No announcement yet.

Console Wars II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfortunately all of my likely candidates already have an Xbox.

Comment

• More Japanese developers jumping onto Xbox. Where's Agathon to continue to pump up Sony's resurgence.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183068...tag=latestnews;title;3

Atlus plugs into Xbox 360
      RPG-centric publisher to bring Operation Darkness and Spectral Force 3 to Microsoft's console in 2008.
      By Tom Magrino, GameSpot
      Posted Nov 16, 2007 4:31 pm PT

While not a high-profile publisher in the West, Atlus has developed a reputation for bringing relatively niche Japanese role-playing and action games to Nintendo and Sony platforms stateside. Today, the Irvine, California-based American arm of the Japanese company announced it would be extending that reach to Microsoft's Xbox 360 as well.

"We are very proud to pledge our support to the Xbox 360 and to officially partner with Microsoft to bring quality titles to their impressive entertainment system," said Atlus USA exec Tim Pivnicny. "Atlus is renowned for its expertise and excellence in the RPG genre with critically acclaimed hits like Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 and Odin Sphere, in addition to the award-winning Trauma Center franchise."

Along with revealing its agreement with Microsoft to become an officially sanctioned third-party publisher, Atlus has announced two games for the console, both due out in 2008. Operation Darkness is a strategy role-playing game that puts a fantastical spin on the European front during World War II, giving players magical powers to thwart Hitler's advancing tide. Atlus did not attach a developer to the game, though it did launch an official teaser site.

Also slated to arrive in 2008 from Atlus is Idea Factory's Spectral Force 3. Released for the 360 in Japan in 2006, Spectral Force 3 is the first installment in the role-playing series to arrive in the West, and Atlus claims the game features more than 50 hours of gameplay spread out over more than 150 missions. Players assume the role of a mercenary commander and are able to recruit 40 unique characters to their cause.

Neither Operation Darkness nor Spectral Force 3 has been rated.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Are you being funny by constructing a strawman in saying what I said was a strawman? I didn't attribute anything in that comment to you whatsoever.

If it was an attempt to be funny, it was not.
        If it was an attempt to be serious, it was a joke.
        Ok, I'll assume this was serious and respond directly:

"Yes, its revenues are only over 100 million less. Outstanding for a console that is apparently something everyone wants and no issues at all in software sales."

If the Wii were something that everyone wanted and had no issues at all in software sale, of course that would not be outstanding, as we'd expect it to outsell the 360 in combined SW and HW.

However the Wii is widely called (and not just here) a machine that is largely selling to a market that doesnt buy software. The paucity of highly rated titles has been noted, the only debate has been whether that should be expected to change. And of course its HW AND SW are priced lower than for 360. (and yes, I know that should help their volume)

Given all that, being as close in total sales ratio to the 360 as they are, is not bad.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• The issue was always third-party sales, not Nintendo's software sales. You are obfuscating the issue.

Nintendo is golden here. Their software is selling well enough, their hardware is selling excellently. The doubt was in third party sales.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The issue was always third-party sales, not Nintendo's software sales. You are obfuscating the issue.

Nintendo is golden here. Their software is selling well enough, their hardware is selling excellently. The doubt was in third party sales.
            given that 360 does well with 1st part AND 3rd party sales, Id say having only the latter would be a problem. Especially given that with the Wii being last gen technology, and the Wiimote being a poorly implemented gimmick, it would (I assume) impact the quality of their 1st party releases as well.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark
              given that 360 does well with 1st part AND 3rd party sales, Id say having only the latter would be a problem. Especially given that with the Wii being last gen technology, and the Wiimote being a poorly implemented gimmick, it would (I assume) impact the quality of their 1st party releases as well.
              Uhh....WTF? only having 3rd party sales? What are you talking about. You're so confusing.

Nintendo's first party games will always sell well, for the same reason's Apple's products will always sell well to the same audience.

Comment

Uhh....WTF? only having 3rd party sales? What are you talking about. You're so confusing.

Nintendo's first party games will always sell well, for the same reason's Apple's products will always sell well to the same audience.
                Oopsy, I meant to type former, obviously.

Comment

• from Gamespot:

"Today, several analysts weighed in on the discrepancy. Analysts agreed across the board that one of the primary contributing factors to October not living up to their expectations was the significant drop in software sales for the PlayStation 2, which were down 29 percent year over year. However, Pacific Crest Securities analyst Evan Wilson sees a logical explanation behind this drop. "This month, NPD did not receive data from Toys R Us for the first time," he noted. "It appears that mass-market titles on the Wii, DS, and PS2 are underrepresented in the data." "

Comment

• NPD also doesn't account for Walmart sales, which has had some impressive 360 bundles.

Comment

• Super Mario Galaxy sold 500,000 copies in its first week in the US. Pretty good, but no Halo...

Comment

• With the game launch so near Christmas, perhaps many wait for it to get it as a present. I know I do. But 500.000 is a large quantity.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
                          With the game launch so near Christmas, perhaps many wait for it to get it as a present. I know I do. But 500.000 is a large quantity.
                          Honest question, how do you think people get it as a present if it's not purchased before Christmas?

Comment

• BTW, for Canadians...

Dell's deal today for games is $44 for Bioshock (360), and $34 for Super Mario Galaxy (Wii).

Comment

Honest question, how do you think people get it as a present if it's not purchased before Christmas?
                              Don't make yourself dumber than you are, most people buy most of their presents within the last days before Christmas.
                              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nikolai
                                Don't make yourself dumber than you are, most people buy most of their presents within the last days before Christmas.
                                A lot do, sure.

Using your logic, I'm sure Halo 3 sales are going to be astronomical in Dec still.

Comment

Working...
                                X