Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nims
    Imho, that's remedied by the BG1 NPC Project

Care to elaborate ? Install order ? Compatibility ?

Did you seriously expect a monk to be fun in BG1 ?? They're weak at the beginning of BG2 and even moreso in BG1, around level 14/15 they become usable. Regarding kits in general, some of them are pretty overpowered in BG1Tutu.
    which ones are overpowered? Those are the ones I want.

I now have this urge to play both BG1 and BG2.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
      never mind about the above request for help, I seem to have figured it out.
      cool. I'm not sure if spoiler tags are that necessary. Who hasn't played BG2? besides you of course.

Even though I've went through Irenicus' dungeion so many times, I had trouble remembering at what point you were stuck.

Comment

which ones are overpowered? Those are the ones I want.
        Totemic Druid if you don't install the "Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced" component from Tutufix. I doubt that it would be any fun but YMMV.

Not as overpowered but still powerful:
        Archer: Ranged combat rules in BG1.
        Blade: Offensive Spin does make a real difference at low levels + bards level fast.
        Shapeshifter: Being able to shift into a Werewolf at level 1.
        Berserker and Barbarian: Their respective Rage's give them some useful immunities and stat-enhancing.

Can't say how powerful the sorcerer and the wild mage are, as I don't care that much about arcane magic in BG1. The potential for those two should be there.

That was just a short explanation, if you want a more in depth one say so

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

cool. I'm not sure if spoiler tags are that necessary. Who hasn't played BG2? besides you of course.

Even though I've went through Irenicus' dungeion so many times, I had trouble remembering at what point you were stuck.
          I hadnt gone around to the bedroom near the dryads, and collected various keys.

Now Ive got Yoshino, and did the fight near where he is picked up, and got all the wands, though im not sure what they will be good for. Finally went through the locked door near the kitchen, to the airy place (whatever its called) some mean fights there.

When playing BG1, I never really relied on spellcasting, now it seems I have to, and there are so many spells whose nuance i need to know, it seems.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

yeah spells will take some getting used to. If you don't mind a little help, check out a spell faq on famefaqs.com.

The spells are actually kind of complicated for me (never played 2nd ed pnp D&D). I never did really figure out the differences between wheldings whip spell and ruby ray of reversal. I often just cast both of them and hope that their protections will go down. . Then I might cast some breach's.

I've always had trouble figuring out which spell to cast to bring down protections. This is something that is absolutely necessary. Esp when fighting the red dragon. I always have so much trouble bringing down that thing's protections. I struggle with that fight more than any other fight in the game. Because my guys are still relativily low level. I have more options when fighting the fight behind the secret door in the bridge for example. Because I wait till the end to do it.

But long story short, make sure you have someone learn and be able to cast the breach spell. Preferribly have both of your spell casters be able to cast that spell (in case one is silenced or is busy casting other stuff). But there are other protection disabling spells that are necessary too, like I mentioned above. Wheldings whip and ruby ray of reversal. Pierce magic isn't necessary. I never use it, though maybe I should.

By airy place I assume you meant the air elementals or whatever they were. That fight on that last big platform is a tough one indeed. This is where you probably found the need for spellcasters (though it's hard to keep spellcasters alive in this fight). Casting spells like web and fireball helps out a great deal in this fight. the problem is they all go after you at once.

If you use Jaheira, don't underestimate the power of some low damage spells like insect plague. The damage is negligible, the big bonus is incapacitating enemies. Which is real important in this game when facing large groups of enemies. If your fighters get swarmed (or even worse, they go after your spellcasters), you are going to be hurtin'. Often you will have to use your cleric to form a "line" to keep monsters from getting back to your mages. This is why it's important to have a strong enough cleric to do melee combat (don't bother with slings). If you use Viconia, give her something to increase her strength. That being said, perhaps I don't use my clerics/druid spells as much as I should. I do use them in a lot of melee to keep my mages safe. I mainly use their spells for buffing, healing, summoning, and in the opening round of a fight.

Speaking of summoning, clerics are very good at using the summon undead spell. Because they go up in levels higher than wizards. Once you get past level 12, you can summon a skeleton warrior. That thing will save your ass more than once. Summoning is very important in this game. It also helps occupy enemies while your fighters can dispatch enemies one at a time, and while your wizards are busy casting spells.

spells like web aren't bad, but often my own fighters get stuck in them. But web with a few well placed fireballs can work wonders.

Comment

the wands you can either sell them or use them. I think you can place them in a quick item slot and use them from there. Wands can be very useful at times.

If you already found Yoshimo, you probably already fought the clay golems and found out you need blunt weapons to hit them. Won't be the last time you fight golems, so just remember they are immune to certain weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                the wands you can either sell them or use them. I think you can place them in a quick item slot and use them from there. Wands can be very useful at times.

If you already found Yoshimo, you probably already fought the clay golems and found out you need blunt weapons to hit them. Won't be the last time you fight golems, so just remember they are immune to certain weapons.
                1. I dont actually have the wands, I have the wand keys. I see from a walkthrough that I have to disable the traps in that nasty trap room to get the wands. Im not sure the way they suggested (having Imoen do something to the first pillar) will work.

2. I had some blunt weapons anyway, but that must be why it took me so long to kill them. Interesting that golems are important here - thats a Jewish/Kabbalah thing in origin.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Ok, let me try to summarize

I need to know about

1. wheldings whip spell

2. ruby ray of reversal.
                  3. breach's.

I need to bring down protections, esp against the red dragon.

4. make sure you have someone learn and be able to cast the breach spell. Preferribly have both of your spell casters be able to cast that spell (in case one is silenced or is busy casting other stuff).

5. Pierce magic isn't necessary.maybe.

6. This is where you probably found the need for spellcasters (though it's hard to keep spellcasters alive in this fight). Casting spells like web and fireball helps out a great deal in this fight. the problem is they all go after you at once.

7. If you use Jaheira, don't underestimate the power of some low damage spells like insect plague.

8. Summoning is very important in this game. It also helps occupy enemies while your fighters can dispatch enemies one at a time, and while your wizards are busy casting spells.

Comment

Send stealthed scouts ahead to reveal enemies - set up a nest of Skull Traps - lure enemies back into the traps. Win.
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                      Send stealthed scouts ahead to reveal enemies - set up a nest of Skull Traps - lure enemies back into the traps. Win.
                      oh yes I forgot about that little trick. Not just skull traps, but traps any thief can set. Yoshimo is good in this regard. Works real well with enemies you can talk to before fighting them. Kind of an exploit, but whatever. . Imagine that in real life. A group of people come up and set traps all around you. Then the head guy comes up to you and talks to you, says something to piss you off. Then bam, all the traps go off.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

1. I dont actually have the wands, I have the wand keys. I see from a walkthrough that I have to disable the traps in that nasty trap room to get the wands. Im not sure the way they suggested (having Imoen do something to the first pillar) will work.

2. I had some blunt weapons anyway, but that must be why it took me so long to kill them. Interesting that golems are important here - thats a Jewish/Kabbalah thing in origin.
                        try not to use the walkthrough too much, it will spoil some fun. But you may need it on some of the harder puzzles (though most aren't too hard if you think about them).

First time around I didn't know to use those pillars. I think I just sucked up the damage from those traps. Though I think I found I could squezze around the very top part of the screen and get by the traps without setting them off. .

Comment

Originally posted by Dis

try not to use the walkthrough too much, it will spoil some fun. But you may need it on some of the harder puzzles (though most aren't too hard if you think about them).
                          I only go there when Im stuck, and havent gotten an answer here quickly enough (not complaining, sometimes I just want to move ahead) Good that Jamskis back, though

edit: oh, and you too this, just that jamskis knowledge of this game, well .......

Comment

IIRC Ruby Ray of Reversal will instantly kill ONE spell protection, whatever level. Whip will kill ALL protections level 8 or lower, at the rate of 1/round for X rounds.

BTW, I played the game with a Ranger dual classed to Cleric at level 9, that was an awful lot of fun. The Ranger/Cleric is probably the most powerful dual class.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I doubt it beats Berserker/Cleric.

Comment

What are the advantages of Berzerker/Cleric? I liked the Ranger/Cleric because they get to cast druidic spells (at all levels!) on top of the cleric ones.
                                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Working...
                                X