No announcement yet.

MoM: What your favorite Magic type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always take the picture of someone who should be opposed to me. For instance, I'll take Merlin or Ariel if I'm going to use death magic.

Or, if I take Myrran as an ability, I'll take Ssysra's(sp) portrait. That cuts down on one opponent who is almost sure to show up.
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Whenever I start on Myrror, one other wizard starts there with me (assuming 4 opponent wizards). If I don't take Sss'ra, it'll be him, but if I do, the computer picks someone else and tacks the Myrran ability onto him.
      "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Little
        Whenever I start on Myrror, one other wizard starts there with me (assuming 4 opponent wizards). If I don't take Sss'ra, it'll be him, but if I do, the computer picks someone else and tacks the Myrran ability onto him.
        True, but they can also that second wizard even WITH sss'ra being there.

Comment

I tried all black books and wraiths last night (4 opponents, impossible).
          It is surprisingly easy to make a strong start and capture neutral cities.
          Terror is also handy for avoiding battles by running away until time runs out.
          "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
          "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
          - Pekka

Comment

Usually I go for a death or death/chaos mix.

But last time I played, I got life/nature with Alchemist and High Elves.
            Well I (unwillingly) left 1 of my cities defended with only 1 magician unit, and won 3 or 4 times against 7-9 stacks with Lionheart, Stoneskin and sometimes Web.

And, of course, I summoned the all-beloved Torin, but that was just for 'mopping up' those rather unsuccessful AI warmongers...
            War doesn't prove who is right, only who is left.

Comment

MoM is such a cool game.
              I'm currently trying many life books with artificer (first time) as gnolls. Wierd combination is new to me and the whole game plays so differently.
              The game feels fresh even though I've played it for years.
              - Pekka

Comment

Sorcery..... I couldn't play without it, cuz once Tauron cast Great Wasting the game was over, so I always had to use spell blast and a good deal of mana to stop it from happening.

AHHHHHHH!!!!! THAT GAME WAS THE COOLEST EVER IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Update on my Node Mastery challenge game: I lost the first one with Barbarians, then lost another one with Gnolls. But it looks like third time's the charm: I started another with Halflings and I've reached the point where a win is all but inevitable. One opponent has been banished twice and has just a couple of cities left. The other two are still powerful, and it'll take a long time to wear them down, but it will happen. The only way I can lose is if Ss'sra gets powerful enough to cast Great Wasting or Armageddon.

Comment

Well done, Rex.
                    I found that tough and have not won a game like that.
                    - Pekka

Comment

• I kinda had fossilized in my typical setup over the years, and as I kept coming back at MoM from time to time I stucked with it.
                      Mind, I DO like it mainly because of the incredibly wide variety it offers you, but when you just want to spend a couple of hours making time run, you tread the known path.
                      So my standard approach was
                      Warlord+NodeMastery (NM)
                      LLLCCNSS
                      Barbarians
                      I might have even renounced to more books to take Famous and/or Charismatic.
                      Sometimes I took Myrran, renouncing to Warlord (and to Barbarians).
                      Later, I began to appreciate Alchemy (magical weapons for free) somewhat replacing and making for Warlord, freeing 1 pick.
                      I could get up to 4Life, or 3 in another domain.
                      I juggled a bit with the other books, but rarely going with less than 4 realms covered.

I have to say that 3-4 years ago I could win on Impossible (and Powerful, of course) with those settings, not everytime, but enough to avoid getting discouraged.
                      Rekindling my passion 2 years ago after a hiatus, I hardly could manage it again.

So, maybe it requires some knack and dedication, more than a just occasional player can achieve, but I don't see why it should be a particularly hard challenge over any other, apart the hands-down ones.

Strictly speaking, NM locks 1 pick for the retort itself, and 3 for the required CNS books.
                      You are left with 7 picks to distribute between other retorts or books.
                      These can be 7 books in L/D, or get to 8 in one of the 3 node realms. True, this way you'll have no retort other than NM itself. Is that the main difficulty you find in it?

You know that with the patch, the Spell Ranks table reported in the manual is no longer valid.
                      Up to 10 books in a single realm, you'll just have to pick N-1 discovered *Common* spells in that realm you'll start with (thus, up to 10-1=9 out of the 10 avaialble).
                      Only picking the maximum books, you'll get all the 10 common plus 2 Uncommon and 1 (Very?) Rare, as reported (that is D=Wraiths, L=Incarnation, name yours for the 3 "node" realms).
                      So, stepping down from the Realm-committed variants (11 books), I don't see that much difference in playing with 7 rather than with 10 books in one Realm (the modest research/casting discount at those levels is not determinant).
                      That is to say, if you regret only having NM retort, I don't see it as a real problem contenting of just 5 extra books over the CNS base, instead of 7, to accommodate for a couple pick-worth in other retorts.

But I've been just a rather ocasional player over the recent years, and as I said my skill has waned...
                      You might have sounder points that I'm overlooking...

___
                      Coming to speak of my choices, rather than merely discussing your Realm of election, it could be interesting to take a step further and tell us *how many* books you tend to pick at most, and distributed over which Realms.

For those who play Bridge (I don't really, I just know the basics), it would be something like a hand distribution classification

We can have one-suit er... realm hands, in which either you get books in only one of them, or you at most get 1-2 in a couple others (say, 7-2-1-0, or at least 6-2-2-1).
                      Two-realm hands, extreme ones (6-5-0-0, 7-4-0-0) or milder ones (like the one used by Rex in the challenge, 5-4-1-0). Even a 4-4-0-0 one (with 3 pick in retorts) could with some stretch be defined as a two-handed.
                      Balanced hands, in which a realm gets at least 3 books and no more than 4, allowing for only 3 to be covered. This allows a 4-4-3-0 for instance. Exceptionally we could consider a 3-3-3-2 balanced, but I'd rather create a new class for this kind of distribution, that I'd call...
                      "Spread" hands, that is you cover all 4 possible realms with 2 (or exceptionally 3) books, just to get to determine one spell in each that you haev in your hands. This makes for a 2-2-2-2 and 3-worth retort pick...
                      I would not know how to define a 4-3-2-2 tho...

Maybe I let me carry away too much.
                      My curiosity stands tho, in that I'd likeat least to know whether you consider optimal to pick at least 4 books in a real, or 6, or 8.
                      I rarely went for more than 4, thinking to obtain some more spells thru trades (especailly if I have Charismatic and keep peaceful), or thru threats and conquests, or from structures/nodes.
                      I admit I have that way overlooked the SpellRanks table, not for the last "Guaranteed Spells" colum, but for the table body, which stated how many spells of each rarity level a given Rank (i.e. books #) allows in a realm.
                      I didn't check if the table still held valid after the patch, and if as my impression goes trades and fidnings allow you to override those limits...

HHHHMMMMMM.... maybe a couple of issues here would have deserved a thread on their own...
                      Maybe later...
                      I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

• Strictly speaking, NM locks 1 pick for the retort itself, and 3 for the required CNS books.
                        You are left with 7 picks to distribute between other retorts or books.
                        These can be 7 books in L/D, or get to 8 in one of the 3 node realms. True, this way you'll have no retort other than NM itself. Is that the main difficulty you find in it?
                        Yes, the main difficulty is having few picks and being forced to spread across magic types, which weakens the caster in each magic type. If you've ever tried using all 11 on one type, the game actually gets a lot easier.
                        Last edited by MattyBoy; September 29, 2002, 19:52.
                        - Pekka

Comment

• Full disclosure: one of the things helping me to win that challenge game is a bug in the game. I'm sure everyone who's played MOM much knows that sometimes, parts of the game get corrupted at random. At times this will crash the game, but not always; it can simply cause garbled messages or city names or other effects. Well, my game barfed all over the hero attributes. I loaded it up one day and found that Rakir (my only hero) had Leadership +3, Armsmaster, Super Armsmaster, and about three more experience levels than he'd had when I saved the game. (He also had Arcane Power, although that didn't help any because he'd lost his spell points.) A bit later, I took over a node and picked up another hero, Theria. Only she wasn't the wimpy little thief I've always known her as. This was Theria on steroids. She had all the abilities Rakir had picked up, plus Grand Lord experience (2 gold circles) and 192 spell points! Since I have the Disintegrate and Doom Bolt spells, she can basically run around kicking the crap out of anything she bumps into, single-handed. She went up a level and now has 220 points, which lets her throw four Disintegrates or five Doom Bolts, whichever suits the situation best.

Later I picked up a couple more heros, and they both started out as Grand Lords with more spell points than any hero can ever have in a normal game. Strangely enough, none of the enemy heros I've run into have been enhanced.

I think I'd be winning even without this advantage--I was doing pretty well before it happened--but it certainly does help seal the deal.

Comment

• Do you remember enemy heroes ever having magic items?

Comment

• Every now and then an enemy hero might have a weapon, or two, but hte fact is the AI was incredibly careless with it's heros. It never even tried to nurture them into any great status.
                              Pentagenesis for Civ III
                              Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
                              Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

• I remember in the earlier versions they seemed to carry them occasionally, but after 1.31 came out, I NEVER saw an AI hero with a magic item.

Comment

Working...
                                X