Initial RoN strategy tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial RoN strategy tips

.Updated 26.05.03.. Scroll down till you see the next big updated sign for a big huge post on wonders.

This is my third, I think, day with the retail version of RoN, and it is, therefore, time to publish some strategical tips that I for now believe useful through my games. Bear in mind, the AI is tough and provides a challenge, and that my experience still is very limited (some messing with beta, with limited time and a bit worse AI), so...

Attrition:

Actually, it's a highly important thing, for it makes the defending player quite well-stuited to his position. Maybe this is unlike some other RTS games, where the attacker had an advantage just because he was attacking and pushing the other guy. So, build your first tower in an area that the enemy might reasonably attack, and be sure to research attrition techs there. Once you're at attrition level 2, enemy just doesn't want to risk attacking you by sending 3 units, for that will do him no good - attacks will come in serious numbers then. So, also when planning on building peacefully, get the attrition upgrades and make yourself a less inviting target. Well, that's pretty obvious, I guess.

Of course, this works both ways, never forget that attrition when you're the attacker. However, in some cases, you may see that your units enter enemy territory and take no attrition, which means that the enemy is still to research attrition level 1. If this is the case, attack his economy with haste! You have a free go through his territory, which is just a good motivation to have some Slingers chase his gatherers around for a bit. This will force the enemy to get a tower up, because he will now get quite wary of future attacks on his villagers, even if you're not planning any.

Speaking of attrition, it's an absolute must to mention the Kremlin wonder. If you happen to play as the Russians, GET IT!! Kremlin coupled with your Russian Winter ability results in some very, very serious attrition damage, and an enemy without sufficient amounts of Supply Wagons is going to have a real tough time invading you. This would also make your inner cities quite safe, because enemy units wouldn't be in much of a fighting shape after marching through lots of land controlled by a Russian player who has the Kremlin. Now, this brings me exactly on the topic of Supply Wagons.

You just can't underestimate these guys (or whatever they are). Be sure to bring at least one when attacking with you, and don't leave it too hard behind. Theoretically, the best position is in the centre of your attacking group, but that might make the wagon a relatively easy target. Do as you please, but don't leave him so far behind that he serves little purpose. All in all, the effect countered by Wagons is pretty huge, and you can even offset advantages of those Russians! Again, this is something that goes both ways. If you're under attack, make an effort to get rid of enemy supply wagons, and do it fast. Once your siege is upgraded to Bombards or better, it's a good idea to have a few field guns target the Supply Wagons. If you can manage to wipe enemy supplies at very start of the battle, it might even cause the enemy to flee (well, this particular note is more with MP in mind).

Remember them French here! If you're French, build many supplies, those units are your friends. And, against, the French, hit them with all possible speed, using your siege or Light cavalry or whatever is up to the task. When playing French, I've tried having 3 Supply Wagons in close proximity of my army at any time, and it worked reasonably well, even healing my troopers in enemy land, love that! Note that other nations can also achieve this via research, but it's quite a while till the respective technology can be researched.

City building.

Cities are crucial. Since most of you here are Civ players, you know that fairly well, and this is no different in RoN. You start with just one city, and the benefits that you get when building additional ones are fantastic. Therefore, don't forget to make that Civic research level 1, then find a few free citizens, or create them, and go make a new city. Once you have two cities, you can start to generate wealth better, as well as have a huge boost to your economy. Now, about what to build in your cities.

Farms are really, really important. They're what provide you with all the food, and if you lack food, you're in a weak position. Unfortunately, the cities have a limit of only 5 farms per city, unless you're playing the Egyptians. You will, no doubt, quikcly notice that 5 farms just aren't enough to get your economy going and also have some other developments in your nation. This means that you want a second city quickly. A word about the Bantu here, they have an absolutely fantastic bonus of cheap, cheap, CHEAP cities. So cheap that there's no excuse for not making a second city early in the game. Now, once you have your second city, fill it with 5 more farms, and now finally, with 10 farms, you have quite a surplus of food to continue your research and expansion.

Every city I build or conquer gets a temple as soon as I can reasonably afford it without giving up too much, which is actually soon enough. Temples provide the much-needed boost to your territory. This is important, because a) enemies can't be building up right outside one of your cities, b) you have more land to use, c) it increases your total land control %, which is a crucial play for taxation income. Of course, research your taxation level 1 tech as soon as feasible, because wealth comes into the play rather early. Now, every city also gets a Market, and this one should really be obvious to you. Consider this, you make Caravans at markets, and they trade between your cities. Each pair of cities you have can trade. Therefore, with your city number of n, every city can trade with n-1 cities. So, your total possible amount of trade routes is n*(n-1), which is quite obvious. Now, with 5 cities, which isn't THAT much, you have 20 possible trade routes, which means that you will not be having a wealth problem for quite a while. In fact, the Caravan limit is there for a reason - you shouldn't just be able to run away with as much wealth as you want. Note here - once you build a Caravan, you don't even need to do anything, it will automatically find a city to trade with and will engage the trade route, if possible.

Universities. A pretty high priority build for my cities. Mainly, for my first two cities, I get them very soon (and, of course, fill with scholars), and for the third city, it's medium high priority. I don't want to spend all my wealth on scholars, but 3 unis with them is a nice amount to get the research going quite easily.

Economic buildings. Well, what can I say here? It should be obvious that every mountain you can find should have a mine. It's not like there's dozens of those mountains, you know. For forests, make sure you are using a couple of them, but later it really becomes unwise to lumberjack every single tree you can find. As for Farms, I've already said much, but let me add a bit else. For third city, it's also 5 farms, a must have. For fourth and beyond, they're not that high of priority anyway, but build them nonetheless. Just don't hurry to make 5 farms at once with your 6th city. Gathering enhancement buildings. Show me a single reason NOT to build them when available, please. Lumber Mill, Granary and Smelter should pop up in every city. Well, for me Smelter is usually the highest priority, for mountains (and Metal, therefore) tend to be limited, but Granary and Lumber Mill also gets built. It's a very good prospect, you build it and forget, while getting additional resource output... sounds great? Well, it is.

Research

No comment . There's quite a lot of technologies to research anyway, but you want to make your progress through them quickly, yet with consideration. First rule of a thumb - never have just one Library! It's not like they're expensive, and at some point in the Classical age, you're quite well suited to dropping one or two more libraries. Then, you can research multiple techs at once.

Early in the game, my personal priority seems to be commerce research, because I tend to hit the commerce cap limit pretty soon, especially with Timber gathering. IF playing Bantu, Civics is of utmost importance, for being able to go and build my second city for almost nothing. Military research is nothing something I value this much, for attacks can generally wait till a later point in the game (and they should, really), but military tech still is important, at least first 2 levels. First, it's the population limit, second, you need the ability to raise an army, even if not planning to use it! In fact, you should always have some military buildings at the ready, even at peace. Well, any RTS player will find this quite obvious. Science research is fine in the various stuff it provides, and never forget that it actually makes the other techs cheaper, making it well worth a path to pursue.

Advance ages at your own convenience, but don't delay it too much. In fact, if you have the resources, it's mostly better to advance. First, it always provides some bonuses, like the Classical age ability to build mounted units (and Mines!). Second, units from later ages are better, and really they are. Once you're in Classical, you can quite certainly expect your cavalry units to beat any Archaic unit that might come. Besides, the Classical Age opens doors for things such as wonders and some interesting prospects. Same goes for other ages, they all are worth it.

Industrial Age

Deserves a few sentences on its own, for it really changes the game. This is where the game changes economically and militarily. Mainly militarily, of course. Tanks become available, and that's a huge change. Simply put, no Enlightment age unit can reasonably fight against a Tank. Once you get the Light Tank tech, you get your heavy cavalry upgrades to those, and enemy infantry and archers suddenly are all doomed. Also note that Artillery is that much more deadly. The second big military change of Industrial Age is the arrival of airpower. OK, all you get for now is primitive fighter aircraft, but it all marks the beggining of a new area in military development. Fighters may not seem like much of a threat to your cities and ground forces, but take my advice - build them anti-aircraft guns! They become available now, and this is the time you HAVE to get them. Otherwise, you'll be very disappointed when in Modern Age 16 bombers fly up to your land and beat the crap out of one of cities. AA guns have quite a reasonable range, and you should clearly put them in proximity of every city center you have, as well as any wonders. I have lost my Collosus because of bombings, and I'm not going to forget that.

City attacking

A few words here, too. First, be sure to bring in supply wagons, because you will likely have to fight at least a bit inside enemy borders. Second, have siege at the ready, there's no other really effective method of getting rid of buildings. Now, my preference is to target the city center immediately with my siege, just trying to outflood the enemy with my units, and take down his military structures with other methods. In fact, once you have some 5 siege guns, taking the city center down to 0 HP isn't hard, and that's when the territory becomes neutral. Great stuff, no attrition, no building for enemy, and it all is going to be yours soon. This is usually where I turn my siege to other military strucutres nearby, while the infantry troopers are made for a more defensive role, often entrenched. Also, 2-3 citizens go for repairing the city center.

Be sure to remember that your siege, once level of Cannons or later, is also good against units, doing serious splash damage.

I also believe I had a few notes to make on missile weaponry and modern aircraft, but not now anyway. Need to play more, and then finally get some sleep .

[size = 4]Note![/size][size=3]For early game and subsequent sections, scroll down to later posts. I can't update this one anymore because of message length limits.
    Last edited by Solver; May 26, 2003, 14:58.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Now this is what I call a comprehensive, but still quite breaf strategy guide. Thumbs up for Solver.

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Meh, this is no strategy guide, a strategy guide would be at least 5 times longer. This is merely a collection of tips .

Comment

the first few researches deserve their own thread.

i usually go commerce, civic, science, then work from there.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Re: Initial RoN strategy tips

You wrote a lot of good stuff. I think the tips you are giving will appeal to the TBS player, but the RTS player will probably want to focus on military sooner and try rushing. But I tend to play the way you described. A few specific comments:

Now, once you have your second city, fill it with 5 more farms, and now finally, with 10 farms, you have quite a surplus of food to continue your research and expansion.
          This is obviously a good idea, but don't forget that you have to do a commerce research first or you'll wind up well over the opening limit of 70. A city with 5 farms gets you 60 since the city generates 10 food itself.

Now, every city also gets a Market, and this one should really be obvious to you.
          I'm not so sure about this strategy. I've discussed this on another thread somewhere. Your math about the number of possible combinations of cities for trade routes is correct, but the total number of trade route is limited by your commerce level and is much lower. I find that one Market can easily keep up with producing all the caravans and merchants I need. Additional Markets give you +10 Wealth each, but that's not that much.

First rule of a thumb - never have just one Library! It's not like they're expensive, and at some point in the Classical age, you're quite well suited to dropping one or two more libraries. Then, you can research multiple techs at once.
          Two libraries is a good idea, especially given what we learned today about the second library taking over the research of the first if it gets destroyed (see this thread ). However I think Classical Age might be a little early to invest the resources in a second Library. I usually wait until Gunpowder, by which time I'm hopefully about to take over a Library from an enemy!

Science research is fine in the various stuff it provides, and never forget that it actually makes the other techs cheaper, making it well worth a path to pursue.
          True, and probably slightly understated. If you can, you should always do the science research first. Sometimes it's not practical due to other pressing needs, but all else being equal you should always grab the science first.

Now, my preference is to target the city center immediately with my siege, just trying to outflood the enemy with my units, and take down his military structures with other methods. In fact, once you have some 5 siege guns, taking the city center down to 0 HP isn't hard, and that's when the territory becomes neutral.
          Not quite true - you have to knock the city down to 0 and then move in your infantry so that there's more of your guys in the area than his. Then the city is captured and the territory becomes neutral during the assimilation phase. One other thing - going for the city initially often makes sense, but if military production buidings are near the border you should probably go after them at the same time (or even first). That way you cut out his ability to quickly reinforce.

Be sure to remember that your siege, once level of Cannons or later, is also good against units, doing serious splash damage.
          A very good point that deserves extra emphasis. It's easy to get into a habit of just pointing your seige weapons at buildings, but the gunpowder and later ones are devestating against troops. Plus they make for cool graphics - the poor little infantry guys go flying when a shell goes off nearby.
          Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

You wrote a lot of good stuff. I think the tips you are giving will appeal to the TBS player, but the RTS player will probably want to focus on military sooner and try rushing.

Yup, this was written with a more peaceful and TBS approach in mind. I'm yet to explore the super early rushes in RoN.

However I think Classical Age might be a little early to invest the resources in a second Library. I usually wait until Gunpowder, by which time I'm hopefully about to take over a Library from an enemy!

Not so sure. A second Classical library gives you a chance to actually be researching two techs at the same time, if your econ is good, you want to keep your resource totals low by researching ahead.

Not quite true - you have to knock the city down to 0 and then move in your infantry so that there's more of your guys in the area than his. Then the city is captured and the territory becomes neutral during the assimilation phase. One other thing - going for the city initially often makes sense, but if military production buidings are near the border you should probably go after them at the same time (or even first). That way you cut out his ability to quickly reinforce.

Well, I just assumed that during a massive attack on an enemy, you likely have more troops than he has there by the time the city is knocked down to 0...

A very good point that deserves extra emphasis. It's easy to get into a habit of just pointing your seige weapons at buildings, but the gunpowder and later ones are devestating against troops.

Yeah! The thing I would want to write next would be about applications of some specific units... damn, I've suffered from those Russian Katyusha batteries... tough cookies!

Comment

You wrote a lot of good stuff. I think the tips you are giving will appeal to the TBS player, but the RTS player will probably want to focus on military sooner and try rushing.

Yup, this was written with a more peaceful and TBS approach in mind. I'm yet to explore the super early rushes in RoN.

However I think Classical Age might be a little early to invest the resources in a second Library. I usually wait until Gunpowder, by which time I'm hopefully about to take over a Library from an enemy!

Not so sure. A second Classical library gives you a chance to actually be researching two techs at the same time, if your econ is good, you want to keep your resource totals low by researching ahead.

Well, I just assumed that during a massive attack on an enemy, you likely have more troops than he has there by the time the city is knocked down to 0...

A very good point that deserves extra emphasis. It's easy to get into a habit of just pointing your seige weapons at buildings, but the gunpowder and later ones are devestating against troops.

Yeah! The thing I would want to write next would be about applications of some specific units... damn, I've suffered from those Russian Katyusha batteries... tough cookies!

Comment

I like to use the siege attack option, which means select all your units including infantry and siege and alt-right click on the target. The siege weapons fire away while the ground troops deploy around the siege to protect them. So my guys aren't running in to take the city until I give a new order. This is more conservative of course. In fact, I usually find myself standing on my side of the border during the initial siege attack. Not that I don't have supply wagons but just so that if he couterattacks he'll have to take attrition.
                Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

I'm sure someone will enlighten you on the early rush thing in your first mp games
                  I don't think the peaceful approach will work at all, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part

Good writeup anyways, keep it up.

One more note, I'm really bad at math but the n*(n-1) seems wrong. With 3 cities that would imply 6 possible traderoutes , while it's only 3 imo. A-B, A-C, B-C (B-A would be the same as A-B I think, or do two cities support 2 traderoutes between them?).

Comment

I'm sure someone will enlighten you on the early rush thing in your first mp games

It's not that I suck at rushing, I have won games in below 10 minutes in Age of Mythology, but it's not as fun as a good 1 hour game . And I *think* that I will be playing RoN more for SP... at least for now it seems well suited to that.

One more note, I'm really bad at math but the n*(n-1) seems wrong. With 3 cities that would imply 6 possible traderoutes , while it's only 3 imo. A-B, A-C, B-C (B-A would be the same as A-B I think, or do two cities support 2 traderoutes between them?).

I'm pretty positive that A-B and B-A are different trade routes, therefore the formula is correct.

Comment

Ok, it's probably capped at 3 for another reason, I haven't really payed too much attention to how this works. I just build how ever many my empire supports at any given moment.

Comment

I am currently posting this with a hillarious game paused there, and there's one thing I've learned. Amphibious assaults are fantastically tough.It is now Information Age, and I can't exactly see that I have found a method to break into those spanish rows...

Comment

Actually I think A-B and B-A are the same. But I also think this is a moot discussion, because the caravan limit tied to the commerce research level is lower than the maximum number of combinations of cities..

As for the peaceful approach not working at all, I suspect you might be proven wrong. Only time will tell. It does work against the AI (at least up to "Tough" level where I am playing now). And I suspect a peaceful player who pays attention to defense will have a far better chance in RoN than in previous RTS games.

Comment

Wow, you're working the AI on Tough already? Congrats!

Yes, I agree that defensive options are by far more acceptable here than other RTS games. A question BTW... how do you prevent the AI from declaring war on you? It seems to me that it will generally love to do so.

Comment

I don't know how to stop them from declaring war. My guess is it works something like Civ - if you get too powerful, they start to dislike you and decide to attack. Maybe you could send them tribute earlier in the game? Or you could just say "bring it on!"

Tough is only level 4 - there's also Tougher and Toughest. Plus I pause all the time still, which makes things considerably easier. I have to wean myself off that pause button eventually if I want to play mp.

Comment

Working...
                              X