Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And here is a website devoted to people who stay in Pre Sear

Pre Sear Community
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• Originally posted by conmcb25

He really should do that quest that grants a skill point from Devona.
      I think it's a primary quest anyway. Even if not, it's no huge loss.

ill think you should get the belt pouch, its easy enough.
      Again with you and the damn pouch.

The problem with the quest is it requires a RANDOM drop. 5 of them. It can get REAL annoying real fast. Same with it's Nightfall variant. Yes, it's SUPPOSED to be simple enough, but it CAN become a pain in the ass in a hurry. They should have made it like the feed the devourer quest and ensured all skales dropped the requisite item until the quest was cleared.

But, it's like 30 gold post searing. Not worth the time, IMO. If you happen on 5 skale fins, great. If not, it's nothing to cry about.

UnO and I will help with your first set of armor and additional bags in Ascalon city post sear. The armor is way better than anything you can get in pre sear.

Here is the list of all the quests you can do in pre sear:

List of quests in Pre and post sear
      As said, Con and I have been in disagreement on this topic for years now.

And here is a website devoted to losers who stay in Pre Sear
      Fixed.
      One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Pre-searing is popular because the world is so much more developed. It's clear they decided they couldn't do that for the whole game and cut back on map design afterwards.

But I agree the game starts proper with post-searing in terms of partying, quests and missions. I never went back there after I'd got one of each Prophecies class in post-searing.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrSpike
          Pre-searing is popular because the world is so much more developed. It's clear they decided they couldn't do that for the whole game and cut back on map design afterwards.
          I've never bought that argument. Show me any example where the map design is so much better in pre-sear. The only real difference is the fact the peon's let you stroll on by them instead of the suicide that is attacking you for no reason.

I think the PERCEPTION is there, because pre-searing is boring. Err, I mean, it allows you to stop and smell the roses a lot more than other areas. But, it's not better by design.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• The landscapes are more varied and the artwork is better.

Comment

• More varied landscapes?

It's the same monotonous perpetual forest crapola through 80% of it. You have small areas of difference over in the snow with the elem trainer or down in the catacombs with the necros, but for the most part one area may as well be the next.

Post searing just hits you in the face with the grey blob that the storyline dictates right after, I admit.

But, Kryta from swamps to beaches to forest is easily up to par, if not better. Heck, even the jungle has it's moments if you go seek them out. But, that's the thing, few people ARE seeking out the areas post-searing. Most are just following the quest lines. There's alot of beauty out there for the mappers.

Artwork is a matter of taste. Since most of the art is reused elsewhere, I'm sort of at a loss there.
              Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; October 15, 2008, 14:34.
              You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Gramps and Tuberski are n00bs.

I agree that the belt pouch isn't worth it for those of us who have been around for a while but I still think a n00b should have to experience the whole game much as we did back three years ago.

So go farm the scale fins, Ive never seen it take more than three or four runs, and that doesn't take too long.

So it's not a matter of hurry up and get out of pre sear which is your viewpoint, its more like "experience the whole game, without constantly getting your hand held", which is my viewpoint.

And a lot of times collector weapons are good things to have especially for heros, and what do you need to do for collector weapons? Collect drops. So might as well get used to it
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

• I agree with Con ... you perform better in the Searing and post-sear quests if you have experienced the whole pre-sear, at least once. If you don't have the patience for a few Skale Fin runs, you won't last long in the game...

That said, if I were developing a new character, I might well skip that part.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• You are still in the Guild BTW Snoop, so if you get the urge let me know. Im actually playing a lot more now than I was when you went thru Nightfall.

Comment

• Unless you guys made a conscious effort specifically to "experience the whole of pre-sear" at least once, I find it HIGHLY doubtfull that you actually did.

The fact of the matter is that if you are somewhat experienced with RPG's, you really DO NOT need pre-searing at all. NONE of the unique things to GW actually are available in Pre-searing. It's just you going and fetching like every other RPG. Not enough skills to make a build. Unless you're heading across the wall, no enemies hard enough to NEED a build.

And, farming is farming. Farm the husks for something or other, farm the belts for something else, farm the skeleton arms for yet another thing, loadstones for that, farm up whatever else for your armor. The Belt pouch is total and utter idiocy.

It should be a collector, NOT a quest, like all the other farming bs, OR it should be made like the feeding the devourer quest, where the items always drop. Or the quest should be to go FIND a collector to teach newbs they need to look for collectors, and why. As it is, it's just an idiotic waste.

You learn more in Ascalon, with a party size of 4 and henchmen, about what makes GW unique. Thus, presearing is really pointless, and Ascalon is the true newb land, IMO.
                      You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Actually I did on the Ranger, but lets just agree to disagree on this point.

A belt pouch is no big deal when we are buying the n00bs there first new outfit in Ascalon, that is agreed.

I just think they should work for some things early in the game thats all. And getting 5 scale fins is probably one of the easiest collector efforts you are going to be faced with, mainly because its so easy to do solo, and like you said you don't even need a build.

Lets just say I don't think we should hand everything to them on a silver platter. And Im not saying thats your method in general.

We just disagree on what should be on the silver platter and in the greater scheme of Guild Wars, getting or not getting the pouch in pre sear is no big deal.

If Gramps and Tuberski were MMO vets, I would say forget it, but they aren't. So I just look at it differently.

Comment

• Originally posted by conmcb25
                          Actually I did on the Ranger, but lets just agree to disagree on this point.
                          And you probably had the guide next to you while doing it. I'm guessing it also put you at level 8ish or more. The average person just wandering around is more likely to leave before experiencing it all.

I personally found presearing so mind numbingly boring I very nearly quit playing. Were it not for Kon and Sharpe urging me to just leave and join them in post, I might have.

I can totally understand someone, even a NEW someone (I had only really played DiabloII before this) being bored out of their mind in pre-searing. So, to tell someone they MUST do this and that and the other may just put them off the entire game.

So, I say come on over if you're bored, and I'll spot you anything you missed, and get you set up with the armor to survive post-searing and whatever weapon I happen to have in inventory that I didn't sale/salvaged since the last time I played. (been doing that for AGES. Back when Uber joined and I really couldn't afford to do so, even.)

Now, the stuff after that first one, they can have fun with.
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

• Just a different approach is all, and Im not telling them to do EVERYTHING, just four or 5 must do's and then cross over at level 5 or 6.

We just disagree on the belt pouch thats all.

Comment

• I crossed over at level 7 and felt much better for it ...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

• Pretty sure the highest I ever crossed at was 5. Typically it's 3-4. I'm not sure if it's POSSIBLE to cross at lvl 2...
                                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                                X