Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher
    No, it's all of the hype for WoW that is keeping it high.
    Funny that when El Cid makes arguments like this you join me in arguing against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike

Funny that when El Cid makes arguments like this you join me in arguing against him.
      El Cid doesn't make the argument as well as I do. The fact is hype can and does elevate review scores, it's part of being human. WoW fanboys ejaculated to record distances when they finally were able to get past L70, so their expansion got a 100%. That's how it works.

It is true that games like Halo 3, Gears of War 2, etc get elevated scores because of their hype factors, but they still remain great games, which is contrary to El Cid's arguments and what I took issue with.

Wrath of the Lich King is a rather pathetic expansion pack, especially in comparison to Moria. Any way you look at it -- from new content hours, to polish, to innovation, it's lacking dramatically compared to Moria. Lich King clearly had balance issues: it's way too easy to get to 70, there's not enough to do after, it adds more generic, uninspired raids, and they took a lazy-way-out with a L50+ only class in the Death Knight without fleshing out levels 1 through 50 to complete the experience. Even then, the Death Knight is completely derivative compared to the gameplay in Moria's Warden or Runekeepers.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Since you haven't posted about playing Lich King I'm unclear on where you are getting your strong views about its overhypedness from.

It certainly isn't from reading the glowing reviews.

Comment

• No, it's from talking to my co-workers. Many of which play WoW and got Lich King on launch day.

Most are L80 and bitter. There's also various podcasts (like Massively.com) where when Lich King came out they were all ecstatic about it, but are now depressed. Coincidentally, they keep talking about LOTRO now instead and how awesome Moria is...

Then again, I work in a field where intellect and analytical ability is desired and common, and not economics. Your experience may be different.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• MoM does have some interesting features, and I expect to see other MMOs adopting something like the legendary weapons system, as it seems a good way of making people feel that their character building won't be immediately wasted when the next expansion comes out.

I'll be interested to see what the scores are when the rest of the reviews come in.

Comment

• Half a year Post Expansion, what are your thoughts now Asher?
              *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• Loving it more than ever. I've actually been playing it very extensively the past month.

Lothlorien is gorgeous, the new instances are amazing. I love the new 3-man instances they're running -- they still feel very epic and are challenging but don't require lots of coordination to start/run.

The new 12-man instance is very, very fun too.

The legendary item system is the key, I think. Even though I've been the level cap (60) for months, there's still things to do...things are still leveling. I'm socketing runes and trying new combinations of builds and weapon loadouts and the like.

It's still the best MMORPG out there.

The game's 2 years old now and they're still adding players, not losing like most do.

Comment

• Check out this screenshot from today's Massively.com. It's Lothlorien in the night:

Comment

• Rumours have it the next expansion (due holiday this year) will introduce new gameplay mechanics, including mounted combat (it takes place in Rohan).

Comment

• hmm this looks tempting. Still waiting on my company's bankruptcy before I build my new rig, so I'll have to check out the system requirements for this. I may get this.

Comment

• There are free trials.

Comment

• Asher just has a fetish for hobbits.

Comment

• I have a free week starting tomorrow.

Since I haven't been playing WoW, I think I will fire it up.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• I'd need to rope some other folks in to make it worthwhile. I hate playing MMOs and I think it has to do with playing them solo.
                              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• I play in a very active, friendly casual kinship on Brandywine. I'm an officer there, can invite you. Always someone on to play with.

Comment

Working...
                                X