No announcement yet.

Assassin's Creed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is insane. I could build a computer for a fraction of that price (I have, in fact). Of course, prices on components are higher over there, so I'm not sure how it compares, and most of what's going into that one is crazy high-end enthusiast stuff that I'd never pay for either. If you can afford it, more power to you! It's a lot better looking than the Alienware, that's for sure.
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

No kidding, it's not too different from mine but over twice the price.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Having read a few of the reviews tonight I think this looks interesting, but I'm going to have to put it towards the back of the pile.

Comment

If that were in USD it might be somewhat reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            Having read a few of the reviews tonight I think this looks interesting, but I'm going to have to put it towards the back of the pile.
            I feel the same way. 60 bucks is a lot of money for a game that seems to nose dive after an hour or so. I'll save my money for Mario Galaxy, CoD4, and some older titles I wanna try (like Wind Waker)

Comment

Today's Penny Arcade has an interesting take on this title...
              Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Essentially, their point is that when you play this game as an Assassin RPG, i.e., actually finding the hidden things and stalking your prey, the game is quite good. When you are trying to rush through it, like a reviewer on a deadline would do, the game becomes rather repetetive.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                I second that the alienware PC looks fugly. The only people I've seen with such ugly beasts were just as ugly, for what it's worth.

Personally, I prefer my PC case. Not just because I prefer the aesthetics, but because it's ultra quiet and has great thermal characteristics. Also, it doesn't look like a child's toy. Does the Alienware make pre-recorded sounds when you pull its ripcord?

I have a P180B similar to that one but without the water tube holes
                The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

Originally posted by Kinjiru
                  Today's Penny Arcade has an interesting take on this title...
                  Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Essentially, their point is that when you play this game as an Assassin RPG, i.e., actually finding the hidden things and stalking your prey, the game is quite good. When you are trying to rush through it, like a reviewer on a deadline would do, the game becomes rather repetetive.
                  I've seen some quite heated discussion on various Xbox forums about whether the game is great or repetitive - it really seems a love it or hate it game.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

I've seen some quite heated discussion on various Xbox forums about whether the game is great or repetitive - it really seems a love it or hate it game.
                    :shudder: you are brave to hang out there Have you got the game, what do you think? It looked and sounded like it was going to be pretty cool........consoles need another good thief type game.

Comment

No, I'm not going to get this right now as I've too many other games to play.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid
                        Have you got the game, what do you think? It looked and sounded like it was going to be pretty cool........consoles need another good thief type game.
                        I have played this game about half way through. There are a couple of things that jump out at me about it.

1. The graphics are like nothing you have seen. It's true. The game looks very sexy and polished. The models, animations, and level design are all very well done, IMO. I personally think they went overboard with some effects (for instance, when your character is concentrating on something, he has a kind of tunnel vision, where everything outside of the main target is blurry), but overall, this is by far one of the best looking and most stylish games out there. It appeals to me also on the technology level. I have dealt with graphics programming all throughout college, and virtually all of my college friends are in the games industry now, so it's just cool to me, all the stuff that they did with this game.

*** possible spoiler ***

2. The story is disappointing to me. I'll try not to reveal anything, but basically, the setting is not exactly what the ads have lead you to believe, and the interludes between missions are simply painful to watch. The voice acting is fine (with the glaring exception of the main character), but the lines are sometimes way too cheesy. Some will argue that it's just a game, and a console one at that, so what do you expect? But I disagree, games like the Darkness, and even Dead Rising, have kinda raised the bar on that front, I think. As a full disclosure note here, I haven't actually finished the game yet, so I don't know for sure how the story ends. It might be good, though I strongly suspect I know exactly what's going to happen, and I am not looking forward to thinking "I called it".

*** end possible spoiler ***

3. Finally, the gameplay itself... I was severely disappointed at first. Mainly because it is not what I expected at all. I expected basically Hitman set in the time of the crusades. I expected sneaking around, killing one or two people in an hour-long mission, and then making a stealthy escape. If that's what you expect, well, it's time to revise the expectation.

You will engage in big street fights with guards, and some of the assassination missions simply cannot be done stealthily. Part of the trouble for me is the checkpoint system. Basically, the game will auto-save your progress fairly often. I am generally kind of impatient, and part of my playstyle is to go in with a bang and get myself killed, just to see where the guards might be coming from, and then try to replay stealthily. That's maybe kind of a bad habit I picked up from Hitman. And this doesn't work in AC, because pretty much always you will replay from a point where the guards already know you are there and it's too late to go stealthy.

Also, the "task" structure is kind of repetitive in some sense: you come to a new city district, you climb towers to look around, you do a few of the four or five types of missions to gather intel, and then you go kill the "bad" guy. So in terms of what you have to do, yes, it gets old fast, especially since the "puzzles" (the tower climbing part) are for the most part such that a seven year old won't be stuck on them for more than a few minutes. So here, again, the enjoyment is derived simply from exploration. The environment is very detailed and very well done. So if you walk around enjoying the views, you will like it. If that's not your thing and/or you just try to complete every task as fast as possible, it will get boring faster than you can spell "Assassin".

So, in summary. Don't expect: hitman, stealth, complex puzzles, or imaginative mission structure. Do expect: incredible graphics, a well thought-out environment, big street brawls with some sick finishing moves (once you master the controls to do combos/deflections/etc), a big world you would enjoy exploring if you are into that kind of thing, and a dumb story twist.

Overall, I can see how people would be *****ing about the game. I myself was severely disappointed at first. But if you disregard some reviewers who haven't actually played the game, and forget the hype made about the game pre-release, it's still a good experience. Perhaps not a buy, but I would definitely recommed a rent, if you can keep it for a couple of weeks, and take it slow.
                        XBox Live: VovanSim
                        xbox.com (login required)
                        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                        Spore page

Comment

I have found this to absolutely be the case. I'm at the halfway mark, and while I agree that *structurally* the missions are repetitive, the stalking aspect makes the game a wonder.

****POSSIBLE SPOILER*****

I love the story arc and the way you're introduced to the assassin in the holy land, but have to agree that the interlude scenes (the "flash-forwards" if you will) are jarring. Still, Altair's story arc is excellent (tho, from where I'm sitting now, perhaps a shade predictable...we shall see!).

Still, all I can say to the folks who cry "repetivive, and therefore dull" is that they're not immersing themselves in fully into the style of the game. Yes, if you play an assassin game, and you rush thru it, it's prolly going to feel....meh.

But if you get in the mud and really stalk that prey.....different story, at least, IMO.

Anyway, I give it a 9/10, and I don't usually even LIKE these kinds of games. If they can turn a non-fan onto the genre...that's doing something.

Altair!

"Leap of Faith"

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                            "Leap of Faith"
                            I enjoy those too.

Jumping off the edge, thinking there's going to be some hay down below, not hearing the cry of the eagle, and knowing you are going to die, while in free fall.

XBox Live: VovanSim
                            xbox.com (login required)
                            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
                            Spore page

Comment

Working...
                            X