Clear All

• mostover rateded games ever

My top 10 in no order

Black & White
    Half-life 2
    Final Fansty 7
    M002
    Kohan 2
    Civ3 (at least beginning when it was crazy broken; all the reviews were made then)
    Any Total War game after Shogun
    Any Pokemon game
    Sudoku (it's okay but it overhyped.)
    Halo (good--but even gamespy (?) called this a Sacred cow)

It is interesting to note that most of these games spawned or came from sequels.
    “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Super Mario Sunshine is WAY up on that list. Was an awful game from start to finish and got lots of 95% type reviews...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Overrated in the gaming magazine and Internet media reviews? Plenty of games were and are, because the reviewers are trying to beat each other to reviewing the game first and when the release date is just around a day or so before the reviewer's deadline hour for the monthly magazine, the magazine tends to trust the hype instead of playing the game and thinking about whether it was good or not.

I'm limiting my list to video games you talked about:
      Black & White, definitely
      Civilization III is only insanely overrated when you start comparing it's treatment to Civilization IV when it was released. Both were given pretty much the same scores and same sub-scores (including music/soundworld, which got high 70s or 6-8 points in the largest magazines ).
      Master of Orion II, not really. It wasn't treated as the BEST GAME EVAH but a very sound one, and such it was IMHO.
      I agree with you about the Total War games, there wasn't really much added after the first one but the publisher seemed to get in the hype and PR machine in a better way, since Shogun was rated low 80s and 7-8 while it's sequels we're hyped to heaven in the press.
      Half-Life 2, well yeah. Good FPS but not a great one, and really not the messiah it was treated as.

Comment

Re: mostover rateded games ever

Originally posted by MJW
        My top 10 in no order (DrSpike's comments in bold)

Black & White not rated highly after release!
        Half-life 2 No classic but pretty good. Probably worth it's reviews
        Final Fansty 7 What are you smoking?
        M002 Again, lay off the crack ok?
        Kohan 2 didn't play it but don't remember it being particularly highly rated anyway
        Civ3 (at least beginning when it was crazy broken; all the reviews were made then) rated about right overall I'd say
        Any Total War game after Shogun the one saving grace of your list
        Any Pokemon game never played but you're probably right
        Sudoku (it's okay but it overhyped.) no comment
        Halo (good--but even gamespy (?) called this a Sacred cow) really, drugs are bad, mmkay

Comment

pokemon is appropriate punishment for parents who buy consoles for their kids
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The original Pokemon was a great game for a handheld. The sequels aren't any worse, but they don't really offer much more either.

Comment

pokémon snap is a fun N64 game at 4am. i don't actually like pokémon tho.

Comment

Civ3 isn't really overrated. It's worse than the other Civ games, but it's still better than the average game. Yes, it had a number of game-breaking bugs before the first patch, but it seems reviews tend not to notice that for any game.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'd say Oblivion more than any on that list.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I remember Hidden & Dangerous receiving 90%+ scores in most magazines, even though it contained some incredibly bad bugs.

It was a good game (when you weren't getting your legs stuck in the ground/vehicle or being catapulted into the sky on a gust of wind), but 90% is BS.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                      I'd say Oblivion more than any on that list.
                      QFT

Comment

I disagree; Oblivion rocked.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          The original Pokemon was a great game for a handheld. The sequels aren't any worse, but they don't really offer much more either.
                          It was a great game for the handheld. But they where like 'this well change gameing forever'. All the others where pointless.

Super Mario Sunshine is a very overated game to. ff7 is overated because people always call it the best game of the serires. Civ3 is clearly overated when compared to Civ4 and Civ3's flaws only really influnce the high-end players

here are examples that are mostly good... It has some major holes in it

Last edited by MJW; May 2, 2007, 19:57.
                          “...This means GCA won 7 battles against our units, had Horsemen retreat from 2 battles against NMs, and lost 0 battles.” --Jon Shafer 1st ISDG

Comment

I like gamespy but the list is a bit meh. Daikatana was getting bad press before the release.

Dead or Alive is considered a great sex game....not really known for much else.

BC3000 was always a joke.

Just a few examples.
                            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

The hype for Oblivion wasn't that high, compared to other games, I guess that's because the fanbase has learned not to expect too high of games anymore.

I think the hype for Oblivion was about right, I liked the game, and enjoyed the scenery and mechanics, but the overall gameplay was a little dry for me, the game would have been a lot better if there were more terrain types, despite the size of the world, I felt trapped.
                              be free

Comment

Working...
                              X