No announcement yet.

BG2 = getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

though you can only have one romance at a time. No 3 ways. . Unless you install a mod to allow multiple romances.

Yeah I suggest doing the slavers quest. And there's a cool sword in the sewers beneath the copper coronet. You have to solve a riddle to get it. The riddle isn't hard, but getting finding one of the pieces requires a little bit of thought (about where the piece is).

Rayas. sounds familiar. Where is he at? If I know where he is, I'll now which battle that is. I take it he's in the docks. Is that the wizard that someone asks you to kill? That one is a little tough. But it's a good test, so you will need to learn how to defeat wizards. There are a lot of spell casters in this game compared to BG1 (which was mainly lots of melee characters). Sometimes they cast annoying spells like confusion and fear, and you have to learn how to overcome these. And of course timestop (which you can't overcome).

Comment

It's Rayic Gethras. Edwin asks you to kill him as part of Renal Bloodscalp's quest to trap Mae'Var. From what I remember it's not a difficult fight at all. Perhaps if LOTM gave a more precise description of what precisely gives him problems I could help more.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

In general, it's easier to send in one or two characters suited to the task and leave the rest of your party behind - follow with them when the initial dangers (like a particularly bad demon, or a timestop) have been overcome or one of the designated character is in trouble. When you proceed with your whole party, you'll always have one of your character fail its save and somehow get killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
          though you can only have one romance at a time. No 3 ways. . Unless you install a mod to allow multiple romances.

Yeah I suggest doing the slavers quest. And there's a cool sword in the sewers beneath the copper coronet. You have to solve a riddle to get it. The riddle isn't hard, but getting finding one of the pieces requires a little bit of thought (about where the piece is).

Rayas. sounds familiar. Where is he at? If I know where he is, I'll now which battle that is. I take it he's in the docks. Is that the wizard that someone asks you to kill? That one is a little tough. But it's a good test, so you will need to learn how to defeat wizards. There are a lot of spell casters in this game compared to BG1 (which was mainly lots of melee characters). Sometimes they cast annoying spells like confusion and fear, and you have to learn how to overcome these. And of course timestop (which you can't overcome).
          I think the romance with Aeerie has er, culminated. Though its not quite clear from the dialogue. I presume this means no more annoying romance dialogue from Jaheira.

I freed the slaves at the Coronet, but still havent gone to the slave ship - though ive found the entry to the sewers.

Im thinking to beat Rayas I need to mainly just take the spellcasters - and load up on the spells that break his defences. I have "pierce", but have not reached a level to use it yet. So all ive got is the combat dispell magic.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

There are quite a few romance conversations. I always seem to say the wrong thing (as in real life). I had to use a faq from gamefaq's to help me. If only there were one of these in real life...

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
              Im thinking to beat Rayas I need to mainly just take the spellcasters - and load up on the spells that break his defences. I have "pierce", but have not reached a level to use it yet. So all ive got is the combat dispell magic.
              Secret Word and Breach are your friends.

Comment

I never used secret word (maybe I should have?). Breach is an absolute necessity. I think it's a level 5 spell. Make sure your spellcasters can cast it. I think all the NPC wizards can. But if someone is of the wrong spell school, they won't be able to cast it.

If you are using Jaheira have her cast insect plague or insect swarm on the enemy spellcaster. Works wonders.

Comment

Secret Word is not my favorite, but it's the only one available until you can cast level 6 spells or better.
                  Something appears to be broken in the game mechanics - often, Breach will work even if you haven't dispelled your enemy's magical defenses, even though it says nothing in the spell description about it tresspassing magical wards.

Comment

Ok, i got the sword of Lilacor (?). My only sword wielder is Minsc, so he gets it, and puts aside the sword of chaos, for now. I trust teh Lilacor sword is better, being +3 rather than +2, and that avoiding confusion spells (which seem pretty common in this game) is worth more than the hit point drain feature of the sword of chaos.

Of course if I could get a second tank, id be able to use both swords. But there dont seem to be that many tanks around, and the game doesnt seem real oriented toward them. Of course I picked up Nalia, I could drop Yoshino, and maybe one of the other spell casters - but which one (again, my current party is PC(Mage), Minsc,Jaheira, Amnonen, Yoshino, and Aeeryie.

Ive won the fight at the slaveholders in the room where you emerge from the sewers, but have yet to free the slaves. Afterwards, I will attempt to procure the spells you mention, and go deal with Rayas. I presume going back to the Harpers might be premature at this point? PC is level 10, but not that far from 11 - Id like to at least get him upto 11. Ive already got the offer from Baelan to lower the price, and the quest for the graveyard. Might go to the graveyard. OTOH Im thinking I should leave town soon.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

and Lilacor has personality.

Comment

ok, im finished with the slavers, so now im going back to the temple district to look for the actor guy in the sewers, and maybe try to buy "secret word" along the way. Like I said, ive got pierce, but need to be higher level to use it.

Comment

look for breach. I'm certain it's a level 5 spell (whereas pierce is a level 6 spell). Breach can be bought off a vender up in the "stands" near where you exited Irenicus' dungeon.

Comment

Good luck with your game. Enjoy the city while it lasts. the Island chapter is interesting, but the later underdark stuff drags. (That's where I currently am in the game)

My particular party includes:

Myself: Wizard Slayer Fighter (LG) [but perhaps the most belligerent LG fighter ever- I play this character with a temper only the gods can tame. Killed someone in the Copper Coronet who challenged to a wrestling match, then defeated every last scummy drow in the underdark fighting matches.]
                            Fighter: Minsc (CG)
                            Druid/Healer: The Guy Who can turn into a bear (NG?)
                            Cleric/Wizard: Aerie (NG?)
                            Wizard/Thief: Imoen (CG)
                            Wizard/Thief: Nalia ! (CG?)

Would like to replace Imoen, but Nalia can't advance any more as a thief . and Though Aerie is annoying, I'm at a point in the game where I can't easily replace her... If I do so though I'm thinking of picking up good old nasty-minded Edwin to bring some new dialogue-trees into my game! The game stopped having random dialogues about the time I entered the underdark, sadly.

Adventured a short time with Jaheria, then dumped her (Cannot stand her sanctimoniousness. Lost Yoshimo- one of my favorite characters- alas!
                            Spoiler:
                            I liked how they foreshadowed that in the Copper Coronet though!
                            , and adventured a short time with Korgan to loot tombs, and an even shorter time with Anomen because I simply cannot stand the guy.

Left Jan Jansen in the prisons. He broke the law, can rot for all my LG fighter cares. Helped Valygar.

Ode well. Have fun!
                            -->Visit CGN!
                            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I finally finished the quest to kill that Rayas guy - its not that bad once you get the hang of it, and yeah,breach really helps.

I then finished the last morvar and rene quests. Along the way I picked up Edwin by mistake (I tend to forget that an offer to guide me somewhere usually means joining the party, not a cutscene) and dropped Jaheira. Taking Edwin goes against my good RP, so I will drop him when I get to the Harpers - not sure how much I will do first.

Comment

There are a lot of bugs surrounding Jaheira and the Harpers. By dropping her, you may accidentally have broken the plot.

Comment

Working...
                                X