start out defending with what you had build up previously, or will you basically have to start from scratch more or less.

3) Wonders. Are they world-map-wide, or just apply to single territories? In other words, say you build your pyramids somewhere in africa, and then play on another territory - will you be able to build the pyramids there as well, or will you just get the effects since you'd already built them elsewhere.

Thanks.
                              XBox Live: VovanSim
                              xbox.com (login required)
                              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                              Spore page

Comment

Working...
                              X