Cool adventure games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sn00py
    I'm surprised you worked on an adventure game Mike; do you think there is a market for adventure games again, similar to the earlier ones? I had a lot of fun with them when I was a kid, I wonder if kids these days would get the same feeling if the game was made right (modern, but not too 3Dish). 3D is nice, like Syberia, Dreamfall and TLJ, but it doesn't leave much for the imagination and of course, where is the quirky, whimsical graphics? I always found that to make the game so much more interesting. Especially the likes of Lesiure Suit Larry 5.
    I've actually worked on 3 adventure games (that were release anyway): Chronomaster, 101 Dalmatians: Escape from DeVil Manor (yes, I know it's a Disney game), and Sanitarium. Adventure games are easily my favorite genre of games (especially the humorous ones). There really isn't much of a market for "pure" adventure games anymore; maybe they're not "next-gen" enough . I think only the hybrid games with more action are really viable now. But that doesn't bother me because I like those too. And some companies still do make adventure games but they don't get a lot of press or attention and they generally don't sell large numbers.

And I don't have any issue with the 3D graphics. 3D does not equal realistic. You can make very cartoony-looking games with 3D graphics; it all depends on the artistic style they choose.

Here's one to check out from ex-Lucas Arts employees: A Vampyre Story
    Last edited by Mike Breitkreutz FIRAXIS; July 16, 2007, 14:16.
    Mike Breitkreutz
    Programmer
    FIRAXIS Games

Comment

Yeah, there are more games released in this genre than most people realised - some fan based, some commercial. The JustAdventure was a good fan site covering new releases, though haven't been there for a while.

Comment

One recent adventure release, made in the classic style of old point-and-click games, is Al Emmo by Himalaya Studios. (The two head devs there are the same people who've been releasing remakes as AGD Interactive.) I have the game and it frankly can't top some of my favorites like Quest for Glory, but it's good fun and you should definitely check it out if you liked the old Sierra or LucasArts games.

Comment

Working...
        X