No announcement yet.

mostover rateded games ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I think about it Half-Life 2 is the most overrated game I've ever played. The others have been less hyped or have been abandoned by the game review sites. The only other game that comes close is Civ3 but, as pointed out by other poster above, it was only overrated when you look what Civ4 got. Half-Life 2 only had easy combat (even at the hardest level) and annoying puzzles. The sound was good and the graphics were insane. But that does not make fun game-play. Most overrated game ever (by game review sites at least).
    “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

MJW, if I recall correctly, it was the fanbase that hyped it, not valve or sierra and even review sites were quite reserved with their speculations.

Half Life 2 had a lot to live up to because of Half-Life 1 being so good. Half Life 2 is not overrated in my opinion, it gets the raves and rates it deserved. No more no less.

It's the same case with Civ, I remember how hyped up Civ3 was because of how great Civ 1 and 2 were.
      be free

Comment

Ugh. The only thing that Half-Life 2 had that other FPS games did not have is the graphics. That's it. And as I said before Civ3 is only overrated when you look at what Civ4 got.
        “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

Outpost
          The Sims
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I looked stuff up and found that outpost was overrated but I have not played it. I wonder why I did not think of the Sims.

Comment

Because high sales != highly rated
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by MJW
                Ugh. The only thing that Half-Life 2 had that other FPS games did not have is the graphics. That's it.
                Physics engine?
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  The Sims
                  qft

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

Physics engine?
                    All it added was a handful of puzzles that could have been done by scripts and the gravity gun which could have been modeled by making a powerful but clumsy weapon with infinite ammo. Oh, and Doom3 came up with the gravity gun before half-life 2 but did not put in the game because it would be to boring.

Comment

• I enjoyed Half-Life 2

OTOH, Doom 3 was hugely overrated, IMO. Next gen graphics with last gen gameplay.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by MJW
                        I looked stuff up and found that outpost was overrated but I have not played it. I wonder why I did not think of the Sims.
                        Shame you didn't. I couldn't possibly have argued with your post then.

Comment

• Originally posted by nostromo
                          I enjoyed Half-Life 2

OTOH, Doom 3 was hugely overrated, IMO. Next gen graphics with last gen gameplay.
                          By some game sites yes. I agree with your statement. However, enjoying HL2 is not enough. One has to think it is one of the best games even not to think of it as overrated. It is not one of the best games ever.

Doom3 was made to have last gen gameplay otherwise Id would call the game something else.

Oh, and do to RL I cannot post for a week or so.

Comment

• Originally posted by MJW

Oh, and do to RL I cannot post for a week or so.
                            Aw, ****. What are we going to do untill then!??
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclotron

The other thing that bothered me about WCII is that nobody ever missed (much like in SC; no attack ever missed in SC unless the defender had higher ground or was behind a tree). C&C had a much better projectile system in which accuracy was actually something to consider.
                              The reason why most players prefer blizzard RTS over Westwood/EA's C&C series is because c&c series is so vague in how the game's engine works. Why did the missle miss? how fast does the vehicle have to move to evade? In which direction? if it was a smaller vehicle or an infantry would it have missed? etc etc etc. It rarely provides any answers on how things work so competitive players have only rely on empirical knowledge to make a decision. whereas in blizzard games it can be proven theoretically with game engine's calculations. And you'd be very suprised where how many empirical knowledges in blizzard games were proven wrong by simple damage armor and other calculations of the game engine...

Yes, attacks in general do not miss, but they have a fixed range of dmg that they do, so its not a suprise like in c&c when missle hits a target in a.o.e and the unit takes barely any dmg. And if there is evasion skill, spell or whatever, it gives you the exact %.

Thats why more MP ppl prefer blizzard games. No one wants to play games where rules are unknown to you and may throw off results. in blizzard games everything is numerical and very clear. In C&C, even if you research indepth about how game engine works you dont always get the answer because of so much random bull****.
                              :-p

Comment

• Not that I disagree with any of that but it's one of the many reasons rather than the reason.

Comment

Working...
                                X