No announcement yet.

BG2 = getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found the expansion to BG2 to be a bit of a slog. very linear and combat focused. Having said that there are lots of interesting new goodies to make.

I've just restarted BG1 and the main problem I have is the low resolution - 640x400 I think, which looks painful on a 19" monitor and that the combat doesn't pause when you go to your inventory. BG2 is just a more refined product but I still think BG1 is worth playing. I found the expansion pack TOTSC much more interesting than Throne of Bhaal.

For BG2 characters its worth playing through again with different ones as it opens different quests and different relationships. The NPCs in BG1 always felt a bit lacking.

Comment

OK, Im thinking of playing through the first time as good, and so youd recommend a mage? I first tried an elven, non-specialized mage. But im starting again cause I did something stupid at the beginning (killed Jaheira). Would that (being elvish) matter much? A human mage better?

Looks nice. Better graphics, good dialogue so far. Im not sure I yet sense the UI improvements, but thats probably cause I dont remember BG1 that well.

I went to wiki and reviewed the plot of BG1.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Wiki pwns.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          OK, Im thinking of playing through the first time as good, and so youd recommend a mage? I first tried an elven, non-specialized mage. But im starting again cause I did something stupid at the beginning (killed Jaheira). Would that (being elvish) matter much? A human mage better?

Looks nice. Better graphics, good dialogue so far. Im not sure I yet sense the UI improvements, but thats probably cause I dont remember BG1 that well.

you are good and you killed Jaheira? What did she ever do to you?

Elf, human doesn't matter that much. In fact, I can barely remember 2nd edition rules. . Elves of course get the night vision and some resistances iirc. It's better to go specialized, but if you aren't sure about the spells, I'd just stick with non-specialized. There are a few spell schools you don't want to lock yourself out of. Evocation, the one that has breach in it, and a couple others are useful as well.

There aren't that many interface improvements. But enough to make it worthwhile. Pressing tab (or is it alt?) highlights containers (though the BG1 expansion added this as well). Accessing inventory will not unpause the game.

And yeah the graphics are better because you can run 800 X 600 or unlock the other resoultions and run it even higher. There is some nice artwork in this game (though I did enjoy some of the outdoor areas in Bg1).

It's good to have 2 mages. (magic is real powerful in Bg2). I'd recommend Nalia or Jan. Use Jan if you aren't using Yoshimo as your thief. For healing I'd use Jaheira or Anomen (semi-spoilerish: just remember he's aspiring to be a Paladin/Knight whatever, so when he gets in a dialogue choose the appropiate responses). And for fighter types you can use Minsc and Keldorn. The 6th spot is up to you. I like to rotate to do character specific quests or just to enjoy the dialogue between the NPC's. Just for the hell of it you could put an evil person in your party. That can spark some interesting and funny dialogue. Edwin has some of the best conversations between other NPC's.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike

Wiki pwns.
            Their coverage of D&D stuff seems pretty deep. Perhaps I shouldnt be surprised.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

i seem to be stuck.

Ive got Player character - human mage, imoen, minsc, and jaheira.
              Spoiler:
              Killed cambion, killed the monster in the pit, and the dwarves. Euthanized the person who gave me the batteries. Found the room with the tanks, but couldnt do anything. I cant get out the portal, and theres one door left (near the dwarve room) that Imoen cant open. I seem to need some figurine, but cant find it, and cant figure out what to do with the batteries.

hints?

Comment

Spoiler:
                The batteries activate one of the tanks, I think.

Comment

I haven't played BG2 in a long time, but I used to use the unofficial patches from Baldurdash. That project has long since died, but there's another fixpack in development at The Gibberlings 3 which takes off where Baldurdash left off. If you plan on dusting off this old classic, you might consider giving the BG2 Fixpack project a run. Version 1 has been recently released. The full list of fixes is quite staggering.

Originally posted by Standup
                  I've just restarted BG1 and the main problem I have is the low resolution - 640x400 I think, which looks painful on a 19" monitor and that the combat doesn't pause when you go to your inventory.
                  You could try BG1Tutu. IIRC, the installation was a bit cumbersome - until EasyTutu came along.
                  Catfish's Cave - Resources for Civ2: Test of Time | Test of Time FAQ | War of the Ring scenario

Comment

Originally posted by Tau Ceti
                    Spoiler:
                    The batteries activate one of the tanks, I think.
                    yeah, ive figured that out.
                    Spoiler:
                    But my Pl Char has the batteries, and went back to the tanks, and nothing seems to happen. Perhaps a dialogue choice im missing
                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish
                      I haven't played BG2 in a long time, but I used to use the unofficial patches from Baldurdash. That project has long since died, but there's another fixpack in development at The Gibberlings 3 which takes off where Baldurdash left off. If you plan on dusting off this old classic, you might consider giving the BG2 Fixpack project a run. Version 1 has been recently released. The full list of fixes is quite staggering.

You could try BG1Tutu. IIRC, the installation was a bit cumbersome - until EasyTutu came along.
                      EasyTutu is a new one on me.

Does it have all the features of BG tutu?

Comment

Well that's one to spend a Sunday afternoon...installing BGTutu (as well as reinstalling BG1,2 +XPs)

Hadn't seen this before and it makes a huge difference. I got a bit confused about mods so basically playing the original BG with the BG2 interface and it makes BG one much more playable (and fun).

And while I was surfing added a lot of the fixes/additions to BG2. Hadn't bothered with them before as there was always enough to do in BG2.

The only disappointment is that while kits are available now in BG1 they're not that much fun at low levels.

Started off as a Monk but a level 1 doesn't do much and most of the abilities are at every 3rd/4th level etc. If I was really patient then I guess i should be planning on taking him to BG2 but that seems soooo far away.

Comment

For BG2 characters its worth playing through again with different ones as it opens different quests and different relationships. The NPCs in BG1 always felt a bit lacking.
                          Imho, that's remedied by the BG1 NPC Project

I got a bit confused about mods...
                          Care to elaborate ? Install order ? Compatibility ?

The only disappointment is that while kits are available now in BG1 they're not that much fun at low levels.
                          Did you seriously expect a monk to be fun in BG1 ?? They're weak at the beginning of BG2 and even moreso in BG1, around level 14/15 they become usable. Regarding kits in general, some of them are pretty overpowered in BG1Tutu.

Comment

Did you seriously expect a monk to be fun in BG1 ??
                            Not really but that was the point I was making. Having the BG2 kits isn't as big a bonus as some of the other features.

Care to elaborate ? Install order ? Compatibility ?
                            Well partly self inflicted by thinking I could remember what everything does by it's file name

But also which mods are installed at which time. Do the BG2 mods work in BGTutu or only ones which are marked as such? Or none at all? Some mods don't mention Tutu at all so I'm assuming that they won't ? Or do I install pre-Tutu or post to try? I think part of the problem is that some readmes assume a bit more familiarity with the modding process than I have.

Anyway I'm going to try the BG1 NPC romance....

Comment

Not really but that was the point I was making. Having the BG2 kits isn't as big a bonus as some of the other features.
                              I beg to differ, sure the higher resolution is a major selling point, but being able to play as a berserker, a blade, a shapeshifter, an archer or an inquisitor has a noticeable effect ... not to speak of the totemic druid whose spirit animals are (were?) seriously overpowered for BG1. And finally don't forget the new 'classes', the barbarian, the sorcerer and the wild mage.

But also which mods are installed at which time. Do the BG2 mods work in BGTutu or only ones which are marked as such? Or none at all?...
                              You might want to take a look at this thread and the PPG Modlist.

Comment

never mind about the above request for help, I seem to have figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X