No announcement yet.

MoM: What your favorite Magic type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course I have played that 11 death -> wraiths -> easy victory path... but that wasn't 'only summonings'

I tried a more 'difficult' aproach. I took 10 nature (I thought sprites were good for exploration...?) and conjurer. tough-tough... atleast for me...
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Sprites are great early explorers (much better than magic spirits) but that's about it.

What critters did you summon with nature?
      "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
      "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Sprites are not just explorers...

They are excellent city defenders!!!!

No wait, I am serious...

Sprites + web + wall * stone strength = units that can hold a city against all but massive attacks by ranged/breath units. Combine the sprites with a couple swordsman and you are golden...

Comment

Moomin:

These 'critters': Sprites, war-bears, cocatrices and GORGONS! ... forget the great wyrns... they have a lot of hitpoints, shields, swords and that 15 poisonous hits ... and mergeing... but they are so expensive in mana (15). It's not very good early tactic.
          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

8 Life + Myrron

I really like the Life spell set. 11 books for Torin can be a little overwhelming, especially if Torin is cast with certain bonuses. Even more overwhelming with the human race (Paladins eventually rule all). For a challenge try 8 life + Myrron. I like the road bonus ability to connect your entire empire which I think reduces the need for strong garrisons since you can shift troops from town to town as needed. Plus, Myrron has harder lairs and nodes as a rule. Play the game on Hard, 4, large, powerfull and let me know what you think. On the other hand, I have never played a game with more than one other opponent on the Myrron plane (nest as I can recall anyway) so you won't bump into other wizards as fast. Since you have all life anyway spell trading won't be a big deal regardless.

There is one flaw with this setup. I usually cop-out a bit and select the Rjak portrait during the custom setup so he doesn't show up in the game. His pure death overland corruption spells can end your game quickly.

I haven't ever played an 11 death setup and tried the wraiths strategy but I am going to give that a go in my next game.

Thoughts??
            Last edited by Kindbud; August 15, 2002, 18:01.
            A penny saved today is a penny spent tomorrow. - MFDII

Comment

I thought the 111 death books and wraiths made the game TOO easy to win.
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Death and Chaos are my favourite ones. The units getting with Death are really one of the best and the destructive power of chaos beat almost any other combination.
                Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

That should be 11 death books in my previous post.

Comment

I think you got it right...

... the first time.

111 Death books would make it to easy to win. Especially since it only takes 11 to gt wraiths...

Comment

Lycantropes are enough against poor AI too.

Comment

I find it effective to build early Sprites to capture neutral cities, by taking out one or two units at a time, but it makes for a boring game. Better than 111 death books, though.
                        "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
                        "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
                        - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by MattyBoy
                          I find it effective to build early Sprites to capture neutral cities, by taking out one or two units at a time, but it makes for a boring game. Better than 111 death books, though.

Hey! It was a typo!

Comment

Life is my favourite, because I like to play a building game.

Plus I find that the unicorns are one of the few summoned creatures I use often. Their teleporting skill is unsurpassed for raiding enemies back areas and their resistance boosting skill is welcome as well of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Father Beast
                              BTW, did you know you can cast stream of life on an outpost and have it pop into a town in just a few turns?
                              No, I didn't ever imagine to cast city spells on 0-sized outposts! Cool!

BTW, yesterday I was killing time with an easy MoM game.
                              I had to plop an outpost in the middle of a mountain range, as it was the only tile left in-between existing basezones (I would have had to raze the only Gnoll base available on that world to make room for better base spacing and placement...), and also only chance to exploit a Mythril ore (S'sra had cast Planar Seal...).
                              The survey didn't credit more than 3 or 4 max pop, and in such conditions outposts can take 20 turns to grow to size 1 (especially if you run 45% taxes...).
                              It had got at most at 5-6 huts, when I got a mesage that the OUTPOST had been hit by... the Plague! (There I began to wonder that city events could be applied to outposts too, only yesterday!)
                              I expected the outpost to be deserted.
                              Next turn indeed I read a message reporting some Growths and also a Deaths section, which said "Deventor population decreased to 1".
                              I wondered whether for an oupost it meant that it was reduced to 1 hut...
                              I cheked and... it was a sized 1 town, with 1,980 population, growing to size 2 next turn!

Gret thread.

BTW, I also suck as Summoner.
                              Or rather, I liberally spend my mana in combats for summoning creatures, but very rarley summon overland creatures, the efficient ones cost too much mana to maintain, and the cheap ones are not usually worth a normal unit.
                              I prefer to spend at least 50% of my mana in increasing my skill, to be able to case more spells and more powerful ones in the same turn or combat.

Loosely more on topic...
                              When you build a Custom Mage, do you like to match the picture you choose with the magic you pick?
                              Or do you stick with your preferred one?
                              For instance, do you stick with Horus or Ariel pic even the time you give a try to an all Death Character?
                              Or... do you pick the mage's picture you would NOT want to face in the game?
                              I don't exactly know what I mean by that, but I mean it (Holden Caulfield)

Comment

Originally posted by MariOne
                                Or... do you pick the mage's picture you would NOT want to face in the game?
                                That perfectly describes my style. I never choose death magic, so Rjak has nothing to trade with me; therefore, I pick his portrait.

My last few games have been with halflings, SSSSLNC, Alchemy, Warlord, Archmage. I can take over most neutral cities with a single spearman (or even a magic spirit) bolstered by confusion or phantom warriors. Just like tipping an advanced tribe in Civ, free additional cities in the early game can really give me a great start.

Comment

Working...
                                X