No announcement yet.

Lord of the Rings Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The book quest lines themselves are pretty much made up stories (not following the literary works i don't believe most of the time) that run parallel to the actual written books. They have you doing sometimes unrelated things, but sometimes Aragorn will send you on quests to do something saying "he's about to go to rivendell for a meeting so i can't attend to this etc" or some such thing if i remember the earlier lines correctly.

Kinda like you aren't the top hero, but are helping them as they, the heroes, are about to go on the journey.

As you do the quest that sees them off from rivendell, they tell you that "they feel better knowing middle earth is in your hands while we are on our journey". That type of thing.

Then this xpak will supposedly progress in a similar way after they have gone though the mines and you follow after them.

And on down the story until mordor i guess in whatever xpak that is.

Of course if you don't like the lord of the rings in general , all this is moot i guess.
    While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

• I have a PDF that summarizes books 1-14 to give a glimpse as to how the game basically works, story driven wise. An epic line that runs parallel to the actual written books with plenty of standard mmo grinding and kill quests thrown in.

It's on my darn work comp...trying to find it on the intardwebs...

It gives a good idea how things go for the epic line. How your player interacts with the literary characters in quest form. The quests are made up as I said, but the developers used good judgement in trying to tie the made up game stuff to the literary works in game form for the most part.

Aragorn has you tracking down missing Nazgul while he journeys to Rvendell, hunting down bandits to assist his rangers in protecting the townsfolk while he prepares to meet the hobbits etc... Although the later books seem to take a little detour, having a bit less to do with the fellowship. They are more side line quests that have you engaging in struggles that affect middle earth on a lesser level. But most definitely give a sense of helping in a larger purpose as opposed to constant hide gathering.

But, all the while it is very story driven for middle earth.

The epic quest line isn't something that has to be done at all even to level. It is there for those who want it and really is the heart of the game though. If you ask me, without it, then the "wow clone" comment would have more meat to it.

You can quest the typical MMO "kill 12 boars and bring me their nipples" quests to the cap. And the game has its fair share of those I can tell you. But it also has other unique non epic related quests.

It's just much more story driven than wow if you ask me.

By the way, this coming from someone who might buy the wow xpak with a gift card come Christmas just to try the new death knight class and see what's doing over there.....

So, I guess you can say that Lotro is the game i'd pay for while WoW is the game i'd try again if I got a gift card..
      While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

• I've named my first legendary item, a 2-handed greatsword, "Schadenfreude".

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• My legendary item. Right before I ventured into Moria...
          Attached Files
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• And the steps to the entrance of Moria.

It's hard to get a sense of scale from this, though the little person just a little up the steps should help...

It's very, very impressive.
            Attached Files

Comment

• More trailers of really cool parts of the Mines of Moria. Just massive.

LotRO: Mines of Moria `Redhorn Lodes` Trailer

LotRO: Mines of Moria `Great Delving` Trailer

LotRO: Mines of Moria `Zelem-melek` Trailer

Comment

• Watcher in the Water:

Comment

• This is related to the conversation earlier, different estimates:

According to this data, LOTRO has hit 300,000 subscribers.

EVE Online has 195,000 subscribers, Everquest 2 has 185,000 subscribers.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is now up to 35,000 subscribers.

Comment

• Man, second life is huge
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by Nostromo
                      Man, second life is huge
                      It's VERY deceptive. Those numbers are not "premium subscribers", but anyone who has ever created a free account, ever.

The Guild Wars numbers are also misleading because they can never go down, and I'm pretty sure they also include expansion sales...

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

It's VERY deceptive. Those numbers are not "premium subscribers", but anyone who has ever created a free account, ever.

The Guild Wars numbers are also misleading because they can never go down, and I'm pretty sure they also include expansion sales...
                        I don't know squat about Second Life but I believe you are correct about Guild Wars.

But it really shouldn't be tracked with MMO subscriptions because there is no subscription. Its a different animal.
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• LotRO is doing well if it stays around 300K subscribers - not many non-free MMOs do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
                            LotRO is doing well if it stays around 300K subscribers - not many non-free MMOs do that.
                            It's not staying there though, I'm certain it's rising.

The past few weeks I've had to deal with server queues to log in...

And LOTRO hasn't yet launched in Asia (it will very shortly), which will help its numbers.

Comment

• edit: ignore me

Comment

• We usually do.

Comment

Working...
                                X